Nederland/LaMarque Predictions For Week 0

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=326cff954285f149

Coogs start season with blast from the past

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published August 31, 2006

LA MARQUE — When the La Marque Cougars take the field for their season opener at Reliant Stadium on Friday, they will have a retro look.

The Coogs will wear helmet decals from the 1986 La Marque team — the school’s first squad to advance to a state championship game in football.

La Marque head coach Bryan Erwin said the team plans to wear the decals the first four games of the season, as well as honor the 1986 team during halftime of their first home game against La Porte on Sept. 15.

The ceremony will also honor former La Marque head coach Hugh Massey, who died in a car accident that season.

“We came up with this idea as a program and a team,†Erwin said. “I admire what Coach Massey did for this school. He got this program started, and we have a lot of respect for what he did.â€

On the evening of Dec. 4, 1986, Massey and his assistant coaches had attended a District 24-5A dinner at Gaido’s in Galveston, less than 48 hours before the Coogs were set to play Aldine MacArthur in the Class 5A quarterfinals.

But Massey, 39, was killed returning home, when his 1982 Lincoln slammed into a stalled truck on the causeway.

With heavy hearts, the Coogs played and won their quarterfinal match-up 26-10, and a week later defeated Austin Reagan 26-14 to advance to their first state title game.

La Marque lost to Plano in the finals 24-7.

“We felt like wearing the decals from the year was a good way to honor Coach Massey,†Erwin said.

“One of our coaches, Leroy Truitt, was on that team. So was (senior running back) Marcus Frank’s father. It was pretty amazing for them to accomplish what they did after that tragedy.â€

The decal is the former logo of the Michigan Panthers from the USFL. Senior quarterback Durklyn Haynes said the team is excited to wear the same logo on their helmets as that ’86 squad.

“It’s a privilege for us to honor the past,†he said. “It’s a privilege and an honor.â€

But will Erwin go back to the regular Cougar paw on the helmet if this year’s team starts off 4-0?

“No, we’ll keep the old logo on,†Erwin said with a smile. “We may have the Cougar paw on one side and the old logo on the other, but we’ll definitely keep wearing them.â€

Read For Reliant

The Coogs get to play on the big stage at Reliant Stadium to open the new season. But the players and coaches are just treating this like every other game.

“I’m used to playing at a big stadium like this,†Haynes said. “We’ve played in the Alamodome before, so this isn’t anything different. There are going to be a lot of people, a lot of noise and a lot of blood, sweat and tears.â€

That’s exactly the attitude Erwin wants his players to have entering the big match-up against Nederland.

“We’re not making a big deal out of this at all,†Erwin said. “We’re still going to take the yellow bus, and when we get there, we are going to be ready to play.â€

Erwin said the Coogs have their hands full against the strong fundamental play of Nederland. That’s why he’s making sure everyone is mentally prepared for the challenge.

“We can’t make mistakes,†Erwin said. “If we do, they will capitalize on it. We’ve got to play smart and be mentally ready for the game.â€

But the players insist they are set to take the field and back up their preseason expectations.

“Everyone is up for this game,†Haynes said. “We’re ready. It’s time to show that it’s our time.â€

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone...and I mean anyone who thinks Nederland has a glimmer of chance at winning this ball game is completely dillusioned by home town pride. Let's get real...teams like Nederland do not play teams like LaMarque (and that is with a capital "M" by the way) to get an early win...they play them in order to measure their own team's ability by playing the best out there.

And don't give me that "they're not the LM they used to be" nonsense. People...this is LaMarque.

But my hats off to the teams that play the best no matter what the outcome will be 100 times out of 100. In order to be the best, you have to beat the best...and that begins with playing the best...then moves on to being competitive with the best...eventually approaches almost beating the best...and one day, maybe, just maybe...beating the best.

And you will have the 2 hr drive home to dream about that one day...somewhere off in the future...that the day arrives when Nederland finally...almost beats LaMarque.

(edit 'cuz I forgot to put my score prediction)

LaMarque 35

Nederland 12

Why so close? Because LM will sub in there back-ups before the half.

(Gee...I wonder where I went to HS??)

Guest 1motime

Anyone...and I mean anyone who thinks Nederland has a glimmer of chance at winning this ball game is completely dillusioned by home town pride. Let's get real...teams like Nederland do not play teams like LaMarque (and that is with a capital "M" by the way) to get an early win...they play them in order to measure their own team's ability by playing the best out there.

And don't give me that "they're not the LM they used to be" nonsense. People...this is LaMarque.

But my hats off to the teams that play the best no matter what the outcome will be 100 times out of 100. In order to be the best' date=' you have to beat the best...and that begins with playing the best...then moves on to being competitive with the best...eventually approaches almost beating the best...and one day, maybe, just maybe...beating the best.

And you will have the 2 hr drive home to dream about that one day...somewhere off in the future...that the day arrives when Nederland finally...almost beats LaMarque.

(edit 'cuz I forgot to put my score prediction)

LaMarque 35

Nederland 12

Why so close? Because LM will sub in there back-ups before the half.

(Gee...I wonder where I went to HS??)[/quote']

100% Wrong about all you wrote ::a

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami