My take on the Ozen/Jefferson situation......

TopHat31

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullets, I like you.  But, you have no idea.  He has been caught(unlike many others) and he can now go either way.  He wakes up or he is a bad kid.  Give him his one chance to prove he was just stupid.  If he screws up again, I am with you.

ditto.  you don't bring a bad argument to the table.  my biggest worry is just that the light punishment will not be enough to help him decide which way to go.  hopefully, regardless of how this ends up, he'll straighten himself out and make the most out of the talent he's been blessed with.

Guest DickVitale

Bullets, I like you.  But, you have no idea.  He has been caught(unlike many others) and he can now go either way.  He wakes up or he is a bad kid.  Give him his one chance to prove he was just stupid.  If he screws up again, I am with you.

ditto.  you don't bring a bad argument to the table.  my biggest worry is just that the light punishment will not be enough to help him decide which way to go.  hopefully, regardless of how this ends up, he'll straighten himself out and make the most out of the talent he's been blessed with.

Such a tender and warm moment, so close to Valentine's Day and all!! :D :D....I wish we could all get along like you guys!!! ;D

Such a tender and warm moment, so close to Valentine's Day and all!! :D :D....I wish we could all get along like you guys!!! ;D

not everyone can have hearts so tender and pure.

not everyone can have hearts so tender and pure.

6.gif

Aaawww...Feel the Love

1.gif

;D

Here is just an opinion.  I am never going to be in favor of throwing a young man, athlete or otherwise, under the bus.  But it's not right to make excuses for the behavior such as: it is condoned at home(while a police officer in the same city that my grandfather had served in I arrested the same family just a different generation as he did:  the cycle has to stop some where); he is from an urban area(just as much drug us in suburban and rural areas); he took the wrap for the whole car(if it wasn't his he shouldn't have said it was); other people have done it(are you going to jump off a bridge because others have done it), it's only marijuana(bottom line it is illegal:  I don't like speed limits but if I get caught speeding I have to pay the fine);etc.  In treatment(I have some professional experience in this area) it is taught you are responsible for your actions period.......you cannot do an illegal act responsibly.....and you accept the consequences that come with your actions.  As long as the athletic policy in writing is followed then noone should be up in arms about the amount of days(I expected more) he was suspended (Nederland's policy I am told would have required a six month suspension);  If the policy needs to be changed then change it but you can only penalize what is in writing now and I honestly do not know BISD's policy.....If it is shown that the coach knew or should have known then that is his responsibility and BISD needs to hold him accountable.  Ultimately, it would not take the school to suspend my son, I would have suspended him myself because the lesson he needs to learn from this is far more important than the athletics.  I wish Ozen the best in the playoffs and hope to see the player playing at the collegiate level in the future.     

If my son did something stupid off school grounds, I would not want the school to take action against my child. That would be my responsibility! I hold my kid to a higher standard than the school district. IMO, the school district is there to teach my kid, but I am here to RAISE my kid.  There is a difference.

I agree!  As I have said the school would not have to suspend my son for I would have already suspended him myself..... Unfortunately many parents abdicate their responsibility.  Participating in UIL events is a privilege and because of the possible adverse effect on teams, the athletic policy should address the issue.  This teaches accountability. 

The kid is in a good position to better his life. I'm sure the people in power don't want to casue too many roadblocks for the kid. The kid made a mistake and all you can do is hope that he learns from it. Some do and some don't. It's his life. he'll have some sort of probationary status hovering over his head for several years. I've heard probation is almost like being in jail. :'(    <sweat

The kid is in a good position to better his life. I'm sure the people in power don't want to casue too many roadblocks for the kid. The kid made a mistake and all you can do is hope that he learns from it. Some do and some don't. It's his life. he'll have some sort of probationary status hovering over his head for several years. I've heard probation is almost like being in jail. :'(    <sweat

When I was 18 (1984) I received a DWI. I was on probation for 2 years. Back then DWI was not as big a deal as it is now. I had to report once per month to probation officer and spend about 30 minutes with him. I could not go to bars, have a gun, etc...... It took away a lot of freedoms you take for granted. I learned my lesson and stayed out of trouble to date. Hopefully he will realize that 5 minutes of fun can screw up many years of your life.

When I was 18 (1984) I received a DWI. I was on probation for 2 years. Back then DWI was not as big a deal as it is now. I had to report once per month to probation officer and spend about 30 minutes with him. I could not go to bars, have a gun, etc...... It took away a lot of freedoms you take for granted. I learned my lesson and stayed out of trouble to date. Hopefully he will realize that 5 minutes of fun can screw up many years of your life.

From your picture, I knew you had gone thru some tough times ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83