Holiday Games and Tourneys

HubTx

I'm hearing that the championship game of the James Gamble Classic had Ozen vs. Central. Ozen was winning, but a brawl ended the game. No trophy was preesented, and there was no MVP. I believe that the tournament considered Ozen as the winner since they were leading at the time.

On a side note, I also heard that the coaches were antagonizing the issue instead of trying to stop it, and that the refs lost total control of the game instead of making the players abide by regulations.

The game was going horrible from the get go. Central could not get anything done on the court and Ozen did a decent job of shutting down Brandon Moton, but Fisher was lighting them up while they were doubling B Mo. Ozen was up by 20+ when Mac Randle got tired of the uncalled fouls and a scuffle broke out. It took the coaches and refs to break it up and this is when I think some ejections would have saved the tournament. Coach Gamble himself had to call a meeting at center court to try and calm the players down, and the coaches did not do alot to stop all the mouthing that continued after this. When gameplay resumed, Fisher and A. Boutte started some back and forth mouthing and got into a shoving match. The coaches, both benches and the fans erupted and the gym turned into a melee free for all. The shouting and fighting was finally stopped and the tournament was cancelled completely. Can't blame the refs for this one, and the coaches could only do a little more than they did to stop the outbreak. The real problem here was the cross-town rivalry that just got out of hand and the players attitudes. High school kids that were frustrated and angry and it just escalated from there.

Personally, I think that they should have taken the third and fourth place teams and placed them in the championship game. This would have completed the tournament. They could have named the MVP and given the trophy as normal.

This should have been used to set an example of what will not be tolerated. The message that was sent was that this will be tolerated. Ozen is still considered the tournament winner, even though they did not get a trophy. Just my $0.02.

I'm hearing that some are worried about the Ozen/Central district games that still have to be played. I've been told that there are usually issues at those games. This year could be worse than usual. The tournament could have been used as a means to discourage this behaviour later down the road.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder