Does most schools have this problem?

Guest gladiator2

Guest gladiator2

I don't know how many people have had experience's with going to a practice and you keep seeing a kid starting on a team because of his last name. Some kid's just show up and have a position from the 7th grade on because his uncle,cousin, or brother was a very good ballplayer, so they see the last name and just believe that they are going to be just as good. I don't know if this is just PNG or everywhere. Sometimes I believe that over here that some kid's get the benefit of so many coaches being from PNG and from a lot of coaches being family or close friends. I was with a group of people the other day and they were talking about the JR. High team and named some kid's that were very good and one kid's name was brought up as being very good and I was wondering what have they been watching. I asked him has he watched this kid a bunch and he told me no but said the rest of his family was good so he figured he was too. Kind of rediculous. I told him that if he had watched long enough that the kid came off of the field hurt more than he played and that he needed to get bigger and faster before he can be put into the category of being good. Personally, I have not been affected by this type of coaching because my son has not started playing JR.High yet. I have seen several good ballplayer's get looked over especially when they went from Groves Middle School to the High School. One day I hope this changes for the benefit of all kid's.

I would think this happens at every school and as in life! This is a common theme that most will find throught out their school and work careers. Its not what ya know its who ya know  ;D It's not the case all of the time ,but it does happen more than most would like.

My advice?  Don't worry about it.  These coaches get paid to win, and if your kid is good enough to help the team, he will get his chance.  It might take a little while to get past the name recognition problem, but it will happen eventually for the really talented kids.

My advice?  Don't worry about it.  These coaches get paid to win, and if your kid is good enough to help the team, he will get his chance.  It might take a little while to get past the name recognition problem, but it will happen eventually for the really talented kids.

Good point, they get paid to win. A coach is not going to play less talent and end up getting his but run off. If you kid is good enough he will get to play.

True, good advice.

Good point, they get paid to win. A coach is not going to play less talent and end up getting his but run off. If you kid is good enough he will get to play.

If the lesser talented kid has the same last name as the Superintendent or Board President, he/she is going to play. It happens in schools all over this state. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.

If the lesser talented kid has the same last name as the Superintendent or Board President, he/she is going to play. It happens in schools all over this state. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.

There's a prime example of it going on at e.c. Right now.

Certainly haven't seen that problem at WOS.  You have to earn your position no matter who you are!

And that is why Dan Hooks and the Mustangs are so successful year in and year out.  Area teams would be alot better off if that were the case in each school in the district, but sadly it is not.

Guest strongend

A lot of the problem comes from the kids playing little league, pop warner, etc...  The kids are coached by dads, uncles, friends.  When they get middle school, they are used to playing even though they don't deserve it.  This is when names and friends do not matter.  Sounds to me like the disgruntled parents need to objectively evaluate their kids and not use rose colored glasses.  It is a hard pill to swallow, but some kids are just better.

Guest WeedBegone

Face it folks, this happens in sports, school, business, loan applications, politics, and all other walks of life.  i am not sure if this will help us in the after life--we'll just have to wait and see.  ;D

A lot of the problem comes from the kids playing little league, pop warner, etc...  The kids are coached by dads, uncles, friends.  When they get middle school, they are used to playing even though they don't deserve it.  This is when names and friends do not matter.  Sounds to me like the disgruntled parents need to objectively evaluate their kids and not use rose colored glasses.  It is a hard pill to swallow, but some kids are just better.

I call them daddy goggles. If you are a dad then you have them. How you use them and when and if you take them off is the important thing. The best thing a dad can do for his child is be honest about his abilities and work to get him/her better. Some dad's never take them off, some use them very wisely. We have to ask ourselves.....Which one are we?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics