H-J’s Sims stepping down from basketball

H-J’s Sims stepping down from basketball

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

SOUR LAKE — Carol Sims might have called Hardin-Jefferson High School home yet her touch on girls’ basketball was felt all across Southeast Texas.

Sims has announced that after over 30 years of coaching she will step away from the court.

Sims, who has over 500 career wins, coached the Lady Hawks for 12 seasons and 10 of those years ended in the playoffs. The 2001 team reached the state tournament. She ends her Hardin-Jefferson career with a school mark of 262-127 with 10 of the 12 years spent in Sour Lake having 20 wins or more.

“It has just become time to leave,†Sims said on Monday. “There is so much work that needs to be done to keep a program where you want it to be. So physically it was time to let someone a little younger come in. It was not an easy decision. I still have a passion for the game and love the game.â€

Orangefield Coach Chris Jost has seen first hand the passion Sims has for the game over the last two years as head coach of the Lady Bobcats.

“Her teams always play hard and are very well prepared,†Jost said. “I was surprised when I heard the news and then got the opportunity to speak with her. I told her it made our third game this year very special knowing it would be the last one. She ran her program with class and she definitely was a great ambassador for girls’ basketball in our area.â€

Sims said it appears Janet Davis, an assistant at H-J, will take over for the Lady Hawks.

“I will carry some amazing stories from my career,†Sims said. “I was just telling the girls the other day I can look at certain spots on the court and remember players shooting or even the score of the game. My greatest memory has to be when we returned from the state tournament and came in during the closing ceremonies of the Little Dribblers events. We had 100 girls screaming and asking for our autographs. That made me realize this is where I wanted to be.â€

Lamar assistant coach Sondra Ancelot Lundvick has been around Sims for many years and knows what the girls’ game in Southeast Texas will now be missing.

“She was and is great for girls’ basketball,†Lundvick said. “I am not going to say we lost her because she will still be around. Being outside the coaching realm will be more difficult on her than anyone else. Carol is well thought of in the coaching community and for a good reason. She once helped me get back into this area and I always looked to her and appreciated her opinion. She has been so good at it for so long.

“She was a great player too. She is still the second all-time leading scorer in Lamar history. Then she went straight into coaching. Carol has been to the state tournament and has more district championships than you can count. The list of accolades go on and on.â€

And now as Sims rides off into the sunset, the future of girls’ basketball in Southeast Texas will always have a big fan in the stands.

“I hope girls’ basketball players continue to get the recognition they deserve,†Sims said. “I plan on being at all Lady Hawks’ games. I am now their No. 1 fan.â€

SE Texas girls basketball will surely miss her,  :'( She is truly a class act and such a wonderful person to be around. I can remember the first Lady Hawk game I went to and I was so impressed with her as a coach, I couldn't believe girls basketball was so intense. She has done so much for the lady Hawk program, everyone in District knew you were in for a game when you played HJ, and she is broadly respected in the coaching community. Thank You Ms. Sims for all of your tireless efforts, countless hours, and dedication you have given to HJ. Not many people understand and realize how much heart you put into your job, but I did, wait thats not true I only saw a small portion and that portion was a lot. Ms. Sims always went above and beyond for the kids and they knew it, that's why they have always played so hard for her.  I consider Ms. Sims as my friend and I hope she feels the same way. I will surely miss seeing her on the court but I bet her knees will disagree with me.  ;D  Hopefully she can sit by me now at the games and root for Ms. Davis and those lady Hawks.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder