Is BASKETBALL the KING in SE Texas? Or FOOTBALL?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

Yeah, I just wanted to give you a broader perspective of what it is in other areas and comparing them to this one...People WANT football to be the king around here, but its not....Really never HAS been....66 finals appearances to 32....Last title in 1987 for football? They spend more than they make? King? No.

BTW, the last state championship in football for this area is not 1987. Newton has one 2 state titles since then, last one in 2005 I believe. And yes, they are considered in our area.

Newton is 65 miles away fromthe golden triangle, and you consider it "SE Texas", yet Houston is 80 miles away and is not? Odd. ::) ::)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice

Yeah, I just wanted to give you a broader perspective of what it is in other areas and comparing them to this one...People WANT football to be the king around here, but its not....Really never HAS been....66 finals appearances to 32....Last title in 1987 for football? They spend more than they make? King? No.

BTW, the last state championship in football for this area is not 1987. Newton has one 2 state titles since then, last one in 2005 I believe. And yes, they are considered in our area.

Newton is 65 miles away fromthe golden triangle, and you consider it "SE Texas", yet Houston is 80 miles away and is not? Odd. ::) ::)

Not at all odd.  We can have our preferences. :D

Yeah...I know what you guys preferences are around SE Texas too..... ;) Yes I do, and you guys make it known!

Dick, if you want to continue throwing those innuendos, so be it. But as far as this site is concerned, we cover the districts that make up our area, which include Jasper, Kirbyville and Newton. I could say that Newton and Jasper is closer to Silsbee than Houston, would that help? Our boundaries as far as our coverage of teams has always been set. Basically, we cover what the local media covers(tv and print). Therefore when you talk about Southeast Texas on this site, that's what you get. It's all about the local districts.

BTW, 65 is less than 80, just so you would know. ;) ;D

Same could be said about the fact that Orange is closer to Mobile, Alabama than El Paso, but Orange is still in Texas. The boundary line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oh, as for the Farrakhan remark, you said it, I didn't. ;)

Guest stevenash

Same could be said about the fact that Orange is closer to Mobile, Alabama than El Paso, but Orange is still in Texas. The boundary line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oh, as for the Farrakhan remark, you said it, I didn't. ;)

Aggiesarewe:  Consider yourself forewarned.  Logic is looked upon skeptically by certain participants.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah. He's right AAW..... ::)...He walks around with a friggin dictionary in his hands trying to make people believe he is actually an intellectual, when in actuality he is nothing more than a self righteous, pontificating "has been" from the metropolis called Sour Lake....I can use big words too... ;)

Guest spinks

Yeah. He's right AAW..... ::)...He walks around with a friggin dictionary in his hands trying to make people believe he is actually an intellectual, when in actuality he is nothing more than a self righteous, pontificating "has been" from the metropolis called Sour Lake....I can use big words too... ;)

I would love to see this challenge................love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest stevenash

Pardon me, Dick Vitale, but I am NOT a "has been".  A more appropriate description would be "never been". (Once again, the difference being that I know what I am NOT and have no delusions otherwise) If you believe you are using big words and you also believe I need a dictionary to communicate, then you are definitely 1-a from the weakest of regions.  Better stick to basketball where you can, at least, make yourself believe you are  competent.  By the way, when you said " I can use big words, too"  were you referring to "pontificating", "metropolis" or "from"?

Guest DickVitale

DV.....warning....barking up the wrong tree padna.

Thanks...I think it is HE who knows not what he doeth in trying to combat Dickie V!!  :D

As far as popularity goes, it's still football in this area. A local school can have tremendous success in basketball but not so much in football and it will be shown by the support that they get. But let that same school start winning in football and you will see the support for their successful basketball team pale in comparison to the football support. I broadcast both these sports along with baseball for this site, I have seen it with my own eyes. Schools that are traditionally successful in basketball that start getting successful in football will see the support for football be dramatically more than basketball. Even if it's just one year of success in football out of the last 10 years for that particular school, for that one year, football will be KING at that school.

It is what it is.

Stop it!.. Quit running those finger nails down the chalk board.......lol......

Guest stevenash

Thanks...I think it is HE who knows not what he doeth in trying to combat Dickie V!!  :D

The "potential violence" card is as ineffective, if not more so, than the race card.

Guest DickVitale

The "potential violence" card is as ineffective, if not more so, than the race card.

I meant a war of words you cretin... ::)

Guest stevenash

I meant a war of words you cretin... ::)

1-a

Guest ECBucFan

I am hardly "anti-basketball", but quite frankly, this is a laughable question! Football in SETX (with HJ, Kountze, Spurger excepted) is EASILY #1. No doubt whatsoever.

If you still doubt, repeat this thread in the football forum!  :o

Guest DickVitale

Dickie, you're battng against all odds here. The throw empty beer cans in back of their pick up before classes start at their school in Hardin-Jefferson. They still think Houston is a foreign country. ::)

That's pretty much how I thought they were down there!! LOL :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics