Stipulation Could Hurt PN-G Coaching Candidates/Comments From Coach Long!

KFDM COOP

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that everyone on here would agree that the main reason Burnett was reassigned is because of his recent lack of success, when the expectations for him to do well were high.  They were supposed to do well, but the coach failed them and therefore a decision was made to go in a different direction to get someone in there that could bring this team back to a winning program.  I'm no genius here, but how in the world is a master's degree going to do that.  Would the expectations for this next guy to win not be as high, as long as he does a good job in his other possible roles (AD)?  No, that community still expects to win, and they will want his head if they don't.  Just saying, if you are going to reassign someone for not being a good coach, then replace him with the best coaching candidate available, not the best AD available.

I am going to explain this real slow. So everyone that does not understand pay close attention.

From everything I have been told.........

If PN-G's intent is to hire a head coach / Athletic Director, a masters is required. AD is an administrator position. This has nothing to do with coaching. This is about wanting to fill both positions with the same person. Is it really that hard to get? If I am wrong on this requirement I will gladly eat crow, but this is what I have been told.

I am going to explain this real slow. So everyone that does not understand pay close attention.

If PN-G's intent is to hire a head coach / Athletic Director, a masters is required. AD is an administrator position. This has nothing to do with coaching. This is about wanting to fill both positions with the same person. Is it really that hard to get? If I am wrong on this requirement I will gladly eat crow, but this is what I have been told.

It may be  a requirement by PNG but it is not a requirement from the state.  I'll say it slow.... The State of Texas does not require a person to posess a masters degree to be an ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.  A District can however make that requirement but it is district choice.  This is not "what I've been told" this is fact. 

So yes, (LOL) if you were thinking that it is required across the state to have a masters degree in order to be an AD, then start cooking up your crow because you were wrong. 

It may be  a requirement by PNG but it is not a requirement from the state.  I'll say it slow.... The State of Texas does not require a person to posess a masters degree to be an ATHLETIC DIRECTOR.  A District can however make that requirement but it is district choice.  This is not "what I've been told" this is fact. 

So yes, (LOL) if you were thinking that it is required across the state to have a masters degree in order to be an AD, then start cooking up your crow because you were wrong. 

Thank you for correcting me. That still does not change the fact that this is by no means an attempt to try and put PN-G on a pedestal by having a coach with a master's.

Thank you for correcting me. That still does not change the fact that this is by no means an attempt to try and put PN-G on a pedestal by having a coach with a master's.

I don't think taht it is either. Just their choice to do so, and their right as well.  They can always back off that requirement. 

Why don't you guys want Long? Jesus ::)

Oh,  I think Long is O.K.,  But I'm looking at what he accomplished at PNG after Dustin was gone, and what he's accomplished at Kelly.  So far, I'm just not that impressed.  I just believe there are better coaches out there looking for a new home.  However,  if he does come to PNG, I'll back him 100%.

Well if you think he can only be successful with his son...Then have it in his contract that he can adopt an freshman boy every other year...PICK of the litter if you will...Then he can groom the little guys day and night. I'm sure the PNG faithful will go for that. Anything to WIN!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Well if you think he can only be successful with his son...Then have it in his contract that he can adopt an freshman boy every other year...PICK of the litter if you will...Then he can groom the little guys day and night. I'm sure the PNG faithful will go for that. Anything to WIN!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I like the way you think Ceauxch!  Thinking outside the box (or Teepee in this case).  I'd go along with that!

Thank you.

It has been my observation in my 13 years of coaching that older men (That's us) think these kids eat and sleep football. Because at our age there is just not much else to do besides that and work. BUT these kids are KIDS!!! and they have other things on there mind besides football...if you know what I mean. ;D ;D ;D ;D         

I said all of that to say this...Having your son be with you morning and night on the field and off makes him see things that you just can't make a regular JOE see with the few hours you have him at school. That is why he was so successful with Dustin. I believe that LONG will be the next HC or maybe even AD at PNG. No matter what anyone says. I could be wrong. I also believe that he will be average his first year. 5-5 if you will. But give him time to install his offense and groom young QB's and these kids will by into it whole heartedly. I also believe the staff, for the most part, will accept him right back in and PNG can move on from this HORRIBLE time in its history. heck BUCK may even write another book about it!!!! ;)

Don't get me wrong  about Long.  I have no probs with him.  I just said that I wasn't "impressed" with him at Kelly.  When he was at PNG, during the succdess yrs., what I really liked about him was the fact that you never knew what he was going to call next.  UNPREDICATBLE.  He may still be like that, I don't know.  I just don't want our school board to get target fixation and focus only on him (or anyone for that matter).  Long may very well be the best available option, and if so, I'm behind him all the way.

You're also right about the "old" part. 

That's what it sounds like to me...

School districts are well known for having a person in place for a particular position well before the job is actually posted to the public.  They tend to make thier requirements meet the candidate rather than the other way around.

Funny if it blows up on them and their "secret candidate" falls through..I wonder if they lower the standards then and hire a non-master's  coach??

Yes, school districts do that all the time.  They have to post the job for at least 10 days before they interview.  They have to have minimum requirements to post.  Many times they already have someone in mind.

Hasn't PN-G been running Long's offense since he left?

Thank you.

It has been my observation in my 13 years of coaching that older men (That's us) think these kids eat and sleep football. Because at our age there is just not much else to do besides that and work. BUT these kids are KIDS!!! and they have other things on there mind besides football...if you know what I mean. ;D ;D ;D ;D         

I said all of that to say this...Having your son be with you morning and night on the field and off makes him see things that you just can't make a regular JOE see with the few hours you have him at school. That is why he was so successful with Dustin. I believe that LONG will be the next HC or maybe even AD at PNG. No matter what anyone says. I could be wrong. I also believe that he will be average his first year. 5-5 if you will. But give him time to install his offense and groom young QB's and these kids will by into it whole heartedly. I also believe the staff, for the most part, will accept him right back in and PNG can move on from this HORRIBLE time in its history. heck BUCK may even write another book about it!!!! ;)

I wonder if Mack Brown, Mike Leach, Bob Stoops, Gary Kubiak or Wade Phillips have their Masters ?

I really have no idea. If they do not, then I assume they are not qualified to coach at PNG HS ?

Mike Long is a good man and a great coach. What some you have to realize is: At Kelly, EVERY game is against a larger school. He still has a winning record. He does as much with what he has any coach.

Look, there are better coaches and worst coaches than Long.  My only contention is that the school board not go into this with a preconceived notion.  Have an open mind, warmly receive all applications and if Long emerges as the best one, then great.  Then all will be happy that the system works.

I wonder if Mack Brown, Mike Leach, Bob Stoops, Gary Kubiak or Wade Phillips have their Masters ?

I really have no idea. If they do not, then I assume they are not qualified to coach at PNG HS ?

Mike Long is a good man and a great coach. What some you have to realize is: At Kelly, EVERY game is against a larger school. He still has a winning record. He does as much with what he has any coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder