Lady Cats Power Past Lady Cards 83-26

This is the hidden content, please

Lady 'Cats power past Lady 'Cards, 83-26

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — Orangefield Coach Chris Jost has been waiting for a night like Tuesday night.

A night when the No. 12 Lady Bobcats put a complete game together and never stop for one second.

Orangefield’s complete game was not good news for Bridge City who lost 83-26 at Bobcats’ Gym.

For 31-minutes, 57-seconds every Lady Bobcat (20-5, 5-1) had scored except one. Ashton Wagner drained a three-pointer at the buzzer to send the crowd into an uproar. Ashton Wagner was busy all night though collecting five rebounds to go with two assists and two steals.

Senior Allie Beach led all players with 17 points and also pulled in six rebounds while fellow senior Olivia Wagner added 16 points and six rebounds. Jessica Weldon had seven points, four rebounds, four assists and four steals.

Bridge City’s (9-17, 1-5) Jordan Royal had a double-double for the second time in a row with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Senior Mallory Guidry, whose hustle never stopped, finished with six points and six rebounds.

Orangefield’s practice on free throws was also obvious to the crowd and Jost.

“We have been shooting nothing but free throws in practice,†Jost said. “We have to have them to be a great team and win a championship.â€

Orangefield was 24-for-39 from the charity stripe.

“When we shoot like that, we are a pretty good team,†Jost added.

Orangefield’s defense was also tenacious Tuesday night, causing 27 turnovers.

“Tonight we played our best four quarters of basketball,†Jost said. “In a lot of games we have played only good halves. We just got after it for all 32 minutes. I am proud of our team effort.â€

Sophomore Marissa Wyatt, who has recently missed time with an injury, poured in 14 points for the Lady Bobcats and also grabbed five rebounds while Aimee Scales had eight points and drug in nine boards. Kacy Juneau finished with six points, Kasidy Hayes had five boards, Morgan Taylor finished with six points and Carly Rucker had four points and five boards.

“Those three seniors are so solid and Marissa had probably her best game of the year,†Jost said. “It was a great team effort. They never let up.â€

Allison Angelle finished with six rebounds for the Lady Cardinals while Whitney Knippers added five points.

The Lady Bobcats were up 43-12 at the half and then outscored the Lady Cardinals 19-5 in the third.

Royal had seven of her 10 points in the fourth for Bridge City.

Wyatt had 12 of her 14 points for Orangefield in the second.

The Lady Cardinals will play host to Hamshire-Fannett Friday while Orangefield will travel to face West Orange-Stark

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a typo?  61.5% is not really that great from the freethrow line....

It is better than they had been shooting, plus going to the free throw line 39 times isn't too shabby either

I think they're talking about our shooting in general tonight, not free throws. We shot the ball extremely well tonight, I would think close to 50% from the field. And I don't remember us missing 15 free throws tonight either, but we might have. Lady Cats played well tonight!!!

Guest bleed orange

It is a great start and you have to start somewhere. Getting better, that is the name of the game. If we would have made 61.5 % in the first game the score may have been different.

Guest bleed orange

dang..... did BC have everyone foul out???  That is almost 20 fouls right there....(shooting + 1 and 1's_

That's all they do is foul. No basketball!!!!!!!!

dang..... did BC have everyone foul out???  That is almost 20 fouls right there....(shooting + 1 and 1's_

bleed I do want to say I know several of those girls try their butts off though. They know basketball is not their sport but quite a few of them do all they can each game. That has to count for something.

Guest bleed orange

bleed I do want to say I know several of those girls try their butts off though. They know basketball is not their sport but quite a few of them do all they can each game. That has to count for something.

Yes, I am sure they do but that is "NO" excuse. Basketball is not a priority at BC and it shows. They have the athletes but no dedication when it comes to girls basketball and "NO" support from the community.  I don't feel sorry for them.

HEYH.J. HAWK(MIKE)

I  tell you one thing-you would not have wanted OF tonight.  THEY PLAYED EXTREMELY WELL. I toldCOACH ASHWORTH after the game not to feel bad.  I told him the LAKERS COULDN'T HAVE BEATEN OF TONIGHT.

THE FOUL COUNT IS CORRECT. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN WHAT WE PASSED ON. THIS IS MY LAST GIRL'S GAME OF THE YEAR.  GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE THREE A TEAMS IN THE AREA.

HEYH.J. HAWK(MIKE)

I  tell you one thing-you would not have wanted OF tonight.  THEY PLAYED EXTREMELY WELL. I toldCOACH ASHWORTH after the game not to feel bad.  I told him the LAKERS COULDN'T HAVE BEATEN OF TONIGHT.

THE FOUL COUNT IS CORRECT. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN WHAT WE PASSED ON. THIS IS MY LAST GIRL'S GAME OF THE YEAR.  GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE THREE A TEAMS IN THE AREA.

You don't know me that well then.... I would play Lamar every night if they would agree to it.......  hahaha

HEYH.J. HAWK(MIKE)

OLDREF you and your partner tonight did an outstanding job of keeping things in line.  Our girls games with BC are always physical, but when I walked in the gym and saw that you were calling our game I felt much better.  I hate that this is your last girls game.  As always, you were very professional and did an outstanding job.  Thank You and best of luck to you.

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS.

I WILL TELL YOU A STORY THAT I TELL TO EVERY NEW OFFICIAL DURING TRAINING.  MIKE RYALS AND I DID A CLEVELAND GAME MANY YEARS AGO.  THE GAME WENT INTO DOUBLE OVERTIME.  WHEN IT WAS OVER BOTH COACHES CAME INTO OUR DRESSING AREA AND TOLD US IT WAS THE BEST OFFICIATED GAME THEY HAD EVER HAD.  WE LEFT FEELING PRETTY GOOD ABOUT OUR SELVES.

I GOT A CALL THE FOLLOWING DAY TO HELP A NEW GUY OUT AT A JUNIOR HIGH GAME.  ON THE WAY OUT THE MOTHER OF ONE OF THE PLAYERS TOLD ME ''SIR, I DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DAY JOB IS, BUT YOU HAD BETTER KEEP IT''.

MORAL OF THE STORY TAKE ALL YHE GOOD YOU HEAR AND THE BAD AND  ENJOY IT,BUT JUST DO YOUR JOB

you guys shot 39 free throws??? Home game???

Thanks to the great referees it didn't turn into a "free-for-all" like it tends to do most of the time against Bridge City.  They kept the game under control which isn't an easy thing to do.  I have seen MANY games turn into what looks like a football game because the ref's let things get out of control early and then didn't want to or didn't know how to take control back.  Sorry it was your last girl's game this year OLD REF but you did an outstanding job!!  Wish you could do more girls games, especially the big rival games.

And to respond to the 61.5% Free Throw percent...looks pretty bad huh?  But it IS an improvement.  They need to continue practicing free throws because they could become critical in a close game.  Coach Jost has the girls coming together and playing great team ball, they made several great plays that made the crowd stand up and cheer.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami