what makes a bad and a good coach??

Guest DickVitale

Todd Sutherland makes a good coach.  He is high school's verison of Duke's Coach K.  Take what Sutherland does, insert multiple layers of passion, mix in a 55-gallon drum of discipline, and poof...average players turn into winners.  He does it year in and year out. 

Any coach who can take AVERAGE players and make them into winners has to have some skills and should be recognized. A lot of coaches don't know how to develop AVERAGE players into their system.

So Boutte and Gamble have always had all the talent right? typical SE Texas mentality. I will BET you that the folks in HJ would say Sutherland has done MORE than those guys with "less" talent...And that could not be further from the truth.

Hold on a second dickie v.  A few weeks ago HJ was average at best and NOW you are swaying your argument saying that the talent is better and the coaching is just ok.  Man you are something else!!!!

I never said ANYTHING about their coaching other than whatI have always said....They do good job over there. and they have.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevenash

Todd Sutherland makes a good coach.  He is high school's verison of Duke's Coach K.  Take what Sutherland does, insert multiple layers of passion, mix in a 55-gallon drum of discipline, and poof...average players turn into winners.  He does it year in and year out. 

Any coach who can take AVERAGE players and make them into winners has to have some skills and should be recognized. A lot of coaches don't know how to develop AVERAGE players into their system.

So Boutte and Gamble have always had all the talent right? typical SE Texas mentality. I will BET you that the folks in HJ would say Sutherland has done MORE than those guys with "less" talent...And that could not be further from the truth.

Hold on a second dickie v.  A few weeks ago HJ was average at best and NOW you are swaying your argument saying that the talent is better and the coaching is just ok.  Man you are something else!!!!

I never said ANYTHING about their coaching other than whatI have always said....They do good job over there. and they have.

Obviously its not what you say but what you IMPLY.

Guest nostradamus

I will dispute one thing.......Coach K hasn't had "average players" in his program in over 20 years.

McDonald's wants to open up a string of franchises on the Duke campus because they have so many All-Americans playing there.

Guest DickVitale

I will dispute one thing.......Coach K hasn't had "average players" in his program in over 20 years.

McDonald's wants to open up a string of franchises on the Duke campus because they have so many All-Americans playing there.

So you are saying player for player, THIS year, Duke is more talented than Texas is?

Guest spinks

So you are saying player for player, THIS year, Duke is more talented than Texas is?

Maybe not player for player but the top 5 versus the top 5.............yes duke is more talented.  PERIOD!!!

Guest stevenash

Maybe not player for player but the top 5 versus the top 5.............yes duke is more talented.  PERIOD!!!

Be careful there spinks.  Haven't you learned yet that your opinion counts for nothing?  It doesn't matter that you played in state tourneys for two years and in two different sports and that your college team was a top 25 team because you are from a "weak regioned" 3-a school not to mention the fact that your state appearances were accomplished when your "hick" school was competing at the 4-a level.

Guest DickVitale

Too bad they allow more than FIVE PLAYERS TO PLAY DURING A GAME!!! Texas, player for player was more talented than Duke....SYSTEM PLAYERS at Duke....SYSTEM.

Guest stevenash

Sorry, Dick but that is JUST your opinion. (yes, get ready for the shock of your life but YOUR OPINION has not been deemed to be the correct one)

Too bad they allow more than FIVE PLAYERS TO PLAY DURING A GAME!!! Texas, player for player was more talented than Duke....SYSTEM PLAYERS at Duke....SYSTEM.

Guest spinks

Oh I wasn't aware that they play more than 5 players.  I was referring to the fact that dukes starters play 90% of the game and they do not have much of a bench.  Who would you rather have at point gaurd.........scheyer or well I wont even ask it is scheyer!  At the two position it is clear that Abrams wins.  At the three henderson or ........again I wont ask.  At the 4 position Singler vs James.............again it is singler.......and the 5 position I would take Texas' big man.  DUKE IS MORE TALENTED.  What system makes duke better than Texas??????

Guest stevenash

Duke has basketball players and Texas has athletes!!!!!!!!!

Dick- Could you go ahead and enlighten we country folk on the parameters used to "declare" (unilaterally, I might add) that Texas had the superior talent?  Are we then saying that last year, the Lakers had the superior talent, but the Celtics had system players?  My I humbly(and, of course, uninformedly) beg to differ?

Guest DickVitale

Duke has basketball players and Texas has athletes!!!!!!!!!

Dick- Could you go ahead and enlighten we country folk on the parameters used to "declare" (unilaterally, I might add) that Texas had the superior talent?  Are we then saying that last year, the Lakers had the superior talent, but the Celtics had system players?  My I humbly(and, of course, uninformedly) beg to differ?

The thought was about Coach K and Duke, and how it was said that he only wins due to gaining McDonalds all americans year in and year out... ::) ::) ::)....What the (blank) are YOU talking about the Lakers and Celtics for?

Guest nostradamus

The thought was about Coach K and Duke, and how it was said that he only wins due to gaining McDonalds all americans year in and year out...

See, now you have changed my whole statement.  I never said that is the only reason he wins.  I SAID that he hasn't had average players on his team in over 20 years.  BIG DIFFERENCE!!!  Texas doesn't have average players either.  Neither does Kansas, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, UCONN or any of the other big dogs in DI.  Cleveland St. has some average players, Utah St. has some average players.  Duke and the likes get the cream of the crop.

I NEVER said and WILL NEVER say that Coach K only wins because of the players he gets....however, I do think Pitino is a better coach.

Guest DickVitale

Whoa....I like Pitino and all, but what brings you to that conclusion? Wins? Titles? Or just winning in different programs...He only won a title at UK...Explain that one, man... 8)

Guest nostradamus

Coach K only won a title at Duke.

Pitino is the only coach to take 3 different DI schools to the final four and if he wins it all this year he would be the only coach to win national championships with two different schools. 

Don't get me wrong........I LOOOVE Coach K and have read all his books.  I just like Pitino better.  I always have.  I LOOOVE how hard his teams play and how important physical conditioning and strength are in his overall philosophy and how he can convince players to do everything they can to be in the best physical shape of their lives.

Now talk about having average players.  His Providence team was full of them.......along with his first team at Kentucky.  Travis Ford, Billy Donovan........he made them look like superstars.

Guest spinks

Pitino is the only coach to take 3 different DI schools to the final four and if he wins it all this year he would be the only coach to win national championships with two different schools. 

Don't get me wrong........I LOOOVE Coach K and have read all his books.  I just like Pitino better.  I always have.  I LOOOVE how hard his teams play and how important physical conditioning and strength are in his overall philosophy and how he can convince players to do everything they can to be in the best physical shape of their lives.

Now talk about having average players.  His Providence team was full of them.......along with his first team at Kentucky.  Travis Ford, Billy Donovan........he made them look like superstars.

I agree with this assesment on making average players look better.  Just look and see the number of guys that went to the NBA from Kentucky that went bust.  It was because Pitino made them better than they were!!!!

Guest DickVitale

I agree with this assesment on making average players look better.  Just look and see the number of guys that went to the NBA from Kentucky that went bust.  It was because Pitino made them better than they were!!!!

OK. Thats a reasonable analogy...Duke has long been known NOT to have many NBA players as well, spinks...They are on even ground with that one...Heck I picked Louisville to BEAT Duke in this years NCAA Final, ironically! :D

Guest stevenash

Spinks and Nos, you guys crack me up.  Both of you are on here thinking there is some rationale or reason to your conclusions.  When will you understand what you are up against?  This is like the coach at Hamshire Fannett trying to give suggestions to John Calipari.

Guest spinks

OK. Thats a reasonable analogy...Duke has long been known NOT to have many NBA players as well, spinks...They are on even ground with that one...Heck I picked Louisville to BEAT Duke in this years NCAA Final, ironically! :D

That is an OLD perception..........Duke currently has 12 players in the NBA half of which are top tier NBA players.

Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon, Mike Dunleavy, Grant Hill, Corey Magette, Josh McRoberts, JJ Redick, and Shelden Williams.

Kentucky players get in to the NBA but just don't make it because the NBA THOUGHT they were better.

Can we at least agree that Todd Sutherland is one of the better coaches around these parts?  I'm a little partial and believe he's actually the best around these parts.  I'm confident he could take a lot of average teams and make them better. 

Dickie V, you're a coach, I know.  Can good coaches sometimes win games?  Can bad coaches sometimes lose games?  I believe it happens all too often, and I believe Todd Sutherland has won games over his career by his ability to pull greatness from his players.  I believe that makes him a good/great coach.

Guest DickVitale

Good coaches CAN make a HUGE difference, especially in big games. I also concur that the opposite can very well happen too. Todd Sutherland is a very good coach. He has proven that he can win big games and has done it at East Chambers, Kountze and HJ.  He prepares his teams well and I am certain that his assistants are gaining valuable knowledge through working beside him. I respect him as a person and as a coach.

Good coaches CAN make a HUGE difference, especially in big games. I also concur that the opposite can very well happen too. Todd Sutherland is a very good coach. He has proven that he can win big games and has done it at East Chambers, Kountze and HJ.  He prepares his teams well and I am certain that his assistants are gaining valuable knowledge through working beside him. I respect him as a person and as a coach.

Dickie V, I don't care what "they" say about you.  You're all right in my book.

Stop the presses DV has spoken!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed