Crosby QB.......

Houston Camp Recap: The Quarterbacks 

Dominic Merka  By Alan Zepeda

Southwest Region Manager

Posted Jul 28, 2009 

The final camp of the Texas camp season was at the University of Houston and Scout.com was there. Here is the first of our reports on how the players looked at the camp.

Top Performers: Quarterbacks

Great group of quarterbacks where at the UH camp. This group includes Dexter Foreman (Manvel), Shane Carden (Bellaire Episcopal), Dominic Merka (Crosby) were the big names there. Carden is the lone senior of the group while Merka and Foreman are both top 100 players in the 2011 class. Other quality quarterbacks were there such as junior Jordan Are'(Alief Taylor), senior Winston Pedro (Washington), there was Conner Smith from Travis that looked the part and had a good arm.

Carden excelled at the fade route and most of the routes. He is more of a drop back passer but could run the spread also. Very nice touch, he has a solid arm and really is as consistant a performer as you get. Standing around 6-3 and weighing about 190 he has the size that you want at the D1 level also. He has a lot of intangibles also, lots of smarts, good leadership abilities and a nice guy. He put on a nice performance on the day as expected.

I missed watching Foreman but he is a real good dual threat quarterback who will hurt you with his arm and if you drop too many back he can do damage running the ball. He is thick for a quarterback but looks the part.

Dominic Merka is someone who was born to be a quarterback, he is tall, has a long arm and can throw most of the passes already. He had a few miss fires but not many. He comes from Kevin Flanigan's passing offense out of Crosby so a team like UH would be a good fit, as would any team that passes a lot. Any knock on him at this time is he has not filled out yet but that is not a big concern. Merka can throw all day long and his fade passes are near perfect. Carden and Merka both put on a show on the fades as did Conner Smith from Travis.

All three of these guys are D1 guys it just depends on if they fit the specific needs of the offense or not. Carden should have more offers than he has but he plays in the SPC League and a lot of players from there go unnoticed especially outside of Texas. The usual log jam that happens in Texas at quarterback is happening and as soon as one or two players commit you will see the domino effect though not as much as last year.

Houston has Terrance Broadway at quarterback already so most of the available quarterbacks skipped the camp. For the coaches the quarterback spot was mainly a chance to look at some 2011 players. Tomorrow running backs and receivers.

lol, Good one Bhfan, I saw Merka earler this year at 7 on 7.... Probably an off day, but he was missing his recievers bigtime...He defintely has the size and arm strength though.

This year will be his test season, he should do well but we will have to see.

etbu, there you go again, seems like "ole 99" has struck a nerve in you, settle down and take dose of chill pill.. I forgot nobody can have an opinion but you......Maybe you need to tend to Longview and Marshall, where real football is played....Your making may day....Boy this is fun..

;D Come on 99 this is about a kid from Crosby who I have seen play over the last two years not YOU. Kid will be good and plays for a good GOD fearing man in Coach F. Come on 99 don't take off on another kid PLEASE. Good luck Merka will be keeping tabs on you. Thanks for the kind words about 13 4a bc boys can run and catch the ball up in the Piney Woods.  ;D Just bought my Mav season tickets today and would luv to take Merka back with me for some Hogskin. Would make the Mavs a much better team.  8) Now where were we? Oh yea Astros 4 and Cubs 0 in the bottom of two.  ;D

Does he have any decent wr this year? I seen him last year, and Merka is going to be a good one.

He had one, but the kid appearantly transfered to Dayton this year (hence the shot about Merka transfering from above post).

???

Seems to me a better runner...And not filled out yet? DCTF has him at 6'5" 215 and runs a 4.5..Seems a spread option offense is a better fit than a drop back..Bet Flanigan will ride that horse till it drops since Frank moved to Dayton.......

Seems to me a better runner...And not filled out yet? DCTF has him at 6'5" 215 and runs a 4.5..Seems a spread option offense is a better fit than a drop back..Bet Flanigan will ride that horse till it drops since Frank moved to Dayton.......

If he is 6'5", 215 lbs and runs a 4.5 why would you need anybody else. The 4.5 is a stretch.

He aint 6"5. && he will play fine in Dayton.

I was talking about the QB, he doesn't run a 4.5, you chased him down last year. Whats your 40 time?

My point was he will be a good QB people don't need to stretch his stats.

I know who you are,but do u know who I am? && im only a 4.8 now.

I do know from a very good source he is 6'4 not 6'5...His 40 times at college camps have all been below 4.55..Thats why several college coaches have worked him out at receiver due to his 40 times..Colleges that run the spread zone read want him as a QB,others want him as a receiver...He would outrun Xavier Frank in the 40 but not the 100 or 200...I do know he ran a 4.51 for a school north of the border....

He aint 6"5. && he will play fine in Dayton.

I was talking about the QB, he doesn't run a 4.5, you chased him down last year. Whats your 40 time?

My point was he will be a good QB people don't need to stretch his stats.

I know who you are,but do u know who I am? && im only a 4.8 now.

I know who you are.

Anyway back to the point, 6'4" or 6'5" 215lbs and 4.5 is phenominal. I didn't see that last year. Not to say he isn't a year older and biger stronger, faster. He will have his chance to prove his skills this year.

By the way I am not crackin on the kid he is a good athlete, I am just a realist. i think its great for our area to be prducing so many good athletes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83