dayton baseball

Smesney was 86-88 mph early last night. Hardest thrower we have seen thus far. If he's your #2, the other kid must be something else.

I don't think we have a "number one"--we have 3 quality pitchers that on any given day can throw a great game---

Frank's velocity is getting there and his control was outstanding-perfect game until the 5th. The defense was solid until the 7th when the inning opened with an infield error add in two more errors a couple of dink infield hits several walks and two solid hits and the score was close---should not have been

Guest patriot117

Smesney was 86-88 mph early last night. Hardest thrower we have seen thus far. If he's your #2, the other kid must be something else.

I don't think we have a "number one"--we have 3 quality pitchers that on any given day can throw a great game---

Frank's velocity is getting there and his control was outstanding-perfect game until the 5th. The defense was solid until the 7th when the inning opened with an infield error add in two more errors a couple of dink infield hits several walks and two solid hits and the score was close---should not have been

But it was. 

But it was. 

yes it was--just points out the work Dayton still needs to do on defense--no slight intended

Guest patriot117

Frank looked great against Baytown the score does not reflect the true game. dayton needs to move some people around on defense, but Stewart is doing a good job, and hopefully he will figure things out.

How does the score not reflect the "true game?"  Smesney was dominate for 6 innings, the linescore shows that! He got tired, GCM put a 7 spot on you in the 7th. Dink hits, errors, whatever it takes!

Jacobs was not sharp, too many walks, and Dayton took advantage of it. The homer in the 5th to the 8 hole hitter turns out to be the difference in the game.

The score is the score. 10-7. That was, and is, a true representation of how things turned out.

True Memorial  showed alot of heart the way they fought back.Yes there were some dink hits but there were also 2 pretty good hits off of him that I can remember in the last inning that pulled him from the game.Still one of the better pitched games

Ive seen.If it were'nt for a couple of errors on the corner by memorial it would of been real tight.Good job by both teams.

The 7th started out with a weak ground ball to 2nd but an error let him on. I think the 2nd baseman injured a finger on his right hand which may have been a factor but that opened the door. Then Smesny walked one, gave up a single and a solid double. With the shutout now gone he was pulled clearly being out of gas. Kolarik got the first two, single, E-4, BB, BB, E-9(scored 3),and a K to finish it. Kolarik pitched very well and IMO was squeezed at the end. If I counted correctly then after he came in 5 or 6 runs scored on one hit.

Guest patriot117

The 7th started out with a weak ground ball to 2nd but an error let him on. I think the 2nd baseman injured a finger on his right hand which may have been a factor but that opened the door. Then Smesny walked one, gave up a single and a solid double. With the shutout now gone he was pulled clearly being out of gas. Kolarik got the first two, single, E-4, BB, BB, E-9(scored 3),and a K to finish it. Kolarik pitched very well and IMO was squeezed at the end. If I counted correctly then after he came in 5 or 6 runs scored on one hit.

Yea, your pitcher got "squeezed" for an inning. That's the only way our pitiful little team could make it a game with the powerful Bronco's. Thanks for letting us be on the same field.

patriot117 - I think you have misunderstood the Dayton posters.  No slight is intended toward your team at all.

You must admit, the Broncos made several errors in the last ending that put the Patriots back into the game.  When Smesny left the game in the 7th inning the score was 10-2. The 5 runs that were scored by Baytown were a combination of Dayton errors, the pitcher being squeezed (and I assure you he was!), and good hitting by GCM.  I think GCM showed alot of heart by not giving up and fighting until the end. 

No one is slighting your team.

Guest patriot117

I know I am wearing my feelings on my sleeves. We did not perform up to our abilities and let our youth get to us at times. A pitcher can never allow himself to be influenced by the crowds reactions to balls and strikes. He lost focus and Dayton made him pay. I am glad we did not quit. I just hope we have a better showing the next time.

It just seems that some Dayton posters keep referring to the fact that Smesney got tired, the defense committed errors, etc...or you would have blown us out. The score is the score. We lost by 3.

Watch out for North Forrest, they can lull you to sleep.  Good Luck with K Park on Friday.

Guest patriot117

Sorry. I was thinking about Barbers Hill and K Park.

This district is so wide open. With the exception of K Park and GCM, there is a ton of Sr leadership on the other teams. I was really suprised at the number of Sr's Dayton had playing. It will be the difference maker this year. I did not know too much about Dayton's baseball. Smesney was outstanding. Best we've seen to date.

I was told that A J Dugat played ball for a while. What happened to him (besides being a football beast)?

Guest rambleonus

I'm glad to hear Smesny's arm is better.  He got roughed up by Kpark in Orange.  I hope he pitches against us the next time around.  Seeing quality pitching like that will help a team in the next round for sure.  My son also plays football and goes to offseason.  It's helped him stay strong but I worry he'll get injured lifting and he'll have to miss baseball.

Guest patriot117

It was good for our kids too. They need to learn to adjust to a pitcher no matter what speed. The same thing happened against North Forrest, just for the opposite reason. They adjusted the second time through and the results were much better. Smesney had so many 3 to 4 pitch at bats that he did not wear down until late in the game. If our kids would have had the AB's like #3 for Dayton, Smesney might have gotten tired a lot earlier. That kid drew 2 walks after an 0-2 count. THAT is what a leadoff batter does.

Our football players are not required to participate in offseason if they are on Varsity in their other sports. Soon as that sport is done, they make the lateral move back to football.

It was good for our kids too. They need to learn to adjust to a pitcher no matter what speed. The same thing happened against North Forrest, just for the opposite reason. They adjusted the second time through and the results were much better. Smesney had so many 3 to 4 pitch at bats that he did not wear down until late in the game. If our kids would have had the AB's like #3 for Dayton, Smesney might have gotten tired a lot earlier. That kid drew 2 walks after an 0-2 count. THAT is what a leadoff batter does.

Our football players are not required to participate in offseason if they are on Varsity in their other sports. Soon as that sport is done, they make the lateral move back to football.

IMO, exactly how it should be.

Guys lifting weights should be done yr round. The fact is they are not going to get hurt lifting weights when done right while playing ball. I lifted atleast 3 times a week while in high school and college and it made me a millions times better. Weights are a neccessity not an option in my opinion. When done right the kids will benefit from it.

To some extent, only difference mainly is the amount of weight being lifted. In football you may lift heavy weight and low reps in baseball you lift lighter amounts and get heavier in ladder form. I never have been injured due to lifting but I have sen the gus who did not lift get injured more often. You should still get stronger in baseball, during the season cut back a little on reps and weight but the main goal is maintain and possibly gain a lil strength.

To some extent, only difference mainly is the amount of weight being lifted. In football you may lift heavy weight and low reps in baseball you lift lighter amounts and get heavier in ladder form. I never have been injured due to lifting but I have sen the gus who did not lift get injured more often. You should still get stronger in baseball, during the season cut back a little on reps and weight but the main goal is maintain and possibly gain a lil strength.

agree You cannot be 2 tight playing baseball after your work out make sure you stretch

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83