Sooners Lands Two of Texas's Fastest--WO-S Franks & Haynes

Talk about it in The Crimson Corner

It had been rumored for a few days but on Wednesday afternoon a pair of teammates decided to continue their playing careers together for a few more years, and they chose to do so in Norman, Okla.

Those teammates were Orange (Texas) West Orange-Stark stars [db]Trey Franks[/db] and defensive back [db]James Haynes[/db].

The two prospects are among the fastest in all of the Lone Star state and apparently Franks wanted his commitment to happen as quickly as one of his touchdowns on Friday night.

"I had been thinking about us going to Oklahoma together since when they offered me," Franks said. "James had his offer pretty early on but as soon as they offered me I kind of liked the idea of us playing together up there."

Franks, who is the third of his group of brothers to play college football in the Big 12 south, says that familial ties to the state were a big part of his reasoning for liking Oklahoma.

Interestingly enough those ties run through Stillwater and in particularly Oklahoma State's football program.

"Actually my grandfather played at Oklahoma State and he now lives in Tulsa, I've also got an aunt that lives in Oklahoma City," he said. "So it will be real good to have some family close to me when I'm up there."

The receiver who took home the Texas 3A state 100-meter championship with a blistering 10.36-second time has the time of game-changing ability that perhaps Oklahoma has lacked at receiver and in the return game the past few years.

It's a reality that [db]Jay Norvell[/db] was aware of when Franks gave him the call to let him know of his decision.

"He was really excited, he was talking about the ways they can use me and put my speed to use for them," he said.

So what was it about Wednesday July 22, that caused the two teammates to think it was time to finally bring recruiting to an end?

"I've actually wanted to do it for about three weeks now but James wanted to get everything lined out before he committed, so I waited until today," the three-star receiver Franks explained.

Though Franks' excitement about his decision is obvious he took a moment to clairfy his thoughts about schools continuing to recruit him.

"Oh yeah, I'm done, I'm glad to have this behind me," he said. "I can just focus on my senior year and I know that I've got a teammate coming with me."

haynes will be the classic second-guess if he plays as well at ou as most expect... texas just wouldn't offer... and the same scenario at ou db with joseph ibiloye of south garland ('09) and kacy rodgers of '10 from southlake who just committed to miami...texas didn't offer any of those guys...

but the flip side... you gotta love texas db commits for this year with lufkin's byndom, desoto's white and sulphur springs bryant jackson...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012