Orangefield ISD receives 21 applications for AD position..Final 4 Announced!

OISD receives 21 applications for AD position

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The search for an athletic director at Orangefield High School has pulled in 21 names so far, several from local school districts.

OISD Superintendent Phillip Welch released the list of candidates Monday afternoon and reported in a press release a recommendation will be made at a June 22 meeting of the OISD School Board.

LC-M offensive coordinator Troy Bolton, PN-G defensive coordinator Carl Broussard, High Island AD Paul Colton, Vidor offensive coordinator Dwayne DuBois, Beaumont Kelly AD Mike Long, Port Arthur Memorial assistant coach Wayne McKeller, Beaumont West Brook assistant coach Jeff Peveto and Memorial defensive coordinator Curtis Viola highlight the local coaches in the running.

The need for an athletic director comes after Blake Morrison submitted his resignation on Thursday, May 28.

Welch reported interviews will be conducted the week of June 15.

Marlin OC Greg Bass, Spring ISD assistant coach Gary Brewton, Mexia OC Thomas Dracos, Nixon-Smiley head coach James Duprie, Westwood OC Danny Faust, Hutto DC Ryan George, Paul Pewitt AD Brian Huckabay, Burkeville OC Brandon Morgan, Bryan athletic consultant Bob McLeroy, Dallas’ Caleb Peveto, Greenville AD Jim Phillps, Haltom DC Josh Rankin and Mount Pleasant DC Michael Waldie round out the list of candidates.

Morrison served as the Orangefield athletic director the last five seasons and coached at the school for nine years.

The Bobcats went 12-34 under Morrison and went 1-7 in 2008. Morrison stepped up from defensive coordinator in the 2004 season after Kevin Flanigan left for Crosby High School. Flanigan’s last season, 2003, is the last year Orangefield has reached the playoffs.

print this story   comment on this story    

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is the best candidate?

I do not know a lot of the people on the list, but it seems to me Mike Long is a great candidate. He has comletely turned Kelly around. They used to be a dormat. And does Dustin come with him? I believe Orangefield needs to get someone with AD experience considering the timing and the fact that there seem to be a lot of pretty good applicants with AD experience.

My choice would be Long, Huckaby, or Phillips.  All 3 have head coaching/AD experience and all 3 have been successsful.  For those knocking Long as a head coach are fools.  PNG has been down offensively since he left and Kelly has beaten schools they have lost to in the past.  They beat Sulpher, LA. a few years back when they were ranked in the top 10 in the whole state of LA. 

There are some other good coaches on the list with coordinator experience that would be good choices also.  I just hope they are willing to pay for a top notch coach, and don't lose someone because they are too tight with the money.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder