Astros Future...What do you want to see done? Signed Feliz, Lindstrom, and Lyon!

• 1 month later...

Let the kids play and mature.  Get more good looking kids and play them.  Let them play their way into a major league position like other teams have done.  Stop trading away our future.  Bring back Hunsucker and Garner.

Good post Pirates. I especially like the part of bringing back Hunsicker and Garner. It won't happen though. McLane and Wade aren't baseball men like Hunsicker and Garner. I expect them to make piddling deals that wont bear fruit. I hate to be so pessimistic about the 'stros, but as I've said before, I've been a fan a long time. I've been disappointed WAY too many times. For the 'stros to become contenders, McLane would have to hire a GM that knows the game and then keep his hands out of it. I'm afraid that neither will happen. So we get more of the same...

• 1 month later...
[quote name="shovelhead" post="674655" timestamp="1255526481"]
[quote author=Pirates73 link=topic=56476.msg674577#msg674577 date=1255500123]
Let the kids play and mature.  Get more good looking kids and play them.  Let them play their way into a major league position like other teams have done.  Stop trading away our future.  Bring back Hunsucker and Garner.
[/quote]
Good post Pirates. I especially like the part of bringing back Hunsicker and Garner. It won't happen though. McLane and Wade aren't baseball men like Hunsicker and Garner. I expect them to make piddling deals that wont bear fruit. I hate to be so pessimistic about the 'stros, but as I've said before, I've been a fan a long time. I've been disappointed WAY too many times. For the 'stros to become contenders, McLane would have to hire a GM that knows the game and then [b]keep his hands out of it[/b]. I'm afraid that neither will happen. So we get more of the same...
[/quote]
That is this team's biggest problem.  McLane is too much like Jerry Jones.  GIve Ed Wade the reigns and see what he can do through the draft.  All those guys that play for the Phillies and played in the last two World Series were drafted under Ed Wade.  Give the man a chance.

As critical as I have been about the Astros, I have to say that Ed Wade has done good with this deal. McLane will not spend the big bucks to get another solid starter. With the limited budget, I think Wade spent the money wisely. This is not enough players  to win the division, but might be enough to keep them off the bottom. There I go getting my hopes up again!

I have to beg to differ here shovelhead. There is a reason I started this thread, and it is because of the brightness of the Astros' future. Granted, no one knows everyone's name on this board, but if you happened to know mine and ask around.. I know my sports, especially the Astros. Here's their projected lineup and rotation at this point..
LF Carlos Lee - 25 HRs and 100 RBIs will do, even though it's not worth $19,000. It's ENOUGH
CF Michael Bourn - Not many were better than this got last year
RF Hunter Pence - Has been nothing short of a defensive gem and solid at the plate since he's been in the bigs.
3B Pedro Feliz - Started on both of the Phillies WS teams, and was solid with the Giants. He will help us greatly.
SS Tommy Manzella - A defensive stud who brings YOUTH to this team. He will grow at the plate much like Elvis Andrus last year.
2B Kazou Matsui/Jeff Keppinger/Geoff Blumm - These 3 together or a healthy Matsui will DO until we find a solid replacement.
1B Lance Berkman - Nough said
C JR Towles/JASON CASTRO - Towles will do okay until Castro is ready for the big leagues full time. MORE YOUTH.
Rotation - Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez, Bud Norris, Felipe Paulino, Yorman Bazardo/???
Roy O has been one of the most consistent starters in the League the last 7 years, Wandy was great last year, Norris has a solid future, Paulino has some of the best stuff in the game when he's on. Bazardo is not known well, but people will know him this year.
Bullpen - Newly renovated bullpen should be better as well.
This isn't a lineup to keep us out of the bottom, don't kid yourselves. This lineup SHOULD win. We'll see if it does..

The Astros were hard for me to figure last year. Looking at the individual players or positions I really didn't see a weakness but as a team they just couldn't put it together. I don't know if it was a coaching problem or not. The biggest weakness was pitching but I don't think pitching cost them that many games. Many were lost at the plate.

So as I said it was hard for me to figure.

[quote name="mat" post="728570" timestamp="1260629947"]
The Astros were hard for me to figure last year. Looking at the individual players or positions I really didn't see a weakness but as a team they just couldn't put it together. I don't know if it was a coaching problem or not. The biggest weakness was pitching but [b]I don't think pitching cost them that many games. Many were lost at the plate[/b].

So as I said it was hard for me to figure.
[/quote]

good to know I'm not alone here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124