*Dayton vs. Goose Creek Memorial/ Final Dayton Wins 49-0/ Comments**

bronco1

Daytown trounces Memorial, 49-0

By Jerry Michalsky

Contributor

Published October 1, 2008

Playing tough with District favorite Dayton for the first qua ter and half, turnovers doomed Goose Creek Memorial late in the second quarter as three turnovers were quickly turned in to 21 points in a spam of less than five minutes late in the first half as the Patriots fell to Dayton 49-0, Tuesday night at Stallworth stadium in both teams’ district opener.

After the Broncos took their opening series and quickly marched 48-yards on five plays to make it 6-0, it was the Memorial defense that turned it up a notch.

A.J. Dugat got Dayton on the board at the 9:04 mark of the first quarter with a one yard run. That is when the Patriot defense got stingy, holding the Broncos on two fourth down conversions and also blocking a Dayton punt.

Midway through the first quarter it was Kendal Doyle coming from the outside to block a Brian McBride punt to give the Patriots the ball at the Bronco 30-yard line. Facing a fourth and 10 from the Dayton 30-yard line, Memorial quarterback Cody Larson hit Patrick Wood for nine yards at the 21-yard line. The pass would come up a yard short of the first down which turned it back over to the Bronco offense.

Then on consecutive possessions it was Joseph St.Julian stopping the Dayton offense cold on back-to-back series forcing the Bronco offense to turn it over on downs.

The Dayton defense itself was sty fling on the night by limiting the Patriots offense to only 56 yards of total offense. With the Patriots facing a third and eight at the Bronco 38-yard line it was Dylan Bethea stepping in front of a Larson pass and returning it 52 yards to the Memorial 28-yard line. Five plays later it was Cody Green hooking up with Dugat from four yards out to make it 14-0.

Two scores in a span of :16 seconds late in the first half would make it 28-0 at the half as Dugat picked off a Larson pass deep in Patriot territory. Green scored from five yards, then hit Payton Ploch from 28-yards with 1:03 left in the half to extend the lead.

Memorial (0-3, 0-1), then got a break to start the second half as Isaiah Wimberly recovered the second kickoff at the Bronco 16-yard line. The drive would stall as Larson was sacked on a fourth down attempt to end the threat. Taking over at their own 31-yard line, it was Dayton quickly going 69-yards on four plays to make it 35-0. The drive would be capped off by a Green to Dugat 35-yard touchdown pass.

Dayton (2-1, 1-0), finished its scoring as Green hit Ploch from five yards out and Evan Brown added a five yard score late in the game.

Green finished the night with 238-yard passing on 19 of 24 attempts. Dugat lead all receivers with 10-catches for 163-yards while Ploch added eight receptions for 75-yards.

Larson finished with 44-yard passing to lead the Patriots while Wood and Brandon Rhoden both had two catches each.

Both teams will only have three days off before returning to district play on Saturday. Memorial will be at Crosby while the Broncos will welcome North Forest. Game time is set for 7:00 P.M.

Hello? No thread posts here about Daytons win??? What gives?

GO BRONCOS! Final? I got bored after 40+ to nothing......FINAL??? ANYONE?

The final was 49-0.  I want to say I counted 2 first downs by GC and maybe 30 total yards of offense.  They are going to be a great football team in time.  They only play sophmores and juniors so lets let them mature their new football program for a few years and I bet they might start to narrow those gaps on Dayton.  Dayton looks a little sloppy the first quarter and a half but picked up speed towards the end. 

Someone might want to get a hold of the Band Director in Dayton and let her know that when Dayton scores that shes supposed to have her band play the fight song.  We scored 3 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter and no band what so ever.  They were just standing over near the end zone chilling out..........

But in the director's defense they were scoring pretty quickly!!!

But seriously, while Dayton should have and did roll the GCM Patriots, I was not impressed by them. They will maybe go two rounds.

i wasn't impressed either... especially in the first half. but, I know how dayton progresses and they will be much better by the end of the year.

I mean we may not be able to hang with your team (cleveland?) but we'll be better than last night.  :-\

also, 25 days off doesn't help anything, heck even friendswood struggled throwing the other night.

Guest TravelingBandsman

Can Dayton run the ball?   It seems that short yardage situations might be their downfall later on.

If you recall though, it was a team that always passed that beat us and won state last year in Division II 4A.

Can Dayton run the ball?   It seems that short yardage situations might be their downfall later on.

If you recall though, it was a team that always passed that beat us and won state last year in Division II 4A.

he's talking about us converting 3rd and 4th and shorts into 1st downs running the ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics