WO-S' Haynes And Franks Verbially Committ To.....

OU.....Details later.

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Two of the state's most sought after recruits have made their decision.

West Orange-Stark's Trey Franks and James Haynes verbally committed to Oklahoma University on Wednesday.

The duo will be seniors for the Mustangs this season and both were part of the state championship track team at WO-S as juniors.

OU.....Details later.

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

West Orange-Stark's Trey Franks and James Haynes verbally committed to Oklahoma University on Wednesday.

The duo will be seniors for the Mustangs this season and both were part of the state championship track team at WO-S as juniors.

Allright who scooped who, was it Gabe or Coop?

Guest tigersvoice

OU.....Details later.

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

oh my, what a waste of super talent.

Franks, Haynes commit to OU

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — West Orange-Stark Coach Dan Hooks once joked with James Haynes and asked him if he was going to go straight to the NFL.

It might have started to seem that way with all the buzz Haynes and WO-S teammate Trey Franks have been getting these days.

Haynes has one stop to make before the NFL comes calling and that is in Norman, Okla. Haynes will not be alone either.

Haynes and Franks both verbally committed Wednesday to play football at Oklahoma University.

This ends a very hectic recruiting process for two of the most sought after players in the state.

“Now I don’t have to worry about that during my senior season,†Franks said.

Haynes said the commitment was a long time coming after trips across the country and having Franks around will only making things easier.

“If I am lost, it is great knowing someone will be lost with me,†Haynes said. “We will both be in a new environment and new state.â€

The Sooners, who played for the BCS Championship last year, are certainly getting two exciting players in Franks and Haynes.

The duo helped guide the Mustangs to the state championship last year in track.

Franks won the 100-meter dash and was a part of two gold winning relay teams. Haynes took home two gold medals, one in the 400-meter relay and the 800-meter relay.

Haynes ran 20 times as a junior in football for 197 yards and three scores and also hauled in 15 catches for 191 yards and three more scores.

Franks had a team-high 34 receptions for 605 yards and five touchdowns.

Both Franks and Haynes were also standouts on defensive as defensive backs.

“These guys had so many people talking to them, it comes to point when it is time to make a decision,†Hooks said. “OU is getting two very fine athletes. They will be great.â€

Hooks’ Mustangs program will now have four players in the Big 12 in 2010 if all goes right. Earl Thomas will be a junior at the University of Texas while Jacoby Franks, Trey’s brother, will be at Texas Tech University.

Deon Beasely, also from WO-S, will be a senior this year at UT. Tommy Chavis also graduated from WO-S and played his senior season this past year at Missouri.

“That is phenomenal for a school our size,†Hooks said. “It is a credit to our program and to our players. I am not sure anyone can really match that.â€

Franks could have the opportunity to play across the field from his brother who is a receiver with the Red Raiders.

“That would be a little weird,†Franks said. “We are both very competitive so that game would be crazy for us. There would be some trash talking going on.â€

Haynes also relishes in the idea of playing against guys he has known his whole life.

“It is already a rivalry between all those schools,†Haynes said. “It will be unreal to look across the field and see someone you know.â€

Haynes also hopes people understand his decision to leave the state of Texas and play for such a bitter rival like Oklahoma.

“I hope everyone honors the decision I made for myself,†Haynes said. “It was my decision to make and I did what I thought was best for myself.â€

Franks, who said he has known he would choose OU for at least a month, added he is now ready to prepare for the Mustangs’ season.

“Now it is time to get in full gear for the Mustangs,†Franks said. “I have been going up there and working out every day. You have to get ready for Coach T’s (Cornell Thompson) two-a-days. This is a big weight lifted off my shoulders and now I don’t have to deal with any of that.â€

The problem is now Big 12 opponents will have to deal with one dynamic duo.

Guest #1raider

I'm really excited to have two guys from a prominent school like west orange-stark going to a strong D1 school and representing what goes on in south east Texas. Good luck to the both of them from a friend from L-town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83