Basketball Roster

I just noticed the roster on the website for the first time.  Surprises?  Comments?  Is Brooks Ybarra a walk on?  I know he was a great HS player, but not sure if he was a DI prospect.  Matt Pace from Kelly is a great kid and will be a good addition to the team.  He may rarely see the floor, but he has the right mindset to be a great cheerleader from the bench.

2008-2009 Roster

Coaches 

No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Yr.-Exp. Hometown (High School)

1 Anthony Miles G 5-11 165 FR-HS Houston, Texas (Clear Brook HS)

2 Brooks Ybarra G 6-4 180 FR-HS Baytown, Texas (Barbers Hill HS)

3 Shane Mahoney G 6-1 175 SO-1L Simi Valley, Calif. (Stoneridge Prep)

5 Skyler Williams G 6-2 195 SO-TR East Dublin, Ga. (East Laurens HS)

12 Brandon McThay G 5-11 170 SR-2L Deerfield Beach, Fla. (Fork Union Military Prep)

14 Kenny Dawkins G 5-9 155 SR-1L Holly Springs, Miss. (Holly Springs HS)

15 Ashton Hall F 6-6 210 JR-1L Kountze, Texas (Kountze HS)

21 Charlie Harper G 6-4 195 FR-HS San Antonio, Texas (Madison HS)

24 Justin Nabors F 6-6 215 SR-1L Holly Springs, Miss. (Holly Springs HS)

31 Matt Pace G 5-10 160 FR-HS Beaumont, Texas (Kelly HS)

33 T.J. Riley G 6-1 165 FR-HS Tyler, Texas (Chapel Hill HS)

34 Justin Carter F 6-8 230 SO-TR Marrero, La. (John Ehret HS)

40 Jay Brown F 6-7 230 SR-1L Griffin, GA (Griffin HS)

44 Tristan Worrell F 6-7 250 SR-1L Houston, Texas (Fort Bend Bush HS)

52 Coy Custer C 6-10 260 SO-1L League City, Texas (Clear Creek HS)

55 Lawrence Nwevo F/C 6-8 260 SR-3L Lagos, Nigeria (Towson Catholic HS)

Guest coachacola

Custer and Nwevo better be much improved.  Jay Brown might be a better offensive player than Nabors, but Nabors was a beast on the offensive boards.  And with Sanders gone rebounding might be a problem.  Since defense has been lacking the last few years, if Roc can improve the defense then they can still have a good season without Nabors.

Lamar recruits a handful of juco kids who can step in and be immediate help like Dawkins, Nabors, Sanders, those type of players. Of course Roc has brought guys here like Coy Custer, and other players who he hopes to develop i bet you can add Anthony Miles to the list. The guy was a STUD scorer in HS against anybody and I see him bringing immediate scoring off the bench and hopefully he can take advantage of learning the offense from Kenny this year so he can take it over next year.

Lamar recruits a handful of juco kids who can step in and be immediate help like Dawkins, Nabors, Sanders, those type of players. Of course Roc has brought guys here like Coy Custer, and other players who he hopes to develop i bet you can add Anthony Miles to the list. The guy was a STUD scorer in HS against anybody and I see him bringing immediate scoring off the bench and hopefully he can take advantage of learning the offense from Kenny this year so he can take it over next year.

If Miles is the kid from Clear Brook/Lake (?), I heard from a source he isn't or wasn't all the hype thats been posted about him. In fact, his name wasn't mentioned among the top guards in the Houston area. But hey, some guys do mature late and Miles may become the man at Lamar.

Guest abovetherim

Well, Miles was one of two freshman Coach Roc mentioned as doing well in preseason drills during his time on the Bob West show Sportswrap. The other was Charlie Harper.

Guest coachacola

I think Roc is recruiting players who can run the floor real well, which is probably why he's not signing many 6-9 or 6-10 guys.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think Roc's trying to build his teams like Calipari at Memphis, but since he can't recruit the same caliber player, we're getting these guys who are under the radar and a little undersized, but will be quicker and more athletic than anyone else in the SLC.

Coach Roc has already said he changed his coaching style his first year to accomodate James Davis.  And I bet Nwevo's playing time dwindled last year when players like Brown and Hall got used to D1 ball and were able to run the floor better.

I think Roc is recruiting players who can run the floor real well, which is probably why he's not signing many 6-9 or 6-10 guys.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think Roc's trying to build his teams like Calipari at Memphis, but since he can't recruit the same caliber player, we're getting these guys who are under the radar and a little undersized, but will be quicker and more athletic than anyone else in the SLC.

Coach Roc has already said he changed his coaching style his first year to accomodate James Davis.  And I bet Nwevo's playing time dwindled last year when players like Brown and Hall got used to D1 ball and were able to run the floor better.

Hmmm? You know, this makes sense about Roc's strategy with the team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami