How hard can it be?

Having never played organized football, I would think it's VERY difficult to catch even a pass off a simple route.  The receiver usually knows he's gonna get hit...sometimes viciously at the moment he contacts the ball. I'd imagine it's a combination of focus and brass ones to to be a successful receiver.

But what do I know, having never played.

Guest rykerx144

Most of the time it's just toughness if you don't care if you take a shot or not 90% of the time you make the catch :o :o PS the other 10% is just good defense or too much speed 8) 8)

unless your West Orange and then its the penalties

Short routes (curls, outs, & hitches) are mostly technique and repetition.  1.Run the correct route 2. catch the ball w/ your hands not your body.  3. Tuck the ball 4. Then get up  the field.

Long routes (Fly, post, and flags)  This one is pure concentration.  As a receiver you have to be able to separate from the defender, execute the route, adjust to the ball, look over your shoulder, decide if you need to jump or dive, speed up or slow down, tune out the GASP in the crowd and excitement and andrenaline running through your veins.  All of this while sprinting and having DB's trying to knock your head off and being willing to completely sacrifice your body.   I guess its not that hard at all. ??? ;D

I know that first of all you have to have soft hands, good eyes, stay focused on the ball and the rest is easy. Almost, if they cal a button hook or slant over the middle 5 or 6 times a game where you are getting blindsided  half the time. Then it turns into gut check time, just as well to catch it cause i am gonna get tattoed anyway. If it hits you in both hands you should catch it unless you have hands of stone, hearing footsteps or bad eyesight. My youngest son dropped a few and we carried him to the optomologist

(eye doctor) and found out his vision was like 20-120. I don't know how he could recognize anyone but he did. Just my views on

catching and dropping passes.

It's easier to say it than do, but I think really you have to learn to absolutely close out everything(including the last one that you dropped) and simply watch the ball all the way into your hands. Everything else happens after that.

and the quick slant into the linebackers territory and getting SMASHED the play before...

thats when receivers start looking around while the ball is in the air

I think the best receivers don't even think about the guy coming at him unless it's a case of trying to beat him out for the ball.  They seem to tune out the hits and think of nothing but the pigskin.

I agree with you raideroldtimer.  Catching a ball is not something that you think about while running the route.  You run and everything seems to stop.  Your mind is doing everything for your body.  You don't think about all of the route running drills or catching drills that your coach has put your through.  If the ball comes your way you just catch it.  Once the ball is caught you look for open space, blockers and the endzone.

I think the best receivers don't even think about the guy coming at him unless it's a case of trying to beat him out for the ball.  They seem to tune out the hits and think of nothing but the pigskin.

I agree with you raideroldtimer.  Catching a ball is not something that you think about while running the route.  You run and everything seems to stop.  Your mind is doing everything for your body.  You don't think about all of the route running drills or catching drills that your coach has put your through.  If the ball comes your way you just catch it.  Once the ball is caught you look for open space, blockers and the endzone.

Catching the football isn't the hard part... Anyone can run a route and catch it... But it's after you getting flattened out on your back while looking a the ball and getting smashed when you don't see it coming... After that happens a couple times a receiver WILL start looking for the defender that's got his number on lock.

My son is struggling with this right now.  Some he gets some he dosent.  What can I tell him?  I was a big ole limeman.  What do I know!!!

I believe you tell your son that it happens even to the best. Watching alot of fb on the weekend you will notice that it happens to millionaires also.

Keep your confidence and you will catch most of the balls if you have the talent and skill to do so.

What drives me nuts as a coach is to hear another coach scream catch the ball.  The kid didnt try to miss the ball.  Tell him What he did wrong to drop the ball.  Same with make the tackle.  But I think alot of catching a ball is everything that has been mentioned as well as hand strength.  You cant be weak and catch well.

My son is struggling with this right now.  Some he gets some he dosent.  What can I tell him?  I was a big ole limeman.  What do I know!!!

Work on building the strength in his hands. My dad used to make me catch waffle balls.  He used to make me stand 10 yards from him and he'd throw it as hard as he could and I could not use any part of my body to catch the ball, had to be all hands.

My fingers used to be so sore after that from being jammed but it taught me how to finess the ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder