The Team to Beat in the 2009-2010 season

I hear a lot of talk about all the other teams, but the Hill is always the team to beat. The Hill has a excellent farm program, good parents and several kids yet to be seen played  for some of the best select teams in Houston this summer. This blog might start off talking about Kp and Crosby but at the end of the season we will see who tops the Blogs.

It is only natural to pull for your team. But I do appreciate good talent regardless of the color of their uniform. Also, I didn't say anything bad about GCM, I just said I don't think they can compete with Crosby and KP. That does not take anything away from their program. They are a young team with excellent coaching. I just think they are a couple of years away. But, anything can happen on any given day. BH is the same way, they have a very young team. Two of the dads that I know on that team told me at the Crosby game that they have very little coming back and it hurts that the coach over there only plays senoirs. I am not saying BH won't compete, I am saying it will be tough for them against teams like KP and Crosby that didn't lose much.

BH will be competitive but very young. BTW, not sure why people think Gil only plays seniors. Simply not true. Last year the seniors happened to be the best players. 2007 BH had 4 pitchers that were juniors, one of them was at 1st while not on the mound, junior @ ss, junior at 1b/of, and a junior at 3b.

If two players are equal, you will see the senior playing more.

Just my two cents. TEL, my "clarification" is not directed at you....I assume you are just going by what you've heard or been told. This "myth" originated in Barbers Hill.

I'm not one to post much on this site, I mostly just read the posts but I've got to question your post. You seem to be pretty informed about what's going on with BH baseball. I personally don't have a kid playing high school baseball but I have been a fan at BH over the past 4 or 5 years. I agree that the coach doesn't only play seniors but their have definitely been some kids since I've been watching that obviously didn't belong on varsity as freshmen, sophomores, and juniors and some that shouldn't have been playing as seniors. I'm not involved enough to understand what motivates the coach to play some of the kids he plays and overlook others. Maybe you could explain this for me. One of the most obvious blunders I've seen occured just last year. The left fielder this year #22, was on JV last year as a junior and starts the season off this year as your #3 hitter with 7 of the starters being returning varsity players and 5 of them returning starters from the 08 team (I believe all of which garnered post season awards). If he wasn't good enough to be on Varsity as a junior then how can he start the season off as your #3 hitter when you have 5 returning starters. The kid ended up being selected as 1st Team All-District, 1st Team 4A All-Houston Team, and 4A All-State Honorable Mention outfielder by the Texas Sports Writers Association. I'm sure he didn't become a good player overnight. How could he have been on the JV last year unless something other than ability is motivating the coach? I find it hard to believe that you can overlook a kid with that kind of ability by accident. From what I saw last year, the kids in left field were no where close to the caliber of player that you had out there this year.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BCNatureBoy

In 1a the team to beat will be evadale the home of the rebels they are bringin back alot of starters just losing two last year and they have to new coaches this year

Who are their coaches?

I hear a lot of talk about all the other teams, but the Hill is always the team to beat. The Hill has a excellent farm program, good parents and several kids yet to be seen played  for some of the best select teams in Houston this summer. This blog might start off talking about Kp and Crosby but at the end of the season we will see who tops the Blogs.

It is only natural to pull for your team. But I do appreciate good talent regardless of the color of their uniform. Also, I didn't say anything bad about GCM, I just said I don't think they can compete with Crosby and KP. That does not take anything away from their program. They are a young team with excellent coaching. I just think they are a couple of years away. But, anything can happen on any given day. BH is the same way, they have a very young team. Two of the dads that I know on that team told me at the Crosby game that they have very little coming back and it hurts that the coach over there only plays senoirs. I am not saying BH won't compete, I am saying it will be tough for them against teams like KP and Crosby that didn't lose much.

BH will be competitive but very young. BTW, not sure why people think Gil only plays seniors. Simply not true. Last year the seniors happened to be the best players. 2007 BH had 4 pitchers that were juniors, one of them was at 1st while not on the mound, junior @ ss, junior at 1b/of, and a junior at 3b.

If two players are equal, you will see the senior playing more.

Just my two cents. TEL, my "clarification" is not directed at you....I assume you are just going by what you've heard or been told. This "myth" originated in Barbers Hill.

I'm not one to post much on this site, I mostly just read the posts but I've got to question your post. You seem to be pretty informed about what's going on with BH baseball. I personally don't have a kid playing high school baseball but I have been a fan at BH over the past 4 or 5 years. I agree that the coach doesn't only play seniors but their have definitely been some kids since I've been watching that obviously didn't belong on varsity as freshmen, sophomores, and juniors and some that shouldn't have been playing as seniors. I'm not involved enough to understand what motivates the coach to play some of the kids he plays and overlook others. Maybe you could explain this for me. One of the most obvious blunders I've seen occured just last year. The left fielder this year #22, was on JV last year as a junior and starts the season off this year as your #3 hitter with 7 of the starters being returning varsity players and 5 of them returning starters from the 08 team (I believe all of which garnered post season awards). If he wasn't good enough to be on Varsity as a junior then how can he start the season off as your #3 hitter when you have 5 returning starters. The kid ended up being selected as 1st Team All-District, 1st Team 4A All-Houston Team, and 4A All-State Honorable Mention outfielder by the Texas Sports Writers Association. I'm sure he didn't become a good player overnight. How could he have been on the JV last year unless something other than ability is motivating the coach? I find it hard to believe that you can overlook a kid with that kind of ability by accident. From what I saw last year, the kids in left field were no where close to the caliber of player that you had out there this year.

Blueblood,

check your personal messages.

I think it is funny how everyone blames the coaches... Coaches have more training, experience, and motivation than parents do in sports.....they went to school for it, attend seminars put on by professionals, and work long hours.... would you let a unskilled person come and run your department or run one of the plants???????? NO you wouldn't....I am not saying there are not bad coaches out there, just be understanding, there is probally a reason why he got the job in the first place..Varsity coaches are not there to receive a pay check, which is about $3000 for the headache parents put them threw....they are there for the kids.....................

as for the JV player that started the next year... maybe he did decide to pay attention to the coach and worked on his game and excelled in 1 year... it has happened before.... I know one kid who did not start his JR. year and was drafted his SR. year....and is now playing triple A at round rock... it had nothing to do with the coaches, he was just not ready. the coach is going to play who he feels gives him the best chance to win based on the starting pitcher for both teams, practice and attitude throughout the week....

Remember parents this is not little league, just because the kid might dominate at little league, does not mean he will at the varsity level...almost all kids grow in high school (really till they are 19) and develope to be better players...

my suggestion is to support your school, players and coaches......negativity only hurts the program.....If you can't live with the coaches decision......move you kid... 

I think a lot of parents are use to playing daddy and daddies friends ball. So when they get into high school they wonder why their kid is not the starting player anymore. I believe the coach at BH does a great job not perfect but one hell of a job so quit whining and truthfully if I hear one more time about poor #22 who by the way had some kind of year, better than most kids dream of,get over it and move on.

I agree w/ most of Hitman and the Patriot's post...........Except regarding #22, coach just missed this one. Along w/ another another kid I know pretty well. It happens...no one is perfect.

Hitman.....regarding "poor # 22" you are way off the mark.

Hitman, you aren't from Barbers Hill are you ? 

Guest Ranger83

Coaches are human. They make errors in judgement and they play different styles of baseball. I will guarantee you that no high school coach wants to lose! He is going to put the best 9 players (in HIS opinion) on the field. Period. Anthing else would be detrimental to the promotion of his program and don't for one instant think that a high school baseball coach does not want to promote himself and his program.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to tell your kids to keep working hard and to also play ball in the Summer. That's where they get noticed! If you were a scout and had to choose between going to one tournament in East Cobb, Georgia and seeing 20-30 prospects or going to Po-Dunk, Texas and watching 1 or 2, which would you choose? I know where I would go.

Hey all you District 19 guys, let me say I enjoy all the 'booyah' and the passion about your baseball.  Also, as much as i hate to say it, it will be a miracle if any of your teams get past Nederland next season, with Laird and Bellows on the bump....pn-g will be strong again, too.  Benoit and Sparrow will also be a good one -two punch.  Believe you me, being from LC-M it pains me to say that....

I will, however, be looking forward to having this sent back at least 30 times if a miracle does in fact occur.

Refresh my memory....did any of your teams advance past the first round.  Oh, that's right....just one.  The hill beat Vidor (in three....our 4th place team).

Calm down now....all in fun guys.  Good luck over there and regardless of what some say, the Thompson 'twins' will be missed at Crosby.  (and I know they aren't twins)

Where were you at in '07 and '08 when BH was the team to beat. Just curious  ???

Gslam yes it took 3 games to beat Vidor. But dont know why we pitched our 5 pitcher in game 2. Maybe the coach knew what he was doing maybe not anyway we got it done. Brenahm beat us in the bottom of the 7th 2 outs they have a runner on second we turn a simple play from 3rd into a bad throw the ball goes in the dugout game over 3 - 2 what a way to end your season. 1 game playoffs Png beat us and we split with LCM and Brenham beat Ned. So there was only 1 region 3 champ and he was not from 19 or 20. So reload

I agree w/ most of Hitman and the Patriot's post...........Except regarding #22, coach just missed this one. Along w/ another another kid I know pretty well. It happens...no one is perfect.

maybe off the mark, and no i am not from there.... but i have seen barbers hill base ball for a long time and I cant see a coach at that level with that much success play the politic game...or overlook a kid.  if a coach does he usually does not have a winning record.  I personally don't know the kid, saw him last year but do not watch much JV games so i cant make that judgement. 

I do know some coachs that will not support a kid based on attitude on and off the field... Bridge city 2 years ago wins district and does not get any MVPs in all district....the coach has to nominate you for that...

maybe off the mark, and no i am not from there.... but i have seen barbers hill base ball for a long time and I cant see a coach at that level with that much success play the politic game...or overlook a kid.  if a coach does he usually does not have a winning record.  I personally don't know the kid, saw him last year but do not watch much JV games so i cant make that judgement. 

I do know some coachs that will not support a kid based on attitude on and off the field... Bridge city 2 years ago wins district and does not get any MVPs in all district....the coach has to nominate you for that...

If you have been watching you would no sometimes good athletes can rise above politic coaching. I have been watching since 2000 and have seen it several times since then you either have the right last name or parentis on the school board, or parent is a Principal. Eagle did I hit it on the head?

Guest Next Level

td is right...good players will overcome politics.  Mine did!

Still, the key to making the line up is your bat.  If you can hit, you WILL play.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder