Up To Now Who are your Surprises and Disappointments?

Guest Jags

surprise---lumberton

disappointment---Ozen

LUMBERTON WAS A RANKED TEAM HOW ARE THEY A SURPRISE?? THEY WERE PICKED BETTER THAN DAYTON.

Lumberton ranked??? When did that occur? Unless I fell into a deep sleep for a few days, I don't believe Lumberton has ever come close to being ranked at the State level. Actually, most folks picked Lumberton to finish at the bottom of 20-4A this season (lost a lot of starters). This would include Dave Campbell (despite the revised midseason report that had them going deep into the playoffs). I agree with those who say 20-4A is down this year...It's early so we'll have to see what happens but, in my opinion, Dayton would roll over every team in 20-4A if they were still here. And I'm not a Dayton fan by any means.

Recent History???  Lumberton and Dayton made DEEEEEEP playoff runs last year, how much more recent can you get????  Granted Dayton is no longer in our district, but we still are one of the top 3-4 districts for consistency.  PNG got beat by the state champion, so wouldn't call them a slouch last year either, we don't know how far they could've gone.  204A is a solid district.

Dayton made a deep playoff run and they are in another district now.

Lumberton made a deep playoff run for Lumberton. Which was great for the program, but not a deep playoff run. When was the last time this district (and I am talking about a local 4A - not Dayton) has been to a Championship or even a Semifinal. The district is tough because of the parody, which is great for local intrest, but statewide this district might be top 15 right now. Take those SETX Gumbo tinted glasses off and you will see the truth.

Districts That are better:

1. 4

2. 5

3. 8

4. 10

5. 13

6. 14

7. 16

8. 18

9. 23

10. 24

11. 25

12. 27

13. 30

I think that Vidor may be more than a spoiler and go ahead and make the playoffs themselves.

Well when you take into consideration that more than half of the district will get into the playoffs, it ain't that big of an accomplishment. Winning district or runner up is the only thing to boast anymore. And as far as most are concerned the playoffs don't really start now until after bi-district.

You are correct but I was only responding to the "spoiler" statement made by KHS. A team isn't a spoiler if they make the playoffs themselves and I thought it was a bit premature to cut Vidor out of the hunt for a spot.

I guess, what I meant to say was that I think Vidor will be a playoff team this year, therefore "spoiling it" for one of the other teams that is counting on being one of the four teams..... such as Lumberton, or maybe Central.  But I do agree... it is really too early to say.

You are correct but I was only responding to the "spoiler" statement made by KHS. A team isn't a spoiler if they make the playoffs themselves and I thought it was a bit premature to cut Vidor out of the hunt for a spot.

I guess, what I meant to say was that I think Vidor will be a playoff team this year, therefore "spoiling it" for one of the other teams that is counting on being one of the four teams..... such as Lumberton, or maybe Central.  But I do agree... it is really too early to say.

Therein lies the problem with forums. You can't always tell what someone is thinking by the way they wrote it. They need voice inflections on here so we can hear the tone of voice.

On the other hand... maybe we don't.

I doubt we spoil it for Central. I don't think anyone can beat Central but themselves. I really feel that we lost by one point to the best team in the district. But that is just my opinion, based on what I've seen so far.

I think we have what it takes to make it past bi-district should we end up in the playoffs: A tough offensive and defensive line (you are only as strong as your line) and a bruising running game that wears down the defense (which is what happened to Lumberton in the second half) along with a few passes thrown in for good measure to throw the opposing defense off balance once we have them keyed on the run.

The answer to the previous question is WO-S vs Ennis, I think the year was 2002. WO-s didn't show up until the 2nd half. All in all 204A is a competetive district within itself. We really do not have alot of explosive offenses other than Nederland this year. Nederland actually looks to be very balanced with their attck. I do not know much about their defense this year.

I think the other teams minus LCM match up very close on offense. Poor o LCM I sure hope they turn their program around.

Well i said before that everybodys surprise would be High Island after friday night.  I was right, but i stand corrected on my statement about Hardin.  That was a great win and I know your community is very proud of you.  Good luck Hornets and Go Cards!!!!!

Recent History???  Lumberton and Dayton made DEEEEEEP playoff runs last year, how much more recent can you get????  Granted Dayton is no longer in our district, but we still are one of the top 3-4 districts for consistency.  PNG got beat by the state champion, so wouldn't call them a slouch last year either, we don't know how far they could've gone.  204A is a solid district.

The previous reply is right - two wins deep in a six-game playoff is not DEEEEP, though great for a program that is trying to turn around. Back in the late 90s and early 00s, 20-4A was probably the strongest or second strongest 4A district in the state, but now it's just above average. Let's face it - since we (WO-S) dropped out, we've beaten the eventual 20-4A champs EVERY YEAR, and we haven't won it all in the 3A level. There is no way that one of the top 4A districts in Texas has its BEST team lose to a 3A team every year for five years (possibly six, if Nederland wins it this year).

Exactly what I was saying earlier WOS92. Very competative locally, but not in the playoffs. I think this past Friday night showed that, with the favorite losing in 3 of the 4 games. 20-4A is actually probably in the lower half of the 32 districts in the state. Facts are facts.

WOS played Ennis for the 4A state title in 2000, the year after PNG played Stephenville. Since then nothing!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami