McNeese over SFA

Guest coachacola

Why is attendance so low across the SLC?

SFA @ McNeese: 13,025

NW State @ UCA: 9,767

Texas State @ SELA: 3,267

SHSU & Nicholls State: 4,032

That is pathetic.

That is pathetic.

UCA and McN attendances were where they should be...

SLU and Nicholls were lower than usual because they were going HEAD to HEAD against LSU-Alabama. Just ask TXST what happens when the Horns are playing, it's much more worse for those schools. There's areas of Louisiana that completely shut down due to LSU. McNeese has rabid fans who will show up.

What will LU draw? I guess I could take shots at the gray hairs that your program is known for at the Montagne, but I'm assuming the students may actually start showing up for a football program.

Your right about the LSU games, people were at the tailgating spots at the McNeese game watching LSU untill it was over then they made there way into the game but they are there and thats a good thing. I have noticed when we travel that other schools do have low attendance.

That is pathetic.

SLU and Nicholls were lower than usual because they were going HEAD to HEAD against LSU-Alabama. Just ask TXST what happens when the Horns are playing, it's much more worse for those schools. There's areas of Louisiana that completely shut down due to LSU. McNeese has rabid fans who will show up.

What will LU draw? I guess I could take shots at the gray hairs that your program is known for at the Montagne, but I'm assuming the students may actually start showing up for a football program.

Lamar will lead slc attendance for first year.....

Lamar will lead slc attendance for first year.....

We'll see. 2011 is a few years off. Will the newness of it wear off quickly and Ws and Ls come into play? It's all new and exciting for these programs. Time will tell...

Will the newness wears off by 2011? What is your prediction?

Guest coachacola

I probably shouldn't have included McNeese as having pathetic attendance.  They do have the best attendance even though they are the smallest school in the SLC.  But since the SLC touts itself as a football conference then wouldn't you expect attendance to be better than what you see at HS games?

I will rag on LU too if attendance is under 15K per game.  I think 3,500 at our basketball games is low, even though we lead the league in attendance every year.  I just think that for a football game you need at least 15K to 20K at a game to get that college gameday feel.

Guest abovetherim

That is pathetic.

TT why do you always ask "What will LU draw" when discussions are made about the low attendence of SLC football games?

TT why do you always ask "What will LU draw" when discussions are made about the low attendence of SLC football games?

LU is going to be in the SLC, are they not? If you are going to take shots at the other SLC schools, you guys really have nothing to base it off of, do you? If you want to be tops of the SLC, you are going to have to draw a "different fan" to football than you do basketball. Some folks just don't like the elements. ;)

Guest coachacola

You know Terror, those "gray hairs" as you like to call them, are called alumni and actual fans from the community.  Since most schools in the SLC don't have those types of fans at their games but only students, it's probably hard for you to understand how important they are.  They actually have money to contribute to the athletic program.  McNeese leads the SLC in attendance in football because of their "gray hairs".  They probably have the largest football budget in the SLC despite having the smallest enrollment.  Maybe SHSU should look into that.

You know Terror, those "gray hairs" as you like to call them, are called alumni and actual fans from the community.  Since most schools in the SLC don't have those types of fans at their games but only students, it's probably hard for you to understand how important they are.  They actually have money to contribute to the athletic program.  McNeese leads the SLC in attendance in football because of their "gray hairs".  They probably have the largest football budget in the SLC despite having the smallest enrollment.  Maybe SHSU should look into that.

It's all in jest -- I know how critical that alumni and community support is. Whether they put butts in the seats or not, the financial implications keep athletic departments moving...do believe TXST and SFA have the biggest football budgets.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124