LC-M vs. Central

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears soccer team will enter the playoffs as the district’s third place team following a 2-1 road victory over the Central Jaguars on Tuesday night.  Seth Arteaga carried the Bears by scoring both goals; while Tommy Jones earned two assists. 

The Bears worked hard to defeat a physical Jaguar team.  “It was like a train wreck out there,†commented Bears Coach Matt Wedel on the game’s rough action. 

Although the Bears outshot their opponent by a 24-9 margin, the Jaguars jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 17 minute mark on their first shot of the game.  The score occurred on a breakaway opportunity by the Jaguars.

Two minutes later, Seth Arteaga tied the game with an impressive goal. Jones spotted Arteaga near the ten-yard line with one defender to beat.  “Tommy gave me a perfect passâ€, Arteaga said.  “The goalie came out to defend me and my kick slipped under him.† Arteaga’s shot was angled to the back right post.

Jones’ most significant contribution of the night occurred on the game-winning score with three minutes remaining in the first half. 

Jones gained possession for the Bears when he hustled to win a race for the ball.  Jones then kicked the ball off a Jaguar player that bounced out-of-bounds near of the forty yard line.  Jones scrambled to grab the ball and quickly threw a long pass to Arteaga.  “I saw Seth open downfieldâ€, said Jones.  “I was hoping to get the throw to reach him.†

The strong throw was accurate enough to allow Arteaga to immediately attack the goal.  When the goalie came out of the box to defend the penetration, Arteaga calmly kicked a lobbed shot over the goalie from five yards out.   

Wedel was appreciative of Arteaga and Jones’ efforts.  “It was a beautiful throw-in by Tommyâ€, said Wedel.  “It was his best game of the season.â€

With six goals in the past three games, Arteaga has been on a hot streak.  “Seth showed off his footwork tonightâ€, said Wedel.  “Seth and T.C. Scalfano work well together.  Scalfano demands lots of attention from the opposition’s defense, so it gives Seth room to operate,†Wedel commented.

The Bears defense then clamped down to prevent the Jaguars from scoring for the remainder of the game.  Goalie Christian Diaz entered the game for an injured Max Perkins at the beginning of the second half.  “Christian’s play was outstanding,†noted Wedel.  “He came off the bench to make some great saves.†

Defender Brett Heil also shined for the Bears.  “Brett played one heck of a game for usâ€, Wedel said.  And, “we are fortunate to have the two midfielders, Garhett Bonneaux and Vance Foster, who can control the game for us.â€

The Bears next objective is to prepare for the playoffs.  The Bears will face the Vidor Pirates at the end of next week at an undecided location.  “We are concentrating on getting ready for the playoffsâ€, said Wedel.  The Bears are relatively healthy and eager to battle a familiar cross-county rival.       

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami