Top H.S. Junior Skips Senior Season??

I thought this was a great topic to chat with you guys about. Jeremy Tyler from San Diego, California who committed to Louisville decides (with the approval and encouragement of his father) to skip his senior season and drop out of high school to go play pro ball in Europe. He said he is bored with high school basketball and think he would be better off going pro now....I totally disagree with this move. Its sad to me that this kid is going to go through life with a high school diploma and still make a lot of money because he is suppose to a big time NBA prospect. What will happen to this kid if he screws up his knee? How can this kid mature when he is around a bunch of older European men that he can't relate with because he'll just be another 17 or 18 year old american teenager? Sad thing is I can easily see a LOT of young high school players following in his footsteps. What do you guys think?

This is the hidden content, please

Guest stevenash

I thought this was a great topic to chat with you guys about. Jeremy Tyler from San Diego, California who committed to Louisville decides (with the approval and encouragement of his father) to skip his senior season and drop out of high school to go play pro ball in Europe. He said he is bored with high school basketball and think he would be better off going pro now....I totally disagree with this move. Its sad to me that this kid is going to school diplomago through life with a high   and still make a lot of money because he is suppose to a big time NBA prospect. What will happen to this kid if he screws up his knee? How can this kid mature when he is around a bunch of older European men that he can't relate with because he'll just be another 17 or 18 year old american teenager? Sad thing is I can easily see a LOT of young high school players following in his footsteps. What do you guys think?

How do you wind up with even a high school diploma if you leave school after your junior year?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=97&page=briefingroom&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d97%26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2009

When Brandon Jennings went to Europe I think we all knew it would open up new doors for kids to *backdoor* into the NBA. I think there are special circumstances where a kid should *backdoor* into the pro leagues. I can think of a local player who would benefit from this move. People, there are players out here who have serious problems with academics. Let's be real, it's just not that hard to get a high school diploma, for some people. And if it's hard for some, then they need to let them go ahead and play ball.

When Brandon Jennings went to Europe I think we all knew it would open up new doors for kids to *backdoor* into the NBA. I think there are special circumstances where a kid should *backdoor* into the pro leagues. I can think of a local player who would benefit from this move. People, there are players out here who have serious problems with academics. Let's be real, it's just not that hard to get a high school diploma, for some people. And if it's hard for some, then they need to let them go ahead and play ball.

I disagree totally with you Dove. WHat if something happen to kid and he can't play pro ball anymore. He doesn't have any type of education to back him up with. At least finish high school than be a dropout.

I disagree totally with you Dove. WHat if something happen to kid and he can't play pro ball anymore. He doesn't have any type of education to back him up with. At least finish high school than be a dropout.

He can go online and get a GED in a matter of weeks. He could also get hurt his senior year in high school. The kid is 6'9" and 240 pounds? He's going pro. Let him make his money. Tennis players do it all the time. The NCAA is trying to look out for it's butt and not have a watered down minor league pro league in the future.

I disagree totally with you Dove. What if something happen to kid and he can't play pro ball anymore. He doesn't have any type of education to back him up with. At least finish high school than be a dropout.

He can go online and get a GED in a matter of weeks. He could also get hurt his senior year in high school. The kid is 6'9" and 240 pounds? He's going pro. Let him make his money. Tennis players do it all the time. The NCAA is trying to look out for it's butt and not have a watered down minor league pro league in the future.

Having a GED does not really mean anything compare to a diploma. Even if he did get hurt his senior year at least he was able to walk on stage and receive a diploma. He only have one more year of high school and then he would be playing in a tougher league with college player. His dad made a stupid choice on my part.

I disagree totally with you Dove. What if something happen to kid and he can't play pro ball anymore. He doesn't have any type of education to back him up with. At least finish high school than be a dropout.

Having a GED does not really mean anything compare to a diploma. Even if he did get hurt his senior year at least he was able to walk on stage and receive a diploma. He only have one more year of high school and then he would be playing in a tougher league with college player. His dad made a stupid choice on my part.

If this kid makes 3 million dollars a year for a few years, who cares if he doesn't have a h.s. diploma? he could still buy the darn thing or study for it during his off days. ;)

Guest DickVitale

Should not be allowed...PERIOD. Its wrong on so many levels. California is not very high on education anyway. You should see some of their high school campuses....They look like the set of the movie "Lean On Me" BEFORE Joe Clark cleaned it up!!!!

It's always hard to accept *change*. Sometimes *change* is good. Actually I've been kind of playing devil's advocate with this thread. One reason was because I was wondering if this kid was like a certain kid out of P.A. who has become somewhat of our poster boy for academic failure. I just can't picture a high school student-athlete dropping out of school unless his grades are already poor and he's not college material.

College is not for everyone, but a high school diploma is very attainable for all.

That is all I'm saying!!!!

The kid went 12 years of school and want to drop out when he is in his last year of high school. I believe this is one of the downfall of the country. Now a lot of athletes will follow this kid footstep. ANd that is not a good thing either.

If him not being able to make the grades to get into college was the issue he still could of AT LEAST got his diploma from high school and went to an academy like hargraves academy or the patterson school for example and then went to the NBA. The rule states that you have to be one year removed from your graduating class to enter the NBA. John Wall (#1 PG in the nation in this years senior class) could go to the NBA because he is actually one year removed from his senior class but is going to college because of a promise he made to his dad who passed away when he was younger. It just blows my mind that you can just throw away a high school education like that. I can understand going to college for at least one or two years and then going pro even though i don't agree with that all the way at least those guys have high school diplomas at least. I know people say oh well he's going to make millions thats all he needs but this kid probaly won't be able to handle his money that great because he barely has a good education. You can say someone will handle his money but its kind of sad that he'll have someone pretty much taking care of him for the rest of his life.

If him not being able to make the grades to get into college was the issue he still could of AT LEAST got his diploma from high school and went to an academy like hargraves academy or the patterson school for example and then went to the NBA. The rule states that you have to be one year removed from your graduating class to enter the NBA. John Wall (#1 PG in the nation in this years senior class) could go to the NBA because he is actually one year removed from his senior class but is going to college because of a promise he made to his dad who passed away when he was younger. It just blows my mind that you can just throw away a high school education like that. I can understand going to college for at least one or two years and then going pro even though i don't agree with that all the way at least those guys have high school diplomas at least. I know people say oh well he's going to make millions thats all he needs but this kid probaly won't be able to handle his money that great because he barely has a good education. You can say someone will handle his money but its kind of sad that he'll have someone pretty much taking care of him for the rest of his life.

I think the kid WILL get his diploma. He's just possibly delaying it for right now.

It's always hard to accept *change*. Sometimes *change* is good. Actually I've been kind of playing devil's advocate with this thread. One reason was because I was wondering if this kid was like a certain kid out of P.A. who has become somewhat of our poster boy for academic failure. I just can't picture a high school student-athlete dropping out of school unless his grades are already poor and he's not college material.

So how many of us with our highly touted college diplomas are knocking down a couple of $100,00 a year?  College sports is on of the biggest rip offs off all time.  How much money is generated off these kids back?  And they don't get enough money to buy a pair of tennis shoes.  Thats why there will never be a playoff system in football, too much money lost.  The purpose of an education is to have a better life.  His dad sounds like a smart man, the kind who would invest the money wisely.  I say go and get better.  He could get hurt but that could happen in college also, atleast he'll have a big money to back him up.

So how many of us with our highly touted college diplomas are knocking down a couple of $100,00 a year?  College sports is on of the biggest rip offs off all time.  How much money is generated off these kids back?  And they don't get enough money to buy a pair of tennis shoes.  Thats why there will never be a playoff system in football, too much money lost.  The purpose of an education is to have a better life.  His dad sounds like a smart man, the kind who would invest the money wisely.  I say go and get better.  He could get hurt but that could happen in college also, atleast he'll have a big money to back him up.

Dapz to you my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Education is first.

I don't think that the NBA should let a player in that took this back door way.

Then why go to school at all. If your kid has a talent just spend 8 hours a day developing him and go the back door into the pros.

That is not the right message to be sending to young people of todays world.

Yes a GED can be gotten by most 8th graders today but not all can graduate from high school.

You are sending the WRONG message to kids who read this!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder