MJ

MJ would still Be a great player,but I don't think he would dominate the game as he did then. He got a lot of calls  his way because he was MJ  and they gave him more leeway. And he had no real equal at that time. Now they give those same  calls to a lot more players than they did then. He was the main superstar that was playing at that time. I would love to have been able to watch him play todays superstars.  How would you like to watch  MJ  BIRD  Magic  Labron  Koby  D Wade  KJ  Shaq  Willt All play at there prime . Woa what a game.

Guest DickVitale

WHAT!! This is basketball BLASPHEMY!! and the thread should be deleted!! MJ would have KILLED this era of soft players!! KILLED THEM....What a dumb question....Or maybe I should say what an un-informed question, because this person OBVIOUSLY knows no basketball or has never seen MJ play...wow.. :o :o :o

WHAT!! This is basketball BLASPHEMY!! and the thread should be deleted!! MJ would have KILLED this era of soft players!! KILLED THEM....What a dumb question....Or maybe I should say what an un-informed question, because this person OBVIOUSLY knows no basketball or has never seen MJ play...wow.. :o :o :o

Dont get your panties in a wad Dickie.... ;D...I believe mj is the greatest player to play the game. Just throwing a question out there for discussion.... So you dont think the game is evolving?

Guest DickVitale

I don't think that the game is evolving as much as it has just changed over the years...Think about it...Todays flagrant foul that may get you ejected, used to be a good hard Detroit Piston foul! Do you realize how many times Jordan was slammed to the floor against those "bad boy" Piston teams? It would have been no game today, because they all would have been ejected and suspended!  :D  Guys can't shoot anymore either...There are some streaky shooters in the league, but as a whole, Ray Allen's are dinosaurs in the NBA...The evolving in the NBA comes from the Post in my opinion....There are very few true back to the basket 5 men (posts) in the league anymore, and thats not necessarily a bad thing, but in some instances it can get you beat...I think some sort of post game is essential for winning basketball, so that teams are not relying on 7 footers to make jumpers when they need baskets, especially down the stretch...I guess I am just pro-old school!! ;D

I don't think that the game is evolving as much as it has just changed over the years...Think about it...Todays flagrant foul that may get you ejected, used to be a good hard Detroit Piston foul! Do you realize how many times Jordan was slammed to the floor against those "bad boy" Piston teams? It would have been no game today, because they all would have been ejected and suspended!  :D  Guys can't shoot anymore either...There are some streaky shooters in the league, but as a whole, Ray Allen's are dinosaurs in the NBA...The evolving in the NBA comes from the Post in my opinion....There are very few true back to the basket 5 men (posts) in the league anymore, and thats not necessarily a bad thing, but in some instances it can get you beat...I think some sort of post game is essential for winning basketball, so that teams are not relying on 7 footers to make jumpers when they need baskets, especially down the stretch...I guess I am just pro-old school!! ;D

Good point. Maybe change is a better word for it..........but as a whole (not all)I still think the players are more athletic today?

Todays players are crazy athletic, true...  But yester-years players were too... Jordan played in the 90's where players were just as athletic as they are now.  Its not like he played in the 60's or 70's.  Jordan played in a more physical league, though...  He would dominate in this era that the rules have been garnered towards perimeter players!  The other fact is that the rim dominating big men aren't out there...  When you got into the lane in the 80's or 90's those shots used to be thrown into the stands.  No big men are taking charges and playing the odds. In the 90's alone you had Mourning, Mutombo, Olajawon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Shawn Bradley, Robert Parrish, Dale Davis, Otis Thorp, Karl Malone, Camby, etc.  Even the big clumpsies like Murasan and Ostertag were actual shot blockers...  Now you can name three Chandler, Birdman, and Howard!!!!

Jordan would have a field day in today's league!!!!

Today's players are crazy athletic, true...  But yester-years players were too... Jordan played in the 90's where players were just as athletic as they are now.  Its not like he played in the 60's or 70's.  Jordan played in a more physical league, though...  He would dominate in this era that the rules have been garnered towards perimeter players!  The other fact is that the rim dominating big men aren't out there...  When you got into the lane in the 80's or 90's those shots used to be thrown into the stands.  No big men are taking charges and playing the odds. In the 90's alone you had Mourning, Mutombo, Olajawon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Shawn Bradley, Robert Parrish, Dale Davis, Otis Thorp, Karl Malone, Camby, etc.  Even the big clumpsies like Murasan and Ostertag were actual shot blockers...  Now you can name three Chandler, Birdman, and Howard!!!!

All the players that you have named as shot blockers were just that blockers. That is why the rules changed in Jordan favor. They then gave him the extra step they gave him the continuation shot That made the game more exacting . More off. less def. No one wonted to watch Detroit win a 50 to 70 game. He was faster and more athletic and that gave him the edge. Name one other forward at that time that could stay with him? Now you have one or more on ever team that play def. and  could stay with him step for step. Not saying that he would not be great, but not as dominating as he was. JMO

Guest DickVitale

::) Dude.....If your grandma had gonads she would be your grandpa too.....There is no way that you can say that Jordan would be any "less" dominant than he was in ANY generation...He was the best ever...ever...These guys could not hold MJ's jock strap, let alone guard him one on one!! Impossible task, because Micheal had the rare combination of SKILL, ATHLETICISM, and the ATTITUDE to rip your heart out, step on it and feed it to you!! He was THAT good.

I went back and read my post several times and no were did I use the word IF. Don't know how old you are but I watch him play live not on tape and Like I said they changed the rules to make the game more Off. orientated to benefited him. Go back and watch games before mike and see if anyone ever palmed the ball as much as he did.  They changed there traveling rules to make the game  higher scoring. I m not saying that is a bad thing. I am just saying they changed the rule that helped him score. I watch Wilt score 100 points and the next year the changed the rules to stop him, just him. Jordan was a great player and the best of his time, But today he would just be one of the best of many. But this is one of those thing that could go on for ever. Just as who is the greatest Rocky or Mike, we will never know

Guest DickVitale

Are you saying that Wilt Chamberlin was a better basketball player than Micheal Jordan? No way. Wilt was a great athlete and was a menacing figure in the NBA in the 60's and 70's, but we are talking about MICHEAL JORDAN. The three second lane was changed due to Wilt in those days, yet that still did not make him any less dominant for that time. MJ changed the game. Period. Heck he changed the WARDROBE!!! He was the biggest icon in sports history, and the best guy to lace em up in the NBA. No question. There is no player TODAY that would have transcended the game like he did. Kobe is close, and time will tell on him, but he has patterned everything in his game that MJ did...his walk, his talk, his moves, EVERYTHING. Lebron has some of that iconic value too, but it is no way close to what MJ did over the course of his career.  MJ was simply the best.

Todays players are crazy athletic, true...  But yester-years players were too... Jordan played in the 90's where players were just as athletic as they are now.  Its not like he played in the 60's or 70's.  Jordan played in a more physical league, though...  He would dominate in this era that the rules have been garnered towards perimeter players!  The other fact is that the rim dominating big men aren't out there...  When you got into the lane in the 80's or 90's those shots used to be thrown into the stands.  No big men are taking charges and playing the odds. In the 90's alone you had Mourning, Mutombo, Olajawon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Shawn Bradley, Robert Parrish, Dale Davis, Otis Thorp, Karl Malone, Camby, etc.  Even the big clumpsies like Murasan and Ostertag were actual shot blockers...  Now you can name three Chandler, Birdman, and Howard!!!!

Shawn Bradley?  :D I've never seen a list of great players include Shawn Bradley.

Shawn Bradley?  :D I've never seen a list of great players include Shawn Bradley.

Bradley?  lol  wow

Are you saying that Wilt Chamberlin was a better basketball player than Micheal Jordan? No way. Wilt was a great athlete and was a menacing figure in the NBA in the 60's and 70's, but we are talking about MICHEAL JORDAN. The three second lane was changed due to Wilt in those days, yet that still did not make him any less dominant for that time. MJ changed the game. Period. Heck he changed the WARDROBE!!! He was the biggest icon in sports history, and the best guy to lace em up in the NBA. No question. There is no player TODAY that would have transcended the game like he did. Kobe is close, and time will tell on him, but he has patterned everything in his game that MJ did...his walk, his talk, his moves, EVERYTHING. Lebron has some of that iconic value too, but it is no way close to what MJ did over the course of his career.  MJ was simply the best.

Yes I am saying that without the rule changes to stop Wilt He would have had mult. 100 points games. In the years he played he was the only true star. That rule was just to stop him and him alone. As for as changing the Wardrobe that was TV, money and NIKE.  Look at the rules that were changed to help Jordan score. The league was down in those years and they had to do something to make the game more exciting and scoring is that way in every game. No one likes to see a def. game. Points put asses in seats. Not saying that is bad but that is the truth. As far as the players of today, I think they could match up well with Jordan. I'm  not saying they could stop him but I think they could Match him point for point. He was faster and stronger than the forwards he played agains,But I think the players today could match him.

really?  i thought his role in "Space Jam" pretty much solidified him as one of the game's greats.

Shawn Bradly styed in the top five for many years in shots blocked.  In his best  year he was second to only Mutombo!!!

Anyway, No one else is Jordan and these young punks in todays game would not have a chance...  Dude, MJ played in '96 with the players that are considered great now...  He held his own, looked beter than everyone else, and won a championship.  You are acting like jordan played with those sluth footed guys of the 70's...  He played in this same athletic era!

Oh and Hakeem palmed the balll more than Jordan!!!!!!

Shawn Bradly styed in the top five for many years in shots blocked.  In his best  year he was second to only Mutombo!!!

Anyway, No one else is Jordan and these young punks in todays game would not have a chance...  Dude, MJ played in '96 with the players that are considered great now...  He held his own, looked beter than everyone else, and won a championship.  You are acting like jordan played with those sluth footed guys of the 70's...  He played in this same athletic era!

Oh and Hakeem palmed the balll more than Jordan!!!!!!

You must be young Because Jordan did not start his dominating until Bird And Magic had retired. Who was the other strong farwards when he played? And you are right Hakeem did palm the ball a lot but in the low post that is not as effective as out in open floor. Caring the ball in open floor can create alot of separation and that helped him get the open shot. Not saying Jordan was not great but IMO Kobe, KJ, Labron, D Wade are not far behind

Joe, MJ beat Magic's Lakers for their first title so Magic was not retired nor was Bird, although they were at the end of their careers...heck they played together on the 1992 Dream Team...listen to comments from Magic and Bird regarding Jordan and they will tell you how great he was...MJ was simply the best and absolutely a monster in big games and situations...if he were in today's game in his prime, no doubt, IMO, that he would still be the best player in the game...I simply don't think he would have settled for anything less...Kobe and Lebron are both great in their wn rights, but MJ they are not.

You must not have much basketball knowledge!  I am young but not that young (30)!  You don't know much about Bird and Magic either...  Bird retired early due to a back injury.  Magic was forced to retire early because of HIV... Magic and Jordan were four years apart in age and bird was seven years older than Mike.  In retrospect Bird and Jordan had the same age apart as Kobe and Lebron now.  Magic and Jordan were like Wade and Lebron.  That doesn't show that either of them were "over the heel" while Jordan was playing.  Anybody that knows basketball knows that Jordan’s major road block to a championship came from the Pistons during there late 80’s run, not the Lakers or the Celtics. 

Before you accuse me of being young, accuse yourself of having a lack of knowledge.

Don't remember saying about Bird or Magic's age. I said that Jordan did not dominate the game until they had retired ,for what ever reason. And the fact is they were gone before he became (so called great) And during that run there was no one that could play at his level. That is the reason he retired the first time, he had no one to push him. If he was to play today he would be as good, but there are more players that could play him and push him . Shaq had The Dream, Bird had Magic, Koby has Labron and D Wade, Who did Jordan have? And lets see (short) you must have been what 11 or 12 then. But you can go back and watch film, are maybe you can Google it ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami