UIL Drafts Proposal To Spilt Football Conferences

This is the hidden content, please

SPLIT CONFERENCE FOOTBALL ALIGNMENT STUDY - DRAFT

This is a draft of a plan that could split football conferences into two

divisions. This is not a proposal by UIL staff, nor has it been

approved by the UIL Legislative Council.

The study of a split conference alignment plan for football is complete. This plan

divides each conference into two divisions in football. The largest half of each

conference is grouped into a division and the smaller half of the conference is divided into a separate division. The large school division has 16 districts and the smallest half of each conference has 16 districts. Approximately six to eight schools are placed into each district. The same number of schools from each district advance to the playoffs. Twelve champions would be crowned as is done currently.

Possible Advantages:

• Provides more clarity and less confusion regarding who is Division I and who is

Division II.

• Clearly defines divisions prior to the season rather than at the end of district play.

• Creates more equity in relation to the largest and smallest school within a

division.

• Eliminates two schools with the largest enrollments in the state advancing to the

playoffs in the smaller enrollment division.

• Eliminates the smallest schools in a conference grouped with the largest schools

in a conference.

Possible Disadvantges:

• Additional travel.

• Other team sport activities could want the same division alignment.

• Creates an additional group of schools that will be the smallest within a division.

• Creates administrative inconvenience.

• Scheduling issues could occur in multi-school districts that share stadiums.

The UIL staff presented the concept to the Legislative Council in June and October.

The Council authorized this study to provide information regarding the actual

placement of schools into districts. This draft is for study purposes only and

applies only to football.

Conference -Enrollment -Range -Number of schools

5A Division 1 -2565 and above -123

5A Division 2 -2085 - 2564 -123

4A Division 1 -1520 - 2084 -120

4A Division 2 -980 - 1519 -121

3A Division 1 -629 - 979 -89

3A Division 2 -430 - 628 -88

2A Division 1 -292 - 429 -103

2A Division 2 -200 - 291 -102

1A Division 1 -155 - 199 -82

1A Division 2 -100 - 154 -82

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5A D1 Proposal

5A D2 Proposal

4A D1 Proposal

4A D2 Proposal

3A D1 Proposal

3A D2 Proposal

2A D1 Proposal

2A D2 Proposal

Guest ECBucFan

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=804727

Possible Disadvantges:

• Additional travel.

Possible Disadvantges? Ha! Its a flat out certainty. Heres one example:

District 12

Deweyville

Garrison

Groveton

New Waverly

San Augustine

Shelbyville

When you are pumping a $100 of gas into your car, and about to make the two hour drive...THANK THE UIL.

This is all a joke. School districts with low budgets will not go for more travel with the prices of gas and diesel are now. The UIL believing that getting schools to compete against similiar enrollment schools while making some go broke is the right thing to do just shows where the mindset is. They could care less how much it will cost a school district to carry out there plan.

This is so lame.

I agree and i see what your saying. But you would be surprised the Coaches especially Small School Coaches who want this to pass. The UIL is wanting Teams to play teams close to their enrollment so they'll have a better chance to make the postseason and more.

I agree and i see what your saying. But you would be surprised the Coaches especially Small School Coaches who want this to pass. The UIL is wanting Teams to play teams close to their enrollment so they'll have a better chance to make the postseason and more.

Of course the coaches would want this, evens the playing field, maybe. ::) But the fact is, the coaches don't set the school district's budget. I am sure you have some coaches out there who don't mind spending the money while taking away from something else. The ole " robbing Peter to pay Paul " bit. 

I am sure there are many sensible coaches who are against this plan too.

Of course the coaches would want this, evens the playing field, maybe. ::) But the fact is, the coaches don't set the school district's budget. I am sure you have some coaches out there who don't mind spending the money while taking away from something else. The ole " robbing Peter to pay Paul " bit. 

I am sure there are many sensible coaches who are against this plan too.

There are.

Guest ECBucFan

http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=804727

Possible Disadvantges:

• Additional travel.

District 12

Deweyville

Garrison

Groveton

New Waverly

San Augustine

Shelbyville

When you are pumping a $100 of gas into your car, and about to make the two hour drive...THANK THE UIL.

Those beating the drum for this fiasco will quickly have reality hit when the scheduals are released. Look at the DV opponents. Instead of playing Warren and Kountze, they get to travel to New Waverly, Garrison, and Shelbyville, etc. BRILLIANT!  ::) 

Smiley/Forest Brook combo is a done deal so put them in division 1 and swap places with Central and get them back in the Golden Triangle

It wont work because Central has a high enrollment than the Triangle schools... They are all in D2.  But at least put them with the houston schools...  We have Livingston this year without that alignment, so there is really no difference.  Every year there is some school in some district traveling so that is not the biggest disadvantage.  I kind of like this idea!

Guest ECBucFan

I agree but the plan is for Schools to play Schools with near are the same enrollment.

Yes, everyone understands that.

To some degree this will backfire. In 2A, some "large" teams were pathetic, and some of the smallest (Alto, now 1A, for a perfect example) were awesome. Betcha DV would rather take their chances against Warren than New Waverly, Garrison or San Augustine...betcha. 

Possible Disadvantges:

• Additional travel.

District 12

Deweyville

Garrison

Groveton

New Waverly

San Augustine

Shelbyville

Those beating the drum for this fiasco will quickly have reality hit when the scheduals are released. Look at the DV opponents. Instead of playing Warren and Kountze, they get to travel to New Waverly, Garrison, and Shelbyville, etc. BRILLIANT!  ::) 

I'm opposed to the idea, travel alone will be a killer and the fact the games and rivalries will be lost/missed.

I agree but the plan is for Schools to play Schools with near are the same enrollment.

Yes, everyone understands that.

To some degree this will backfire. In 2A, some "large" teams were pathetic, and some of the smallest (Alto, now 1A, for a perfect example) were awesome. Betcha DV would rather take their chances against Warren than New Waverly, Garrison or San Augustine...betcha. 

Your right, Warren is always a tough game, no matter the sport, I like 23-AA just the way it is.

Guest ECBucFan

3A Div2 District 10

Tarkington

Coldspring

Diboll

Hamshire-Fannett

Huntington

Orangefield

Shepherd

I like it!!  Hope it passes!!

Can't blame you for wanting to avoid H-J, Silsbee, WOS, and BC...

Smiley/Forest Brook combo is a done deal so put them in division 1 and swap places with Central and get them back in the Golden Triangle

It wont work because Central has a high enrollment than the Triangle schools... They are all in D2.  But at least put them with the houston schools...  We have Livingston this year without that alignment, so there is really no difference.  Every year there is some school in some district traveling so that is not the biggest disadvantage.  I kind of like this idea!

Yeah but Smiley/FB is bigger than Central.  At least move Central closer to the Triangle if not a straight flip/flop

3A Div2 District 10

Tarkington

Coldspring

Diboll

Hamshire-Fannett

Huntington

Orangefield

Shepherd

I like it!!  Hope it passes!!

It will pass eventually!

No it won't. The costs of travel will be too much. Just another stupid idea that the UIL has come up with no regard to the schools budgets.

If the UIL wants an even playing field, then let them counter the travel costs with a state travel fund for poor school districts. I bet that will go over real good with the UIL. ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami