IS PN-G overrated???

Guest KHS 89

A good friend of mine was asking me today if I thought PN-G may be overrated this year.

His argument was,

1. - they barely got out of Barbers Hill with a win,

2. - they beat Crosby with a blocked extra point (and many have argued that Crosby beat itself that game with mistakes)

3. - they beat very young LC-M team that will be lucky to win one district game this year

4. - lost to Nederland, a team that most had picked to win easily over

Of course, we had a 45 minute heated argument, and then I thought..... this would interesting to put the question here on the board and get some others opinions.

Thoughts??????????

They are no where near as strong looking as they were when we played them last year imo. I think last Saturday was more of PNG struggling than Nederland was that good. Obviously PNG lacks the bigtime the 1-2 running threat that they had last year. Without a big bruising back that can take yards by sheer force they will have a tough time of it against quality defenses judging by the fact that Nederlands D gave them such a fit I know that a real swarming defense like Dayton and WOS usually have will totally shut them down.

On defense they have a decent secondary and played ok , they just had too many receivers to try to cover and deal with Grogan last week. You can see some potential in PNG, but I really dont think they will contend in post season play unless they get a lot better on both sides of the ball, which as we all know happens all the time in high school football.

Two things that will be interesting to see play out.

1. Will PNG get it together?

2. Was the Ned-PNG game a fluke for Nederland?

who knows...maybe Livingston is just under-rated...I mean they were a playoff team last year...Of course, they got spanked by Lumberton and, since Lumberton lost to Vidor and is now "over-rated", I guess it wouldn't be possible for the Lions to actually have some talent...All kidding aside; Livingston looked quick against Lumberton and I said in another post that PN-G needed to be on their toes (especially with that fast "turf")...PN-G will get its wins just like everyone else in this district...I don't think the "upsets" or "surprises" are over with...I also have to say that Lumberton looked good (I know I'm a fan but)...

After seeing them get dismantled by Nederland, I would say yes.  I also think they have more talent than they are allowed to show due to the restraints placed on them by the coaching staff.  Very conservative, and one dimensional.  Turn that QB and big receiver loose.

Tonight the coaches tried this. Livingston picked off  2 early passes for TD's. Livingston defense was in Harrison's face all night. He was sacked several times and had to hurry all night. IMO Livingston has a better Defense than Nederland based on the PNG - Ned game and PNG - Livingston game which I watched. So my data base is somewhat small.

To be honest the answer is yes, we are way overrated. Right now we are just not good....period....Hopefully we can turn this around, but right now its not looking good.

Hold your horses there cowboy, don't turn things around until L-Town comes through there. We're going to need all the help and confidence we can get to take down Big Ned.

To be honest the answer is yes, we are way overrated. Right now we are just not good....period....Hopefully we can turn this around, but right now its not looking good.

Hold your horses there cowboy, don't turn things around until L-Town comes through there. We're going to need all the help and confidence we can get to take down Big Ned.

O.K.,  I'm confused...What does this post have to do with ANYTHING???

I think PNG is very overrated. There defense can't stop anyone on first down. It is extremely hard to stop a drive when its 2nd and 3 or 4 every time. Also PNG is and always has since Long left struggled at passing the ball. Stick with the run. Harmon and Wright looked very good against Nederland but the Indians fell so far behind they were forced to abandon the run. Both are big backs who are averaging 6 yards a carry. If you do that everytime you will eventually score. PNG still should make the playoffs but I think it will be one and done when they get there. Thats just my prediction from what I have noticed.

KHS, I hate to say PNG's overrated.  I think they beat the teams they should've beat early in the year and just ran into a buzzsaw at Nederland.  Sounds like turnovers got em tonight, so I can't say that's indicative of who they are.  I will say many PNG fans were crying for Burnett's head because they feel like the talent was/is the same between PNG/Ned... I think that's hogwash.  Nederland has way more playmakers and overall better talent by far this year.  PNG was better last year.  Time will tell how overrated PNG is.  To me overrated would mean they win 1/2 more games the rest of the year, that could happen, but I don't see it.

KHS, I hate to say PNG's overrated.  I think they beat the teams they should've beat early in the year and just ran into a buzzsaw at Nederland.  Sounds like turnovers got em tonight, so I can't say that's indicative of who they are.  I will say many PNG fans were crying for Burnett's head because they feel like the talent was/is the same between PNG/Ned... I think that's hogwash.  Nederland has way more playmakers and overall better talent by far this year.  PNG was better last year.  Time will tell how overrated PNG is.  To me overrated would mean they win 1/2 more games the rest of the year, that could happen, but I don't see it.

Playing Vidor at Vidor and still facing Lumberton & Central concerns me. PN-G fans always call for Burnetts head when they lose to Nederland. I don't put much stock in that. I agree that Nederland has the upper hand this year. Looking back, of the 3 wins PN-G has put together this year, lets be honest....None of them were convincing.  Beating BH & Crosby while having to come from behind and then beating LC-M does not boast a playoff team.  I think I may have over estimated the NDN's abilities this year. I'm just praying we finish respectable.     

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami