SETX High School Slam Dunk & 3-Point results

There might be a small gap between 3A and 4A but Torres would not have been even one of the best players in 21-3A either.  I can name 10 players now that are better than him.

Also I never said Torres was the whoever and neverwillbe's!!!!!  I said that as to who was in the contest last week!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D  If Torres was in the contest then he is a whoever and neverwillbe!!!!!!!  He can hang his hat on that lonely 43 point night while Benard can hang his on his State Championship and AAA Player of the Year trophies!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;) ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

The 3A - 4A PLAYER gap is not nearly as wide as the NUMBER of QUALITY players in that gap....meaning while HJ will have a player like Jarvis Bernard every other year, Houston Yates will have 4+ players just like him, 3 more better, and some size to go with it, because there is more to pull from in Houston....THATS MY take, since I was pulled into this discussion somehow!! ;):D

True in your bigger cities (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc.) you have more players to chose from.  Although I can assure you that Shannon Robinson, Jarvis Benard, Ashton Hall, Ryan Donahoe just to name a few could have all played in district 20-4A with no problems at all.

Yes ole Torres was in the contest, just got confirmation, that wannabee or neverwilbe kid...tough to be in 4a and not win a state championship, but one night at the hawks nest lit sombody up!!!!! Bottom line is you are right every two years are so, since you are counting A. Hall, some 3a kids can play in 4a....But overall, 3a needs to stay in 3a conversations, players and teams..that way posters like yorself can feel good...Bottom line, Dickie V. hits the nail on the head sometimes!!!

Good high school players????

All four were the State Player of the year!!!!!!

There are different classifications for a reason..........numbers!!!!!!!  Nederland has more than HJ and always will.  Enjoy the victory last year..........I am sure that HJ will play Nederland again soon and the the favor will be paid back.  Yes Mr. Torres got the best of the Hawks that night........hope that was not the high point of his high school career!!!!

Bernard was Player of the Year in 3A?  Think he could have done the same in 4A?  Heck NO.  What about Donahoe?  Would he have been player of the year in 4A?  No way.  Good players, but remember what level you're playing at most of the year.  Nederland was a good (not great) local 4A team, and they went to HJ and smoked one of 3A's best teams in the state.  Different level of basketball.  I know you HJ people prefer to live in a bubble, but stick you neck out of the woods, and you will see there are some other guys playing basketball in this state also. 

As to the original discussion, could some HJ or Silsbee kid have won the 3 pt contest?  Sure.  Would they?  Who knows.  Hard to say without them entering and seeing it play out.  But I do agree that watching a dunk contest where the primary participants are from Pt. Neches and Nederland, is kinda like watching Ozen play Central in baseball.   

Who said he would have been player of the year in 4A???  Nobody!!!

As far as level of competition goes........other than Ozen and Central who did Nederland play???  Silsbee, Lufkin Hudson, Jasper are all better than any other team in 20-4A except for Ozen and Central. 

I have been around more basketball in the last 20 years than most of you on this board and I can tell you that yes in the bigger schools there are more athletes and more to choose from.......however I saw every team in 20-4A play except for PNG this year and I can tell you that Robinson (Silsbee) and Benard would have both made All-District on which ever team they played for.  Are there players in 20-4A better than Robinson and Benard..............yes absolutely!!!!!  Could Torres have played for HJ or Silsbee and been a difference maker.......no question.  That is besides the point of this conversation.  Some people on this board believe that the bigger schools produce all of the best players in the area and that the small schools should get no consideration........WRONG!!!!!  I know what you are thinking that I pull for a small school and think that they could play on any level in the state.........no I do not, but I can assure they would have excelled in 20-4A!!!!!!!

As far as the 3 point contest goes........it is whoever is hot on that night............Torres was hot the night that he played at HJ and his team in very convincing fashion.  Is Nederland the better team..........IMO no, in your opinion yes!!!!!  Don't knock HJ and Silsbee because they are 3A.  They have classifications for a reason..........this is not the old times where in Indiana they had one Champion regardless of size i.e. Hoosiers!!!!!!!!

As far as the contest go.........I remember several years ago that the Montagne hosted a 3 point contest and slam dunk contest and each school either by a female or male was represented!!!!!  There was almost 3,000 people there and it was incredible with some cat from WOS named Scooby bringing home the gold in the Slam Dunk contest.  Would love for www.setxsports.com to host something similar next season!!!!!  I will be glad to be a judge!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey buddy, you got this thread heated up when you questioned the invitations and started calling out kids wannabees and neverwilbees...We all know you think if the kid from H.J. was there he most likely would have won it..Doubt there were any personal invites sent out...It was on this board and some kids showed. It is what it is...We also know that the kid from H.J. and Silsbee were pretty good and could compete in 4a, and ole Livingston wasnt too bad themselves..Played in the regional semis and got beat by the state champs..Torres, well I guess it was a career night for him, as a matter of fact I dont recall anybody else getting 43..Especially against THE HAWKS!!! Kinda stings a little.....

There is no guarantee that Benard would have won it had he been in it.............I would have put my money on him, but I have been known to lose a bet!!!! ;D ;D ;D

It started as a question of who the participants were.........not about the selection process!!!!

Hey HJ has given up 30+ on a few occassions but it is OK!!!!  I gave credit to Nederland after the game and continue to do so now!!!! 

No sting here buddy!!!!!!!

Guest DickVitale

Once it is official it will be announced.  It is out of state and has connections to others in this area.  He will be reunited with Ryan Donahoe and also another big part of the 2007 State Championship team. 

I know!! OOO!  OOOO! Pick me!! I know!! :D

Easy Team First, this is HJ boys we're talking about here.  They could play at any Div I school if they chose to.  Although Nederland beat them by 20+ points in Sour Lake, the Hawks were clearly the better team.  Ask Lazeek. 

This just in...Todd Sutherland just turned water into wine, and found a cure for the Swine Flu.  It's true.  Ask Lazeek.