What is the word on J-Mychal Reese?

Just saw on TABC that the kid made the 5A All-State team as a Freshman.  WOW!!!!!  If anyone has seen him play I would love to hear what you thought of him.  Making the All-State team in any classification as a Freshman is something special, but to do it at the 5A level is CRAZY!!!!  Congrats to the kid.

Guest nostradamus

I know that he was a 9th grader that made all-state in 5A...

...and I bit that hand off...we don't need your bar-b-que sprayin' self anyway!!

this kid can go. Seen him play in the Lufkin Tour. back in December. He will be on this team all four years as long

as he has a decent supporting cast to make a round or two in the playoffs. I would love to see him go

play ball at Lamar but its not going to happen he should end up in College Station.

this kid can go. Seen him play in the Lufkin Tour. back in December. He will be on this team all four years as long

as he has a decent supporting cast to make a round or two in the playoffs. I would love to see him go

play ball at Lamar but its not going to happen he should end up in College Station.

J-Mike has been promoted since his AAU team won the 10u (4th grade) AAU Nationals. This kid has been to every major basketball camp for his age group since then. His dad is the head coach at Bryan. He's actually received letters from Arizona (?) and another major D-1 while in middle school. This kid played with the Houston Hoops #1 team and travelled across the country with their older team. He didn't get a lot of playing time at times but the experience definitely got him ready for high school. The kid is being groomed to play in the NBA.

Guest aschrapps

First of all I want to discuss something that is relevant to the top of the freshmen class. Not neccesarily with j-mych but with players like Zach Peters and others and that is the process of reassigning. Reassigning is when parents hold their children back so they have another year of athletic eligibility and an advantage. The process is disgusting and parents should be ashamed.

Second off in regards to reese, he has a high basketball iq as I'm sure is the result of playing at such a young age and being a coaches son. However he is not the most explosive athlete and I have personally seen him struggle against more athletic competition. He is a good basketball player don't get me wrong. It's just the process of ranking kids at such a young age is so hard because it is hard to determine how a player will mature.

Also I don't necessarily know that playing for the 17 year old hoops team was as big of an advantge as it could have been. After watching them play it seemed to me that him and tommy mason griffin did not get along and mason griffin would rarely pass him the ball. I think lj rose actually got more out of it. Rose plays for second baptist and is one of two very talented freshman point guards along with Christian sanders who also attends second. Also I think reese has somewhat of a bullseye in his class as many players would like their shot at him but haven't got it because his dad has protected him in terms of when and where he plays. Also it's very hard for him to stay at number one. There are several talented bigs in this class(Jeremy King and Aaron Durley of St. Thomas to name two) and big men will always be ranked high because you can't teach size.

First of all I want to discuss something that is relevant to the top of the freshmen class. Not neccesarily with j-mych but with players like Zach Peters and others and that is the process of reassigning. Reassigning is when parents hold their children back so they have another year of athletic eligibility and an advantage. The process is disgusting and parents should be ashamed.

Second off in regards to reese, he has a high basketball iq as I'm sure is the result of playing at such a young age and being a coaches son. However he is not the most explosive athlete and I have personally seen him struggle against more athletic competition. He is a good basketball player don't get me wrong. It's just the process of ranking kids at such a young age is so hard because it is hard to determine how a player will mature.

Also I don't necessarily know that playing for the 17 year old hoops team was as big of an advantge as it could have been. After watching them play it seemed to me that him and tommy mason griffin did not get along and mason griffin would rarely pass him the ball. I think lj rose actually got more out of it. Rose plays for second baptist and is one of two very talented freshman point guards along with Christian sanders who also attends second. Also I think reese has somewhat of a bullseye in his class as many players would like their shot at him but haven't got it because his dad has protected him in terms of when and where he plays. Also it's very hard for him to stay at number one. There are several talented bigs in this class(Jeremy King and Aaron Durley of St. Thomas to name two) and big men will always be ranked high because you can't teach size.

Ah-hh! I see you keep up with some touchy dark basketball subjects that would take an entire online book to cover. Since you mentioned Peters and Reese, I''ll  stick more to subject matter in regards to them and my own personal opinions. As far as Peters, I've never seen him play other than watching him at the so-called elite camps. Plus, he'a a big man so I don't really follow bigs because they are suppose to do the thing they do. They are bigger than everybody else ;D  There was a time when I didn't know what class Peters was graduating because the reports were very conflicting. What you call reassigning is what I call Grade Exceptions (GE's). GE's are prevalent in AAU from the 4th grade and maybe more so in high school. I too think it is disgusting to hold back kids for athletic reasons, but it is being done by parents. It's already enough kids being held back because of academic problems.

As far as J-Mike, I agree, Lynden Rose seems to be quicker and better. But understand, the ranking service for these kids is a big business. It's about getting their names out there and keeping it out there. I think his dad has done a good job of promoting this kid. He does or at least  did pick and choose where he son played. J is going to have to depend on his ability now , but thats what dad had in mind anyway, I'm sure. ;)

I agree about the Hoops, the one time I saw them J looked out of place and unsure.

There are people highly invested in keeping kids like j-mike at the top of the rankings.  He's going to have his opportunity at a top division I program and then we'll see what he's all about. 

You got that right! His dad has done a good job of positioning his son with the right teams to get exposure.

I'll be keeping track where he is this summer. My guess is back with the Hoops.

Guest aschrapps

Id almost say neither based on his past record. Although I dont know the level of schedule Bryan plays. For the level of player of J I would almost say aau and camps so that people can truly see him against the best

Id almost say neither based on his past record. Although I dont know the level of schedule Bryan plays. For the level of player of J I would almost say aau and camps so that people can truly see him against the best

Danh Hoops! That was suppose to be a trick question and you got it right. Hmmm? You've been around.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124