Tyler Chapter of Baseball Officials Vote to not work U.I.L. member games...

From smoaky

Tyler Chapter of Baseball Officials Vote to not work U.I.L. member games...

KTBB Sports confirmed tonight a vote by the Tyler Chapter of Baseball Officials to not work any baseball games of U.I.L. member schools until a statewide pay issue is settled with the University Interscholastic League.

One source told David Smoak, "we have a group of eight people attending a meeting in Houston on Saturday, and we will make very clear our concerns with the UIL pay structure for 2009."

The source also added, "The Tyler Chapter isn't the only Chapter upset, just read the ongoing thread on your own website, Smoaky.com." (Link to thread listed at bottom)

They added, "we've been told by the U.I.L games will be played whether we're involved, or not."

Mark Cousins, the U.I.L. Director of Baseball will be in attendance at the meeting on Saturday in Houston, and email contact tonight has not been returned.

The U.I.L. put a new pay-rate into affect for the 2009 season, $45 per game, plus gate and .58 1/2/cents per mile for travel, compared to the $75 flat rate in 2008.

Some high school baseball officials and umpires have told Smoak recently, "the problem with using gate is most high school programs don't charge to watch their games."

KTBB Sports has learned other Chapters are discussing their plans this week, and waiting for news from the meeting in Houston this weekend.

The source also told KTBB Sports, "If a change in the pay-scale changes this weekend, we'll be happy to be involved in U.I.L. events this season."

We will try and get a response from the Mark Cousins and the U.I.L. on Thursday.

Smoaky.com UIL/Baseball Umpires Pay Dispute .

U.I.L. Baseball Umpire Pay .

what is our local beaumont chapter's stand on this issue?  Wont be good if coaches have to call their own games

Here is where most of you do not understand the process. As a chapter, we cannot take a stand or say we will not send umpires to a school. It is up to each individual umpire to decide if he or she wants to umpire for the fees the state has set. As president of the local chapter i will present this to our membership Wednesday night and each guy can then decide if he wants to umpire or go hangup his mask and quit. The Beaumont chapter will cover as many games as we can per the amount of officials we have when the season starts. There may be JV games with no officials but we will do everything we can to cover all varsity games. This is why i have been trying to get some new guys to come join our chapter and learn to umpire because we do not have enough to cover all the games. This has nothing to do with pay it has to do with the fact more folks want to gripe about officials in any sport instead of trying to maybe become an official in whatever sport they like and do something about the quality of officiating. We meet at the American Legion Hall on Park St. in Downtown Beaumont every Wednesday Night through April at 7 pm with training at 6 for 1st and 2nd year umpires.

Back Who ????   I wish this thread had not been started.

What is their issue with the pay?

If they got into this thinking, Man, I am gonna get rich, then they got into it for the wrong reason.

I do not see how one could lose money.  We get $40.00 JV  and $45.00 varsity and for travel 58.5

cents per mile.

If you are losing money, must be eating steak and lobster after every game.

This is not directed at you MrUmp1. 

Just curious as to what the pay problem is.

We are paid less to do a High School game than most summer leagues are willing to pay. Most states have pay scales more than us. Now look at this list and these prices are average prices. You do not need to buy these things every year of course, but they do wear out and need to be replaced.

Shirts 30.00 ea  min of 2 ---- ---60.00 most have at least 6                    180.00

Under shirts 15.00 min of 2---    30.00 most have at least 6                      90.00

Pants  50.00  min of 2 ---------100.00 most have at least 4                    200.00

Jacket 65.00 -------------------65.00  many of us have Blue and Black so 130.00

Hats 16.00 min of 1-------------16.00  many have 4                                64.00

Ball Bags  min of 1 --------------12.00  many have 2 blue 2 black              48.00

Belts  min of 1 ------------------20.00  need a backup have 2                  40.00

Ball and Strike Indicator ---------5.00 most have many lets say 4              20.00

Plate Brush ---------------------4.00

Mask --------------------------80.00

Shin Guards ------------------- 70.00

Chest Protector ---------------160.00 if you want to be protected well

Plate Shoes -------------------125.00

Base Shoes --------------------60.00

Socks min of 3 pair -------------20.00

Cup ----------------------------6.00

Jock ---------------------------15.00

or

Compression Shorts ------------25.00

Total 873.00  average minimum or could be as much as 1200 to 1500 dollars.

No other sport even comes close to the money it takes to Umpire Baseball. So you say you can't lose money. You could possibly in your first few years. But even if you didn't lose money there is much overhead. I am already 130.00 in the hole this year for what I have bought. That isn't much for this year. Last year I spent around 300.00 upgrading some worn out items. If I do 30 games this year at 45.00 per game thats 1350.00. I have spent 130.00 lets take that off. Thats 1220.00 divided by 30 is 40.66. Now we do scrimmages for no money, we have training and meetings every Wednesday here in Beaumont. Thats time and money. I know this was not directed at me, but I want everyone who reads this to understand we must do this for some other reason than money because there is not that much to make. It is time we get a fair pay for the amount of time and money we spend to be there so it is worth our while and maybe we could keep more members who have just decceided they are not going to take the verbal abuse and under appreciation they get.

We are paid less to do a High School game than most summer leagues are willing to pay. Most states have pay scales more than us. Now look at this list and these prices are average prices. You do not need to buy these things every year of course, but they do wear out and need to be replaced.

Shirts 30.00 ea  min of 2 ---- ---60.00 most have at least 6                    180.00

Under shirts 15.00 min of 2---    30.00 most have at least 6                       90.00

Pants  50.00  min of 2 ---------100.00 most have at least 4                    200.00

Hats 16.00 min of 1-------------16.00  many have 4                                 64.00

Ball Bags  min of 1 --------------12.00  many have 2 blue 2 black               48.00

Belts  min of 1 ------------------20.00  need a backup have 2                   40.00

Ball and Strike Indicator ---------5.00 most have many lets say 4               20.00

or

No other sport even comes close to the money it takes to Umpire Baseball. So you say you can't lose money. You could possibly in your first few years. But even if you didn't lose money there is much overhead. I am already 130.00 in the hole this year for what I have bought. That isn't much for this year. Last year I spent around 300.00 upgrading some worn out items. If I do 30 games this year at 45.00 per game thats 1350.00. I have spent 130.00 lets take that off. Thats 1220.00 divided by 30 is 40.66. Now we do scrimmages for no money, we have training and meetings every Wednesday here in Beaumont. Thats time and money. I know this was not directed at me, but I want everyone who reads this to understand we must do this for some other reason than money because there is not that much to make. It is time we get a fair pay for the amount of time and money we spend to be there so it is worth our while and maybe we could keep more members who have just decceided they are not going to take the verbal abuse and under appreciation they get.

Under shirts 15.00 min of 2---    30.00 most have at least 6                       90.00

Hats 16.00 min of 1-------------16.00  many have 4                                 64.00

Ball Bags  min of 1 --------------12.00  many have 2 blue 2 black               48.00

Belts  min of 1 ------------------20.00  need a backup have 2                   40.00

Ball and Strike Indicator ---------5.00 most have many lets say 4               20.00

or

Ump, you left out our local and state dues we pay every year. I drive over 800 miles each season just attending our weekly meetings.

High School Umpires going on strike??

What is the word in your area?

UIL to TASO, "Accept the pay-scale as it is, work or don't work."

Multiple baseball officials and umpires in Houston on Saturday, confirmed the U.I.L. spoke to the statewide TASO Chapters, and confirmed they would not negotiate a new pay-scale for the 2009 season.

One member of the TASO Baseball Officials and Umpires told KTBB Sports, "They admitted it was a bad rule, but it was accept the rules as they are, either work, or don't work."

The Tyler Chapter of Baseball Officials and Umpires remain committed to not working U.I.L. member schools this season, and they presented a two-option proposal to the U.I.L., and although the option was well received by the TASO membership, the U.I.L. would not discuss it, accept it, and nothing has changed.

Another TASO member at the meeting in Houston told KTBB Sports, "They wouldn't even take membership questions, they walked away without discussion."

The Tyler Chapter also asked the state membership to unify in an effort to act as an organization and not as individual Chapters. That comment brought a standing ovation, but not all Chapters have voted to strike against the U.I.L..

OK lets get this straight. We are going to work the games in this area so lets quit all the sensationalism and trying to get people in a panic. I nor anyone else from our local chapter has come on this board and whined and complained in public about our pay or any other conditions we may have an issue with. Tyler Chapter wants to make their cause a battlecry and air it out in public. The Beaumont Chapter stance is we will deal with it with our members only and in our meetings only. If you want to be a part of it I have plenty of openings left for this year. This discussion needs to stop NOW !!!!!!!

Dennis J. Sedtal

TASO Beaumont Chapter President

Baseball Division

OK lets get this straight. We are going to work the games in this area so lets quit all the sensationalism and trying to get people in a panic. I nor anyone else from our local chapter has come on this board and whined and complained in public about our pay or any other conditions we may have an issue with. Tyler Chapter wants to make their cause a battlecry and air it out in public. The Beaumont Chapter stance is we will deal with it with our members only and in our meetings only. If you want to be a part of it I have plenty of openings left for this year. This discussion needs to stop NOW !!!!!!!

Dennis J. Sedtal

TASO Beaumont Chapter President

Baseball Division

Mr. Ump,

I agree we should stop the sensationalism, but I disagree that the discussion of umpires and treatment towards them should end here.  I am not a high school umpire.  My only umpire experience is little league.  But I have been amazed and to a degre, frustrated with the way some coaches and parents treat umpires.  The way parents berate umpires/referees from the stands, to me is apalling.  Even at JV and freshman/sophomore games.  For some reason, coaches and parents think that because you accept a pay check, that gives them the right to be verbally abuse the official.

Perhaps this is a topic for a different thread, but remember folks, at $40 or $50 per game, these officilas are not getting rich here.  They do it for the love of the game.  If they have to constantly be berated by you, the love of the game begins to fade fast.  Then who would call the balls and strikes..you?  In our Little League, we have all coaches umpire at least 4 games a year.  It gives them a different perspective on how dificult it is to umpire.  As a result, we have no problems with verbal abuse.  Maybe the people in Tyler will learn how valuable the men in blue are!

Thanks for the support.. All I was trying to do is say that this forum is not the place to discuss our issues. this is a matter between chapters, their district represenitives, and TASO state board to work out. If I have a problem with a school over some issue, last thing I am going to do is put my dirty laundry out for anyone to see. I do not want any of our local coaches reading this and going into panic mode when there is no cause. It's not your phone that is going to ring off the wall but mine will. Also sometimes the media gets there info second hand and they do not know what has been worked out. By the time they want to report something, the problem may already been taken care of. This one has hit a nerve because I really do know the facts and you are not getting the whole picture from what is being reported on another forum.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder