21-3A (09-10)

I think more and more kids at Orangefield are showing interest for a sport that they didn't know much about.......throw that in with some athleticism, training, knowledge of the game and of course some great coaching and i think they are going to surprise alot of people......should be a very fun and exciting year indeed...... ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silsbee should have dominated from the time the joined the 3A ranks because of top end enrollment levels--it just did not happen!

OF is really a great little athletic school; lower enrollment and yet they are always competitive.

BC is not much larger than OF but will be better than Silsbee in Softball, Volleyball and other sports this coming year.  H-F will also be strong in Softball and may be the sleeper in Volleyball.

OF has made great strides in getting good volleyball coaches in there. Does anyone else find it interesting that every year people say HF is the possible sleeper and every year they make the playoffs. Eventually they should get respect right? If this was 4A and there were 4 spots...this wouldn't be so exciting!!!

Guest bleed orange

What about Hardin-Jefferson?  Do they not have much of a chance?

I think so. They are getting better each year. Like I said, A very balanced district. Your day is coming "Aggie" :P and I am talking about the boys side. You cannot argue the girls side.  ;)

I've seen very little improvement from HJ over the past years. I thought with their two new coaches they got a couple years back that they would get better, but they really weren't even very competitive last year. Perhaps they were young and are going to come around this year. However, I do believe they are good enough to beat you if you aren't ready to play. If the basketball players are allowed to play volleyball now...there's where they could really improve and become a very good team.

• 2 weeks later...

If you know anything about volleyball then you would know that it takes a while for coaches to establish their style and coaching into a program.  It takes time to build a program.  All the programs that are praised are the ones that have been established for years and years and years.  H-F, BC, Silsbee---have had great coaches and programs for a long time. O-F started doing well a few years ago and from what the rumor is, has a group of freshmen that are going to continue that work. It is always nice to see that SOutheast texas can produce good volleyball teams.

HJ has had a revolving door of coaching staffs in the past 10 years--All with different ways and ideas about how to coach the game. SOme of those coaches not knowing the first thing about the game.  There have only been maybe 3 or 4 players in the program to be involved with the junior programs available. Unlike the other schools in the district--- And to tell you the truth...the junior programs in our area are lightyears behind the club teams in other cities.  None the less.....the coaches at HJ are working as hard as a coach can to help those young players see some success in their volleyball program.  To hear someone say....that they haven't seen any improvement in the program is sure a kick in the face to the young ladies in the program.  Not to mention that the program has racked up more wins in the past two years then they have in 10 years. 

What will happen?  Who knows. Am I a parent of a HJ player---YES I AM>.... And I am very proud of how far these girls have come.  We may not of won as many matches as HF, BC, OF, or silsbee,......but I did watch us give those teams a harder fight than usual.  They fight.....more than any of you guys know...those girls fight.  They fight for pride, they fight for integrity and they fight for respect.  Respect so they are not viewed as the easy team to beat. 

If you know anything about volleyball then you would know that it takes a while for coaches to establish their style and coaching into a program.  It takes time to build a program.  All the programs that are praised are the ones that have been established for years and years and years.  H-F, BC, Silsbee---have had great coaches and programs for a long time. O-F started doing well a few years ago and from what the rumor is, has a group of freshmen that are going to continue that work. It is always nice to see that SOutheast texas can produce good volleyball teams.

HJ has had a revolving door of coaching staffs in the past 10 years--All with different ways and ideas about how to coach the game. SOme of those coaches not knowing the first thing about the game.  There have only been maybe 3 or 4 players in the program to be involved with the junior programs available. Unlike the other schools in the district--- And to tell you the truth...the junior programs in our area are lightyears behind the club teams in other cities.  None the less.....the coaches at HJ are working as hard as a coach can to help those young players see some success in their volleyball program.  To hear someone say....that they haven't seen any improvement in the program is sure a kick in the face to the young ladies in the program.  Not to mention that the program has racked up more wins in the past two years then they have in 10 years. 

What will happen?  Who knows. Am I a parent of a HJ player---YES I AM>.... And I am very proud of how far these girls have come.  We may not of won as many matches as HF, BC, OF, or silsbee,......but I did watch us give those teams a harder fight than usual.  They fight.....more than any of you guys know...those girls fight.  They fight for pride, they fight for integrity and they fight for respect.  Respect so they are not viewed as the easy team to beat. 

Really...BC went through 4 coaches in 4 years. Becca Matthews almost took them to state her 2nd year.

This is the first volleyball coach OF has had that really knows the game...it's true if you want to believe it or not...all others weree basketball first.

HF doesn't even have club. Girls travel if they want to play and Orange club isn't all that spectacular either.

Can u give me #'s about their wins to prover your statement b/c HJ was 2-6 in district last year and I believe 4-10 the previous year.

I'm glad you back your girls and coaches the way you do...parents should and if the varsity teams have been young then this year should be a decent year. We shall see

• 2 months later...
One comment for the future---The SHORT GIRLS from BC will just lose one Senior this year.  They have a now Freshman that will move in that is TALL and agile for her age.  With Becca and Beth coaching--Hannah-- will also be drilling folks with top-end type spikes as a Sophomore; adding another offensive dimension to the Cardinal team.

OF will be tough next year also with a number returning and a strong JV to augment their attack!

[quote name="bcsportsdad" post="688916" timestamp="1256770466"]
I agree we are short but they already have a tall girl with power ,but she seldom gets set and does not play that much.When she is set she has led team in kills,go figure.Our other good hitter when she gets set its usually a foot or so below the net.
[/quote]
WOW

[quote name="bcsportsdad" post="688916" timestamp="1256770466"]
I agree we are short but they already have a tall girl with power ,but she seldom gets set and does not play that much.When she is set she has led team in kills,go figure.Our other good hitter when she gets set its usually a foot or so below the net.
[/quote] Not so sure someone that hits the ball a foot or so below the net deserves to be called a "GOOD HITTER" maybe you could say with a little work BC will have another consistant hitter.

Talking about a position player is basically to me the same as saying their name. Please refrain from this or I will continue to take posts down.
BC, as well as all playoff teams, should be praising their own teams and teammates instead of trashing them.

[quote name="Gabe" post="690040" timestamp="1256870821"]
Talking about a position player is basically to me the same as saying their name. Please refrain from this or I will continue to take posts down.
BC, as well as all playoff teams, should be praising their own teams and teammates instead of trashing them.

[/quote]

Sorry if anything I have said has come across negative about any hitter. BC has very good hitters with all of them returning next year. I'm just tired of Pitcherdad going talking bad about Kosh. She's a very good setter. Sounds like a jealous parent and it's starting to make me kind of mad to be honest.