COACHES!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Serious opinion? Best basketball coaches in Texas? among active coaches I would say: (in no particular order)

Ronnie Courtney, Fort Bend Bush (veteran coach who gets it done wherever he lands)

Doug Boxell, Ponder (proven winner, year in and year out)

Chris Dyer, DeSoto (has been the model of consistency over the years in a TOUGH 5A region)

Greg Wise, Houston Yates (say what you will, but he has done a good job in several stops)

Mike Carrabine, Fort Bend Dulles (another veteran system coach who has gotten it done with less, often)

ALSO:

Mike Wacker, Converse Judson

Tim Martin, Alief Elsik

Todd Sutherland, Hardin Jefferson

Brian English, Nederland

Leonard Bishop, Dallas Lincoln

Guest nostradamus

David Milson - Cedar Hill

Glen Hayes - Aransas Pass

Sammy Koudelka - Moulton

Girls coach at Winnsboro???  Buddy ???

Joe Lombard - Canyon Girls

and the greatest of all tiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmeeeee, Walter Yates Jr.!!!! ;D

The collection of top basketball coaches in Texas is just too grand to narrow it down to a few. But, I'll leave it to the one's in the profession to come up with a list. Dicky's and Nos's lists are great starts.

Guest DickVitale

Well, you could put Coach Yates, SR. on that list, but he's retired now...Not JR....YET!!!!  8) Got work to do to make THAT list! ;)

Guest aschrapps

In no particular order......

Sutherland - Hj

Knowles - Kelly

english - Nederland

williams - silsbee

joubert - kountze

best coaches in the state? only sutherland has the credentials....and im a kelly fan saying this.

Guest stevenash

Sutherland - Hj

Knowles - Kelly

english - Nederland

williams - silsbee

joubert - kountze

best coaches in the state? only sutherland has the credentials....and im a kelly fan saying this.

What has Sutherland done that Joubert hasnt?

They may be referring to the length of time in coaching.

Guest spinks

Sutherland - Hj

Knowles - Kelly

english - Nederland

williams - silsbee

joubert - kountze

What has Sutherland done that Joubert hasnt?

Taken 3 different schools to the state tournament would be the difference!

i love coach Sutherland and everything he stands for but i believe anybody couldve taken those teams to the State Tournament...they were loaded with talent..1st team all-stater players on everyone..If Joub was the coach of those 3 schools at the time they wouldve made a state appearance also

i love coach Sutherland and everything he stands for but i believe anybody couldve taken those teams to the State Tournament...they were loaded with talent..1st team all-stater players on everyone..If Joub was the coach of those 3 schools at the time they wouldve made a state appearance also

C'mon now tlknhoops!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sutherland, Davis and Lee turned the last two State teams into what they were.  Yes they had talent and yes each team had a All-Stater on it, but it is the roll players that ultimately landed those two teams in the State Tournament.  I graduated with Duane and he is a great coach and a great person but he is not a grizzled vetreran like Sutherland and Staff.  Not many other coaches could have done what the HJ staff did with these players.

Guest DickVitale

Joubert is ACTUALLY a FOOTBALL guy.....Has done a real good job coaching basketball though, but is really a football guy. There is no way you could compare him to Sutherland at this point in his career, even as good as Joubert has done up to now.

Guest spinks

Joubert is ACTUALLY a FOOTBALL guy.....Has done a real good job coaching basketball though, but is really a football guy. There is no way you could compare him to Sutherland at this point in his career, even as good as Joubert has done up to now.

Agreed............these two are in different leagues.  Like you guys I love Joubert and think he is a rising star but he is in the most talent rich district possibly in the state for 2A and Sutherland has taken 3 different schools to the state tourney.  Duane good but Sutherland is great.

Guest nostradamus

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

Joubert is not "actually a FOOTBALL GUY".....Joubert played football in college but, he'll be the first to tell you that he is a basketball coach (actually his first and true love is horses!).  Joubert was a gifted athlete and football paid his way through school....that's it.  Don't get me wrong....Duane likes football and has coached it (as have all coaches in Texas at some point or another) but, Duane is a BASKETBALL GUY.

And on another note....Todd will be the first to tell you that he came over to Texas to become a head FOOTBALL coach.  His brother is a super successful football coach in Louisiana and Todd came to Texas to do the same because pay was better over in Texas during that time.  Todd did not decide to make the switch to basketball until he came to HJ and coached with Coach Breithaupt......then he left the "dark side" ;) ;D and saw "the light" ;D ;D ;D

As for saying ANY coach could've taken certain teams to state or won state championships with them is absurd.  It is very disappointing to see HJ people on here (tlknhoops) saying things like that.  If you want to make the argument that Joubert could've taken ANY of those teams to state then one could argue that the ONLY reason Joubert won his first state title is because Kountze had everyone back off of a state title team that Sutherland coached....and they dropped from 3A to 2A.  Do I believe that is true?  Not at all.  Duane did a great job keeping those kids focused on repeating and that is as tough a coaching job as getting a team that has never won to finally win.  Both coaches are great coaches in their own right and both have been wildly successful.  The thing that Todd has on most coaches in this area now is he has been doing for almost 20 years and done it everywhere he has gone......and you CANNOT speculate that ANYONE can do that until they actually have.

Guest baseball25

tlknhoops thats like saying boutte wasn't a good coach because he had perkins,young,dabney,M young,chappell...I mean you got to have talent to win..so basically what your saying  Roy Williams isn't a good coach at UNC....Every great team has talent but are the teams discpline enough to win that championship.......I saw HJ against cleveland and HJ won that game because they have  good coaching staff and they made  good adjustments throughout the game.....Hj went to state becasue yeah they had talent but they also got some very good coaches on the sidelines.

Guest DickVitale

Nos,

A basketball guy would NOT play semi-pro football in the off season....... ::) ::)....Boutte and I are huge college football fans, heck he could even coach it at the HS level if he wanted to, but we are both BASKETBALL GUYS...BIG difference...Played basketball ONLY in High school and college....Specialization....BASKETBALL GUYS....Thats all I meant. Duane is a heck of a coach, but he played football too...multi sport athlete...NOT a BASKETBALL GUY....Nothing wrong with that, thats just what it is.

Joubert has 2 rings baby!! Back to Back i may had..All im sayn is give Joub some Luv...1 thing about Joub is hes not about what can a player do for him, hes all about that player after basketball..true father figure..He makes sure those boys go off to school..its not up to him if they stay or not..lol

Guest DickVitale

Sutherland won the 3A title in 04 and Joubert came in and won the 2A title in 05.....Where did you get two rings from? He got one as a player in 91 at HJ....Is that the second one you are referring to?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami