Opinion: Who is the best athlete ever from the lakes?

Guest Burkeville Chronicle

Of all the lake schools (Jasper, Hemphill, Burkeville, West Sabine, ect...) what athlete do you think has been the best?

You cannot argue with Hadnot of Jasper...played for the Kansas City Chiefs in the 1980's.

Guest rykerx144

i cant argue he was good but I can argue that he might not be the best!!  With players like Ernie Holmes Derrick Armstrong, Zach Bronson! 

well said ryker....I actually met Ernie Holmes once..that is a great story in itself....lots of great athletes from the lakes. Ryker, you are a good guy......good luck to your chosen school.

Guest rykerx144

Thank you!  I graduated from East Chambers, I worked in Jasper for years and worked the Jasper football games and I live in Kirbyville and my kids go to school in Kirbyville and have worked with and followed that program for the last several years so Im not really sure what my school of choice would be.  I guess you could say that my school of choice is High School Football!!

When you think of the best athletes from the Lakes, the first thing that comes to mind is JASPER. But the question is best athlete, which implies all sports. We cant forget all of the stellar athletes and the multiple sports stars such as Ben Bronson who was All State Football and Baseball in 1991, went on to become an All-American at Baylor and played professionally for the Lions, Colts, and KC Royals in baseball; Bryan Bronson who was Gatorade High School National Athlete of the Year in 1991 (Member of the Jasper 4x100 Relay team which set the National Record in 1991 at 39.9sec) and an Olympian in 1996 in Atlanta; or Tony Allen and Reggie Davis of the late 80s who were top recruits in the nation in 1985 and produced multiple State Championships in Track for Jasper which I feel doesn't get recognized enough. Not to mention Joseph "Red" Bryant, DT who was a top recruit in 2002, 3A State Champion in the Shot Put in 2003, went on for a successful career at Texas A&M, and a 2008 4th round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks.

Guest bleed orange

I know this guy played basketball but I think his name was Terry Teague or was it teagle.He played basketball for broadus and then went to Baylor and the NBA. He played in the late 70's early eighties I believe.

When you think of the best athletes from the Lakes, the first thing that comes to mind is JASPER. But the question is best athlete, which implies all sports. We cant forget all of the stellar athletes and the multiple sports stars such as Ben Bronson who was All State Football and Baseball in 1991, went on to become an All-American at Baylor and played professionally for the Lions, Colts, and KC Royals in baseball; Bryan Bronson who was Gatorade High School National Athlete of the Year in 1991 (Member of the Jasper 4x100 Relay team which set the National Record in 1991 at 39.9sec) and an Olympian in 1996 in Atlanta; or Tony Allen and Reggie Davis of the late 80s who were top recruits in the nation in 1985 and produced multiple State Championships in Track for Jasper which I feel doesn't get recognized enough. Not to mention Joseph "Red" Bryant, DT who was a top recruit in 2002, 3A State Champion in the Shot Put in 2003, went on for a successful career at Texas A&M, and a 2008 4th round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks.

Pretty impressive list!

Ben Bronson was amazing when he was in Jasper and was probably the best athlete to come out of there in the early 90's, but Zack had more success than any Jasper athlete ever has in professional sports. John and Terence Davis both played in the NFL also and were from Ben's '91 class.

Watch out for Sean Weatherspoon. He's one of the best LB's in the country at Missouri and should go in the middle of the first round in the draft next year. It would be cool to see him with Red Bryant here in Seattle, but the Seahawks are stacked at linebacker.

Of all the lake schools (Jasper, Hemphill, Burkeville, West Sabine, ect...) what athlete do you think has been the best?

You cannot argue with Hadnot of Jasper...played for the Kansas City Chiefs in the 1980's.

I remember James he was tuff. I still have a headache from that hit. LOL

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami