Downtown library could become part of Lamar

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Not sports related but interesting...

Lamar University could begin offering classes in the lower level of the downtown library as early as September, said Kevin Smith, Lamar senior associate provost for academic affairs.

Smith said the university is considering moving the continuing education department, small business development center and possibly a third department to the lower level of the Beaumont Public Library.

"We're still shooting for the fall to offer classes downtown," Smith said Friday. "We think there is a demand down there for credit and non-credit classes."

He said the lower level is ideal for the university because it is divided into smaller rooms or offices. The university would have to make some minor renovations to control access and install needed technology, Smith said.

While the details for occupying the lower level are being fleshed out, grander plans were recently revealed at the biennial city council workshop. Those plans include the university occupying the entire structure and the city building a new $2 million modern library at the proposed downtown event center and lake.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/downtown_library_could_become_part_of_lamar.html

I wonder if Walter Umphrey has dreams of a Law School for Lamar?

A law school wouldn't be a bad idea.

|

I wonder what the process would be to start a law school?

Offering a Bachelor's and Master's of Public Administration downtown would also be another good choice.

I believe that a lawschool would have to be brought before and passed by the

tx legislature ... don't see much possibilty of that happening now ... funding just not there-the MPA seems a more likely choice at this time

Guest coachacola

I think a law school would only happen if the Texas State University System pushed for a law school and someone like Mr. Umphrey stepped up with a lot of money to start one.  Then there would be a lot of politicking in the legislature because I don't think the public is clamoring for more lawyers.

In a previous newspaper article they had talked about moving KVLU downtown too.

I think a law school would only happen if the Texas State University System pushed for a law school and someone like Mr. Umphrey stepped up with a lot of money to start one.  Then there would be a lot of politicking in the legislature because I don't think the public is clamoring for more lawyers.

In a previous newspaper article they had talked about moving KVLU downtown too.

I know Walter Umphrey is a BIG donor and supporter to Baylor College of Law [his alma mater], and in fact I think he and his wife donated $$$ to build one of the new major buildings there.  Still think there would be a lot more logical options for LU.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami