Stipulation Could Hurt PN-G Coaching Candidates/Comments From Coach Long!

KFDM COOP

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly coach Mike Long, a PN-G assistant under Matt Burnett from 1996 to 2004, said he is interested in the job but cannot apply because he does not have a master's degree.

"That kicks me out," said Long, at Kelly since 2005. "That, of course, knocks a lot of people out. I know most of the people I know that are coaches don't have (a master's degree), but I am sure there are a whole bunch that do."

The PN-G ISD board is scheduled to form an interviewing committee today, and the committee will receive training Jan. 7, according to a timeline provided by PN-G.

Having a master's degree is not required by state law, but it can be deemed necessary by a school board, said PN-G ISD Superintendent Lani Randall.

The board decided at a recent meeting that a master's degree was necessary for the position, Randall said.

So far, the PN-G ISD has not received any applications, Randall said.

"I think after all these playoff games are over, which some of them they've ended, people will have more time to think about it," Randall said. "That way it gives them a chance to see if they are applying or not."

PN-G ISD board members Harvey R. Brown, James E. Green and Carol Broussard did not return phone messages Tuesday.

Board member Gary Stretcher deferred questions to Rusty Brittain, who did not return phone messages at home or work.

Long said that choice would hinder the number of applicants PN-G could get for the position.

"Because when you have a stipulation of a master's degree, that hurts," he said. "They want to get the best guy. That is what any school wants to do but with that one stipulation it could hurt them."

Former coach and athletic director Matt Burnett went 96-65 during 15-year tenure at the school before being reassigned in November.

Central coach Donald Stowers and West Brook coach Craig Stump, both of whom have master's degree, told The Enterprise they are not interested in the job.

According to a timetable provided by PN-G ISD, the application deadline is Jan. 9 and applications will be reviewed Jan. 12.

The first round of interviews will run from Jan. 19 to Jan. 23. The second round of interviews will be Jan. 30 to Feb. 3.

A candidate will be recommended to the board Feb. 10. The new coach/athletic director's first day on the job will be March 2, according to the schedule.

Randall said the board picked March 2 as a start date to allow a new coach to conduct spring practices.

"You know there is a great deal of interest and great deal of excitement," Randall said. "The (fans) that I've talked to say they want this person to be a very student-focused motivator. Someone who is a good role model that students can look up to and can bring out the best players in carrying on the tradition."

Guest Brubaker

I think there's some OVERAMBIVALENCE in the PNG community over who they think will be interested in that job... it AIN'T what it used to be.  They'll have to get lucky with a young hustler in my opinion, they're not going to get a bonafide winner, the job isn't that appealing.

Ok, PNG and LCM.

Below were the applicants for the LaMarque job last year. I would venture those applicants would not have considerd a high profile job like LaMarque without the confidence of actually receiving it. Also check the date they released this.

La Marque releases names of AD applicants

From staff reports

The Daily News

Published March 16, 2008

LA MARQUE — Nederland head coach Larry Neumann and former Santa Fe head coach Joe Krauskopf are among 34 applicants for the vacant athletic director and head football coach job at La Marque High School, according to a list sent by La Marque ISD on Saturday.

Neumann has been the head coach at a pretty stout Nederland program for 15 years.

Krauskopf, currently an assistant at Ball High, compiled a 38-53-2 record in his eight seasons as the Indians’ head coach. He led Santa Fe to its first two playoff appearances, in 2002 and 2005.

Bill Barron (Elsik), Lionell Crawford (Smiley), Mike Jackson (Chavez), Gary Mullins (Grapevine) and David Suggs (Nimitz) — all head football coaches at their respective schools — also applied.

Former La Marque football assistant coaches Phillip Mattingly (Port Arthur Memorial) and Carnell White (Nimitz) have tossed their names into the hat as well.

Former O’Connell head football coach Dimitri Gazelas also has applied for the job, along with Dickinson assistant Earl Ricicar, Ball High assistant Kenneth Foster and La Marque assistants Elliott Johnson and Earnest Lynch.

Former La Marque players Jonathan Cooper, a Ball High assistant, and Ryan Silvertooth, an assistant at Pearland Dawson, also have applied for the job.

La Marque is searching for a new athletic director and head football coach after Chris Jones resigned from those positions Feb. 15. He was hired by the school district on March 8, 2007, after an extensive search.

The Daily News filed a request Wednesday for the names of the applicants for the current vacancy, as well as the names of those on the hiring committee for the search.

+++

List Of Applicants For AD/head Coach Vacancy At LMHS

Name, School

Bill Barron, Elsik Claude L. Bassett, San Benito Jeffery Ceasar, Madison Jonathan Cooper, Ball High Lionell Crawford, Smiley Dwayne Dever, L.G. Pinkston Robert Ford, Texas (AAFL) Kenneth R. Foster, Ball High Dimitri Gazelas, Atascocita Chad Haynes, Bay. Sterling Daryl R. Hobbs, Mt. Carmel Mike Jackson, Chavez Elliott M. Johnson, La Marque Damian V. Judge, La Porte Richard Kattner, Pflugerville Connally Robin Kirk, St. Pius X Joe Krauskopf, Ball High John Launius, Trinity Valley CC Earnest Lynch, La Marque Jose Martinez, Brook. Royal Phillip Mattingly, Port Arthur Memorial Gary Mullins, Grapevine Bernie Mulvaney, Alief Taylor Larry Neumann, Nederland Levelle Norris, San Antonio Jay Robert D. Owens, Mansfield Timberview Danny Ramsey, Cy Creek Earl Recicar, Dickinson Aric Sardinea, Rowlett Ryan Silvertooth, Pearland Jason P. Strunk Muhlenberg (Pa.) College David Suggs, Nimitz Robert Toomer, Abbeville (La.) Carnell White, Nimitz

Guest rykerx144

PNG needs to come back down to earth, You have a great program but come on?  You are eliminating alot of good coaches by your excessive qualifications.  If there is a coach out there that has established himself to the degree you are expecting, and has the experience you are expecting, has the education your are expecting, then I am sure he will be on the list of schools you can not compete with.  Forget about finding a coach with the degrees and titles that would make your program look good and find you a "football coach" that can coach football, get along with the kids, and make these kids want to go out and perform and you will win games and that will make your program look good.  Get rid of the Ivy league mentality and remember your a south east texas football program and not Notre Dame

Guest baseball25

Like i said earlier at 4a and 5a they always say you have to have a masters its a bunch of bs. If they want mike long they will hire. If they want alvin credeur they will hire him. The masters stipulation doesnt matter. The thing is png prob already knows who they want to hire and thats the sad thing.

PNG needs to come back down to earth, You have a great program but come on?  You are eliminating alot of good coaches by your excessive qualifications.  If there is a coach out there that has established himself to the degree you are expecting, and has the experience you are expecting, has the education your are expecting, then I am sure he will be on the list of schools you can not compete with.  Forget about finding a coach with the degrees and titles that would make your program look good and find you a "football coach" that can coach football, get along with the kids, and make these kids want to go out and perform and you will win games and that will make your program look good.  Get rid of the Ivy league mentality and remember your a south east texas football program and not Notre Dame

this is probably the most educated quote I have seen this year!!!  Total agree!!  Find a coach that will get you wins!!!

I agree that they already know who they want to hire, and apparently he has a master's degree.  I think that they are just using this requirement to weed out certain candidates, whom they know is either better for the job or a fan favorite.  It is like they have already promised the job to someone, and need a justifiable reason to give it to him over the others.  I have seen this hiring and promoting practice throughout my job for years, where they design the requirements to be the perfect match for the person they want.  It is sad but true.

Guest baseball25

Thank you very much. Its a sad thing when they already know who they want and has a masters so now they are requring a masters. I just dont get png they think there a big time hs program and there just a medicore one.

I think there is more to the situation than most of you uneducated folks know. I highly doubt, matter of fact I know, this has nothing to do with PN-G thinking they have a top notch program so they need someone with a Master's. Some of the ignorant statement's on here are out of hatred / jealousy of the PN-G program and are made with no basis at all. Did anyone stop and think it is possible the current AD will be retiring soon and they need someone who is qualified to hold the head coach position as well as the AD position? I guess that would make too much sense. Maybe the current AD is looking to move to a different position? Do any of you fools really know? I guess this really is all about the PN-G board thinking we are the best thing since sliced bread and are better than everyone else. Give me a break.

Guest rykerx144

Most new 4A and 5A HC that want to be AD's have a Masters. If they don't...well then support our local college (LU) and go get one!!!!!

I'm a firm believer that all it takes to get a degree is....TIME AND MONEY!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

so your saying that spending an extra $25,000 and spending an extra few years taking college courses that most likely have nothing to do with coaching will make them a better coach and a better candidate?  I disagree, I think that it will help develop a young coach who is just getting into coaching but that is not what PNG is looking for I hope??  So according to your logic coaches like Hooks and Barbay would be better coaches if they had a Masters Degree??  WHATEVER!!!!!  PNG needs a experienced coach not a college professor!!!  Good Luck Indians,  enjoy the new stadium maybe itll be enough to sell tickets!!!

Guest rykerx144

I think there is more to the situation than most of you uneducated folks know. I highly doubt, matter of fact I know, this has nothing to do with PN-G thinking they have a top notch program so they need someone with a Master's. Some of the ignorant statement's on here are out of hatred / jealousy of the PN-G program and are made with no basis at all. Did anyone stop and think it is possible the current AD will be retiring soon and they need someone who is qualified to hold the head coach position as well as the AD position? I guess that would make too much sense. Maybe the current AD is looking to move to a different position? Do any of you fools really know? I guess this really is all about the PN-G board thinking we are the best thing since sliced bread and are better than everyone else. Give me a break.

I got news for you It has nothing to do with Jealousy or greed,  I just moved to this God for saken district and I was hoping for a descent football team that my kids could cheer for!!  I'm sorry all of us uneducated people have opinions too.  I apologize for my statements I was under the impression that PNG was hiring a Head Football Coach and not the AD.  Give me a break you idiot, if PNG school board is willing to hire a person that might not be quite what they need as a coach but would make a great AD later then fine, but don't complain when you don't win games or get the kids support.  Sounds to me they hiring a Head Coach that would be best for the district not the football program.

Opinions are like  ;)everybody has one.

I’m sure everybody is looking out for the best interest of our school when these comments are made.

One thing is sure, the criteria will put into place someone that wants the job for long term that has the capacity to do more than just coach, therefore create a commitment to turn around the entire athletic program.

A good AD will have the ability to evaluate the current coaching staffs to retain those that are assets and bring in those that are needed.

I’m sure all on here want that ::)

We are not hiring for a season folks!

Will see how this unfolds.

I got news for you It has nothing to do with Jealousy or greed,  I just moved to this God for saken district and I was hoping for a descent football team that my kids could cheer for!!  I'm sorry all of us uneducated people have opinions too.  I apologize for my statements I was under the impression that PNG was hiring a Head Football Coach and not the AD.  Give me a break you idiot, if PNG school board is willing to hire a person that might not be quite what they need as a coach but would make a great AD later then fine, but don't complain when you don't win games or get the kids support.  Sounds to me they hiring a Head Coach that would be best for the district not the football program.

"I think there's some OVERAMBIVALENCE in the PNG community over who they think will be interested in that job... it AIN'T what it used to be."

"Does this really suprise you that PNG would do this."

"I just dont get png they think there a big time hs program and there just a medicore one."

These are the type of statements I am talking about. There is no substance to these statements. It is simply people with no knowledge of the situation pulling crap out their a$$. To come on here and make statements that PN-G put the master's requirement in the posting because we wanted to look good, or think we are better then everyone else is stupid. If you don't like this god for saken district, pack your $hit and leave. There is housing outside of it. It doesn't take an idiot to figure that out.

I agree that they already know who they want to hire, and apparently he has a master's degree.  I think that they are just using this requirement to weed out certain candidates, whom they know is either better for the job or a fan favorite.  It is like they have already promised the job to someone, and need a justifiable reason to give it to him over the others.  I have seen this hiring and promoting practice throughout my job for years, where they design the requirements to be the perfect match for the person they want.  It is sad but true.

That's what it sounds like to me...

School districts are well known for having a person in place for a particular position well before the job is actually posted to the public.  They tend to make thier requirements meet the candidate rather than the other way around.

Funny if it blows up on them and their "secret candidate" falls through..I wonder if they lower the standards then and hire a non-master's  coach??

i having a hard time understanding the issue with the masters requirement.the board has said it would reconsider if the applicant pool wasnt satisfactory.we arent just hiring a football coach.were hiring someone to oversee all sports at png.our kids deserve the the best person for the job.remember, its about the kids!if the current specs dont work out then we repost and go that route.all these conspiracry theories are fun but i feel the district is feeling the pressure to get this right.if the super and board botch this its gonna be ugly for them.lets give it a chance and quit complaining about what might happen.funny thing is there were only 12-15 people that showed up at the last school board meeting and 1 spoke.i was there and i let the board members know what i expected as a tax payer.make your voice heard other than this website.

Jay Stone (Head Baseball Coach) can be the AD. He has his Masters.

That would be great. Personally I could care less if the coach has a master's. ryker, don't take anything personal. I am just frustrated with the whole situation.

That's the most intelligent post I've seen in awhile. He would be great for PNG.    

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder