Shaq plans on "making Spurs pay" for last year's hack-a-shaq ploy

Shaquille O'Neal says he'll get back at the San Antonio Spurs for using the "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy in games where they led handily in last season's playoffs.

"The only thing I call cowardly is when you're up by 10 and do it," O'Neal told Phoenix radio station KTAR. "That's a coward move and [spurs coach Gregg Popovich] knows that and I'll make them pay for it."

O'Neal said he thinks the "Hack-a-Shaq," where teams foul O'Neal, a notoriously poor free-throw shooter, whenever possible late in games, makes the game less appealing to fans. He said he didn't have a problem with the ploy, only the timing.

O'Neal shot 59 percent from the field last season, but only 50 percent from the free-throw line.

There was talk that the NBA might change the rules on the "Hack-a-Shaq" during the offseason, but that didn't happen. O'Neal was asked if he was disappointed the rules weren't changed. "[The strategy] doesn't work," O'Neal said on KTAR. "You know San Antonio tried it but they went home a couple weeks after we went home.

"I just have to go to the line and hit them and make them pay, and I will, I'm not worried."

Shaquille O'Neal says he'll get back at the San Antonio Spurs for using the "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy in games where they led handily in last season's playoffs.

"The only thing I call cowardly is when you're up by 10 and do it," O'Neal told Phoenix radio station KTAR. "That's a coward move and [spurs coach Gregg Popovich] knows that and I'll make them pay for it."

O'Neal said he thinks the "Hack-a-Shaq," where teams foul O'Neal, a notoriously poor free-throw shooter, whenever possible late in games, makes the game less appealing to fans. He said he didn't have a problem with the ploy, only the timing.

O'Neal shot 59 percent from the field last season, but only 50 percent from the free-throw line.

There was talk that the NBA might change the rules on the "Hack-a-Shaq" during the offseason, but that didn't happen. O'Neal was asked if he was disappointed the rules weren't changed. "[The strategy] doesn't work," O'Neal said on KTAR. "You know San Antonio tried it but they went home a couple weeks after we went home.

"I just have to go to the line and hit them and make them pay, and I will, I'm not worried."

the key here, shaq, is where they went home AFTER you went home. 

It has always seemed funny to me that if Shaq really wanted to make teams pay for fouling him, then he would spend every off season in the gym shooting free throws so that it would pay off for his team on the scoreboard.

It is another odd numbered year and time for the Spurs and Duncan to get the fifth ring and of course it will be before Shaq gets a fifth, which I doubt that he ever will.

Go Spurs Go

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder