Dayton VS Elgin Predictions?

cutt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I see it.Three years now most every team has had many chances to dbl.up and stop A.J.And very few times they catch him in the open field.Elgin has only seen tapes.This factor alone is probably gonna put Elgin in shock.Dayton brings the norm.Bad night for Elgin.

Bronco defensive line has now been tested.The young Bronco "D" must make some adjustments and showed signs late against the Lions but in time>WHEW glad that's over-now to next week Dayton will have to learn to convert some extra points in the event of close games & must capitalize on fumbles,bad snaps,etc to beat good teams.That means now.Stewart was proud for the win but got his feathers ruffled @ said his piece loudly making his point incl.coaches.Elgin is another powerhouse run team that can be beat.They are the 17-4a TRI-Champs w/3 losses,racking up impressive rushing stats.I give Dayton the edge on offense @ I think that will be enough @home.Broncos by 14.

[/quote

I hope elgin doesn't run better than livingston or we are in trouble.  We will not be able to just outscore folks, we have to stop them.

Dayton 27  Elgin 21

Hmmm...none of the scouting websites show any colleges interested in Derrick Falke from Elgin High School.  They also list him at 5'11" 185...no 40 times which usually means slower than 4.6.  College recruits don't necessary equal to talent...they're looking for talent at the next level.  A 5'10" 185 running back is not what they're looking for at the next level unless he's running 4.4 or less...doesn't mean he's not a good high school back.

I'm not impressed with their running back much. Dayton should win !  Elgin O line looks slow. Daytons speed on D should hurt them espically if Dayton's D gets in the back field. Elgin O telegraphs their play with their pulling linemen. A good D coordinator will have his entire D keyed on that with a running attack O. Go Dayton the Tribe is pulling for you men as well as Ned and Central !!!

so it looks like some stiff competition either way for the 3rd round if dayton advances.... is sharpstown stronger passing or running?

not sure... sharpstown QB sam carter is dangerous with his feet which can open up the big play, etc.  It's hard to judge how good Sharpstown is because HISD is historically not that strong. Terry on the other hand always has a lot of size and some pretty good speed and is from a tough district (even if it is just 5 teams). I think Terry has had trouble scoring this year though.

So Sharpstown is good?  We used to whip them like they owed us something in 2002 and 2003.

hard to tell. I hear the QB is solid though.

Hmmm...It's tough to judge any teams from the inner city HISD because they don't play anyone outside of HISD.  Typically they are pretty weak...I would expect Richmond to win this game fairly handily but again it's tough to judge the HISD schools.

Exactly my thoughts... My only thought is that Terry hasn't put up a lot of points this year.... I would bet they could do enough to win with their salty defense.

Anyone ever find out what we can expect on Friday from Elgin?  Speed/smashmouth/tough d?

this was posted on another board...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think this next matchup between dayton and elgin will be a better game then what people are thinking it will be.  elgin has a legit defense to slow down daytons' high powered offense and a D1 runningback to go with a strong running game to slow down the clock.  do your homework, elgin returned 8 offensive starters including 4 starting offensive lineman from last years team.  after watching last weeks game against livingston and their strong running game, this one could be a toss up!

REGION III PREMIER GAME

Elgin (8-3) vs. Dayton (9-1)

7:30 p.m. Friday, Dayton

Photo by www2.lumberton.k12.tx.us

I can hear you frowning from here. Why is Dayton vs. Elgin, the game sporting the region's largest two spreads this weekend, the feature game? Because Dayton is the last true favorite alive out of all 4A Region III teams. Huntsville? Gone. Lamar Consolidated? Eliminated. Texas City? Dropped by Rosenberg Terry. Lumberton? Victimized by Chance against Crosby. This particular pair of brackets is turning into a bone yard for preseason darlings ... and Dayton is truly the last one standing.

Look, I'm not saying that Dayton is going to lose. All I'm saying is that if it does, both sides of the 4A equation become wide open -- you could conceivably have teams like Lockhart and Magnolia (both picked fifth in the preseason) in the DI regional final and Crosby and Rosenberg Terry (both four- loss teams who didn't even play ten games) in the DII regional final. With the exception of 5A Abilene, no other region in any other class could make such a claim. Dayton is a huge favorite, but I'd be willing to bet that the Broncos haven't felt so much pressure to win convincingly all season. Luckily, they've got QB Cody Green, who is on pace to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000, and ATH A.J. Dugat, an unparalleled physical specimen from a family defined by athleticism. There's no question the offense is there. But can Elgin make magic happen?

If so, it's going to have to get it done with the running game. The Wildcats don't throw the ball often, so RB Derrick Falke and QB Tyler Swenson will have to be at the top of their game from start to finish; added production from Kelton McMillan, Kevin Weaver and Jason Hickman would be a big boost as well. But truthfully the offense might be a minor concern compared to the defense -- if it can't contain Dayton's Green and Dugat, it would have to score in the upper 30s or 40s to win, and I don't think that's a probable outcome. The pressure will be on Dayton to win, and I think it responds. But I'd also bet it moves on to round three with more a nervous laugh than a haughty one.

Padilla Poll says: Dayton by 17

Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Dayton by 17

TexasFootball.com says: Dayton 38, Elgin 24

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476