Coaching Changes?

Guest DickVitale

There were a few:

School                      old coach                reason

Houston Kashmere      Lloyd Lamb              fired

Houston Westside      Chester Smith            fired

Spring Dekaney          Brad Autry                accepted college asst. job

Hou. Forest Brook      Gilbert Goode            consolidation w/Smiley

* None of these schools have hired replacements as of today..Kashmere has offered the job to their former coach who had just retired last season, but nothing official yet. I will post more when I get more! ;)

I had heard about Barlett (Broaddus) going to Huntington. Sounds like a good move for him. He is a good coach and I think a lot of potential. I would not be surprised to see where he might eventually end up.

I did not know about Stapert (Spurger) going to Kirbyville. This one might be interesting to watch. His success this past year was a direct result of the strong group of kids that came up through the Little Dribbler program they have. It would be interesting to see who follows Stapert, as there is a lot of potential the next couple of years.

Where did the Kirbyville coach go?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Stapert was great for Spurger. He did an outstanding job. The Little Dribblers program was resurrected because of him. He is the one that got that started again. Spurger will be good, however I think the move to Kirbyville will be a good one. He will have more athleticism (year in & year out) and with his coaching style, he may be able to turn that program around as well.

I never comment on this website. I normally just read the information and see how certain teams are doing. However, I am going to comment on this one. My name is Cody Plake. I coached for Coach Stapert for 2 years at Spurger. I consider him one of my best friends. I do not know for sure if he is going to Kirbyville, but if he is, he needs to be the one to let the kids know. Not someone on the internet. That's just a respect thing. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but that's just how I feel about that.

In my 2 years at Spurger I learned more about Basketball and Life than any other time in my life. Coach Stapert is an amazing person. He is always there to help the kids when they need help and he devotes his life to all students he comes in contact with (not just the Basketball Players). He worked his tail off and made Spurger a lotttttttt better than when he first arrived. At one time, Spurger was laughed at by everyone (I remember, because I used to laugh at them). Now it is a place that is respected by everyone across the state.

There was a comment about this year being a product of The Little Dribblers Program. That is true and that is not true. The Seniors this year are what made the team they were this year (not the freshmen)(the freshmen were good, but they weren't the one's that led the team). I had the honor of coaching them (seniors) for 2 years and I wouldn't trade those relationships for anything. Those kids were fun to coach. It was amazing to see how far they had came (not only as basketball players, but more importantly as individuals). I went and watched them play a playoff game against Broaddus and it was so much fun to see the kids respond to Coach Stapert and do exactly what he told them to do.

Spurger does have a bright future ahead of them (if all the kids stay in Spurger). The underclassmen are an exceptional group. We had great practices when I was there. They went all out, all of the time. They are hard workers, respectful but most importantly they are great kids. If I were still in the Golden Triangle, I wouldn't hesitate to coach them again. I wish them the best.

In Conclusion, I wish Spurger the best of luck and seniors if you need a letter of recommendation for college let Coach Stapert know and I'll hook you up. Good Luck Pirates !!!

Cody M Plake

I have been reading some comments about Coach Stapert (getting a little red in the face), and I am here to say I think he is an awesome coach!  The reason our boys went to the playoffs this year is the result of hard work and dedication for the past several years.  It takes several years to build an athletic program!  I respect the way he encourages our students - yet is firm and to the point when needed.  Kids need a firm hand and guidance when is it is so lacking in the home.  I have seen Coach Stapert interact with the kids, and I would put my trust in him to guide my children any day! Sure it's hard to watch your child be corrected (yes he has corrected mine many times!) but I have seen those same children come back and say "thanks for the guidance you game me." I am proud of what Coach Stapert has done for our overall athletics program and the elementary PE program.  Our kids now actually are learning basic athletic skills.  As a result, my children love physical education and have acquired a new love for sports (which they have not enjoyed before) 

Sure Little Dribblers prepares these kids for future athletics just as little league does; however, it is not the entire reason for making the playoffs.  Hello --- look at our seniors - one an all state player - one an all region player - and one a second team all district!!  Let's just go ahead and state the facts!  Were they not the ones who actually led us to where we ultimately went?  HMMMM -  I'm not saying they are the only reason because we have a number of talented kids who gave their all, but you can not say that Little Dribblers is the reason - it takes more than five players on a team to reach the status that Spurger did!  How many of the Little Dribblers actually were recognized as commended this year, hello - ONE?  Could that be George Whittaker - a true dedicated and respectful player!  I am sad to say that some of our young players are lacking respect for our coaching staff and a true understanding of what it takes to be a genuine athlete! 

I am extremely sad to see Coach Stapert leave; however perhaps it is time to go to a school where he will be more respected by parents as a coach!  Kirbyville is a lucky district!!    ;) ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

NO he will not be coaching the boys. The front-runner is Big Sandy assistant boys coach Calobe Isaacs. He is a worthy candidate and would do fine job there if chosen. A high character individual, comes from a fine family and has work his way through ranks. Good luck, I hope he gets it.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard the Calobe Isaacs was the coach at Livingston before being assistant at BS.

From a web search, I see that he was also the leader of BS's FCA. Hope that he will do the same in Spurger.

It will be interesting to see what he will bring to Spurger and if/how he will mix it up. He has a good group of players and if he plays his card right, Spurger could be a strong force in the district. Too bad BS is no longer in the district, as a game between these coaches would be intriguing.

I hope that this will be a good learning experience for the player's (new system, new face, new attitude, etc), the coaching staff and for the parents/fans.

Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami