Gazing Into LU's New Frontier

A: We can't line up anyone for an exhibition game. It will be a redshirt season for our players and we will try to play three glorified spring games...

This is surprising. South Alabama has quite a few exhibitions lined up for their "exhibition year". Would think Lamar could find someone, whether paying a club team (and there's several in the vicinity -- UT-Arlington and New Orleans) or getting one of those academies (i.e Hargrave Military Academy) or maybe even a JV squad (there are still a few in the area too -- I believe Abilene Christian, for one and the University of Tennessee).

Right now our eight opponents for 2010 are at McNeese, at Southeastern Louisiana, at Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State here, Langston State here, South Alabama here, at North Dakota State and South Dakota State here. We have two more contracts that we're working on and we may have them finalized in time for the signing date.

Incorrect -- SHSU is not playing LU in 2010 per a source I talked to. LU is not listed until 2011. We're booked solid (Baylor, WIU, Gardner-Webb and PV).

Also, I swear that was NORTH DAKOTA and not North Dakota State.

Where's Northern Colorado?

Guest coachacola

Too bad there won't be any exhibition games this fall, I think it would get the area excited about LU football.

LU is definitely playing Oklahoma State in 2013, may play Texas A&M in 2012.

Q: Where is the progress right now on the facilities?

A: We had a recent meeting with Dr. Simmons and the builders. The bond market is easing up and we have to get somebody to purchase the bond. It's our intent right now to install the artificial surface at Provost Umphrey Stadium before the bond. The plan as of now is to have the artificial surface playing field in here for this fall. The bidding for the stadium construction hasn't started. Engineers have to examine the stadium before any construction would begin.

Looks like construction won't start for a while.  We'll probably see the artificial surface put in this spring and hopefully they'll get started on renovations by the summer.

Right now our eight opponents for 2010 are at McNeese, at Southeastern Louisiana, at Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State here, Langston State here, South Alabama here, at North Dakota State and South Dakota State here. We have two more contracts that we're working on and we may have them finalized in time for the signing date.

Incorrect -- SHSU is not playing LU in 2010 per a source I talked to. LU is not listed until 2011. We're booked solid (Baylor, WIU, Gardner-Webb and PV).

Also, I swear that was NORTH DAKOTA and not North Dakota State.

Where's Northern Colorado?

SHSU would rather play Gardner-Webb and PV than playing a conference member.....sad...  Isn't Gardner-Webb one of those non-scholly teams...

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see come year 2010. I'd think the coach would have a little better of an idea, but I could be wrong.

SHSU would rather play Gardner-Webb and PV than playing a conference member.....sad...  Isn't Gardner-Webb one of those non-scholly teams...

G-W and PV are home-and-home agreements signed before Lamar finalized football and the timeframe for football. Do not believe Woodard was even hired when one, if not both of the agreements were signed. While Billy Tubbs calls many shots, I do not think he was already putting together a football schedule w/o a head coach.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see come year 2010. I'd think the coach would have a little better of an idea, but I could be wrong.

Woodard has changed his story before, just reading the article on scheduling. A few teams he announced before are no longer there.

A few have different names (i.e North Dakota is now North Dakota State), though that may be chalked up to the Port Arthur News, which does not have the best FCS columnist in the land on their paper (see Gary Laney of the Beaumont Enterprise).

Of course, Woodard made some statements earlier that had people excited which did not turn out so true (i.e playing an FBS team in year one -- HA! Why would an FBS play a team that does nothing as far as counting as a bowl counter?).

Guest coachacola

I would guess Coach Woodard has been trying to keep folks updated on who Lamar was trying to play even before contracts had been signed.  I personally don't care if some of the teams he previously said were playing Lamar were not.

At this point I'm more interested in the facilities.  The economy has really thrown a monkey wrench into things so I'm curious what the new timeline is and what will eventually get built.  I'm hoping they get started on the athletic complex as soon as possible because that will help all the athletic programs, not just football.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83