WO-S vs. Bay City

KFDM COOP

The way Bay City has played so far is a bigger surprise to me than Jasper's less than stellar play. They've given up a LOT of points the last two weeks. Defense has always been a staple of their program. I hear they're a young team. Still, on any given day...

Bay City will not/should not be taken lightly.

It shocked me that Bay City gave up 550 yards to Waller Friday night!! :shock: The only way Bay City keeps this close is if they score a bunch. WO-S will score at least 5 TD's. They did that last year against a Bay City defense that was better than theirs is now. And the Stangs seem to have a more balanced attack this year. I can't wait to see Bay City play. I have been wondering how they have given up 99 points in two games with the athletes they have!!

BAY CITY — It was familiar business for the Bay City football program a year ago. The Blackcats eased into the Class 3A playoffs, losing its Division II bi-district fling to old rival La Marque.

But what was not normal was the fact the Cats finished with a 5-6 record, something this football-frenzied town is not used to.“We knew going in that we might be in for a tough season,†fourth-year Coach Alan Cherry said. “But I was still proud of our kids the way we came back late in the season and beat a very good Angleton team on the road to gain a playoff spot. We had eight sophomores who either started or played important roles in that late run, and now those kids are back and ready to go another year.â€

Optimism abounds in the Cat corner as 15 lettermen return from last year’s playoff run, including five offensive and defensive starters.

“I really like this team’s overall makeup,†Cherry said. “We have a very good mix of veterans and young kids. Once again we are blessed with a group of very good athletes who seem very determined and focused for the upcoming year.â€

Like the school he represents, Cherry is not used to break-even records either. “This is the second time in my career that one of my teams has finished the regular season with five losses,†Cherry said. “And no, I am not happy with it. But our kids have worked hard in the offseason and have a year of maturity under their belts. I really believe we are ready to make a statement.â€

Cherry brings an overall coaching record of 158-43 and now sports a 27-10 log with the Cats. The Blackcat assistant coaches include Arick Heredia, Ben Powell, Justin Taylor, David Gibbens, Robert Blackmon, Rush Claxton, Robert Rayos, Doylon West, Carl Edwards and Darren Dabblegot.

Although Cherry refuses to offer excuses for last year’s record, it might be the fact the Cats tangled with the likes of state powers La Marque, West Orange-Stark and Beaumont Ozen in non-district play.

“We have never swayed away from tough competition,†he said. “And last year was pretty tough, to say the least.â€

While La Marque and Ozen drop from the preseason slate this year, the Blackcat schedule remains tough again as Bay City opens against Houston Catholic power St. Pius on Sept. 1, then plays host to Waller the following week before its annual shootout in Pearland with West Orange-Stark. Then comes state power Brenham, an open date and yet another football power, the Cuero Gobblers.

“Like I said before, it might not have made our record look very pretty last year, but we like to play the tough teams to prepare for our tough district,†Cherry said. “This year will be no different, but we are all looking forward to playing out our schedule.â€

Bay City is expected to battle Lamar Consolidated, Terry and El Campo for the district 24-4A title this year. Foster, along with first year school Katy Seven Lakes round out the tough district.

The Blackcats hosted Friendswood on Saturday in their opening scrimmage, and next play host to the Willis Wildkats on Thursday in a controlled scrimmage that also includes a $7 a plate barbecue to benefit the football program.

“We are anxious to get started,†Cherry said. “The kids look like they are in pretty good shape, but we will know more after those two scrimmages.â€

Once again, Bay City will run out of the multiple-I, spread offense, with junior quarterback Shaun Rutherford the early favorite to lead the way from his quarterback slot.

“We have at least four very good quarterback candidates,†Cherry said. “But right now, Rutherford has the edge because of his passing ability. But the other three will get their chances. They are all good athletes and will all probably be playing somewhere on the field for us.â€

Other prospects to run the Cat arsenal include Zach Benson, a 5-11, 180-pound junior speedster, along with junior Michael Smith and sophomore Travis Tomak.

“Demarcus Griggs really did a fine job for us at quarterback the last two years, but we feel like we have the kids who can get the job done,†the coach added. Griggs, a talented two-way starter, was one of five graduating Bay City seniors to receive a scholarship. He will be playing for Texas State this season.

Junior running back Randy Tanner gets the early nod to crack the starting backfield, but top newcomers including Iris Norris and Tomak could both make some noise at that position.

As always, the Blackcats are loaded with potential receivers despite losing the talented likes of Cordero Williams, Corey Blackmon and Dorian Williams from a year ago.

C.J. Patterson, Tony Davis, Paul Ellis, Coby Hines, Darian Dale and Fred Agu all are expected to be key targets for the Blackcats, along with talented tight end and returning starter Trevor Brown, a big 6-4, 220-pound senior target who should get plenty of Division I attention as the season unfolds. Bay City, like in so many other positions on the field, is blessed with excellent depth at the tight end spot as junior Zach Marburger and 6-5 senior Scott Mason both return.

The offensive line is blessed with both size and quickness with senior Earnest Treybig (6-2, 250), senior Ray Hernandez (235), junior Fred Hawkins, talented junior Matt Ashcraft (6-3, 220) and blue-chip junior Mitch Kimberling, a talented 6-4, 230-pounder.

On defense, the Cats also return a wealth of talent to run their 5-2 alignment.

The defensive trenches should be well fortified also with 6-4, 280-pound junior Michael Smith. Nose guard Sam Conway returns with his quickness as does junior Mitch Kimberly, Marburger and Mason.

The linebacking corps includes Norris, Hernandez and Grant Gay, while Cherry can call on a boatload of possibilities in the defensive backfield, including letter winners like Benson, Kyle Espinosa, Tomak, Agu, Patterson, Paul Ellis and Rutherford.

“At this time we don’t have any super football players,†Cherry said. “But we are blessed with a bunch of very good football players. And I will take that any day of the week.â€

---

blackcatsSCHEDULE

Sept. 8: Waller at Bay City (homecoming)

Sept. 16: Bay City at West Orange-Stark

Sept. 22: Bay City at Brenham

Oct. 6: Bay City at Cuero

Oct. 13: Lamar Consolidated at Bay City

Oct. 20: El Campo at Bay City

Oct. 26: Bay City at Katy Seven Lakes

Nov. 3: Terry at Bay City

Nov. 10: Bay City at Foster

They still have alot of speed on Offense. I remember them having some back from last year. Their Defense is what's killing them.[/quote

What is killing us is the offense,we finally went to a spread offense against waller and started moving the ball better.We have a very young team we start 9 jr i soph 1 sr on offense.Yes we do have very good speed on offense and our offense line is big.Our defesne played alot better against waller even if we did lose 52-20 i see some good things from this team.I will give the edgse to WOS this year but i still would not take us too lightly this week.As far as our defense we our very young there to we start 9 jr on defense after so many years of always being on top ,its benn hard to except that this may be a long year for us.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami