DID YOU KNOW?

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

That Houston Wheatley ran out of MONEY before leaving to go to Austin on Wednesday?! My father and former Wheatley coaching legend Jackie Carr, both wrote large checks to come to the rescue of their beloved alma mater! UNBELIEVABLE!! HISD should be ashamed of themselves...They blamed the site based management system in HISD for this, but, really...The team is representing in the state tournament, and the district cannot cover what the UIL won't? UNREAL!!  :o :o

Guest DickVitale

The wealthy tax payers in Houston should get soaked some more so that wheatley can go on more basketball trips.   >:(

Come on man...these kids were representing their community and school in the state basketball tournament...There was money that was available, they just would not come off of it, because it was said that the school should have allocated extra money for this...They had no idea they would be going to the state tourney...Should they have just NOT let them go? That is pitiful... :(

Guest truthhurts

What's pitiful, DV, is that your Dad and a former coach had to catch the slack.  Don't these kids have parents who could help out.  I would, if it was my kid.

Guest DickVitale

If they pay their superintendent what the BISD pays theirs than no wonder they are broke. ;D

They (HISD) are FAR from broke..Its just the HISD policy due to their site based management system, which, by the way sucks!!  EVERY penny comes from the school and whatever is needed should be budgeted in at the beginning of the year, then it is issued...If a principal does not ask for it early, he or she wont get it later...it is a really poor system..

Budgets-Athletic in this case-can be shuffled around regardless of what the site-based committee does--it is approved by the board after the fact. This appears to be someone with an ax to grind or just plain incompetence--whatever the case it is disgraceful

Guest DickVitale

What's pitiful, DV, is that your Dad and a former coach had to catch the slack.  Don't these kids have parents who could help out.  I would, if it was my kid.

No way...The first call was to Jackie Carr, and HE called my dad, and they did what they had to do...They were both glad to help..That is what they have ALWAYS done their entire careers...help kids...Parents? The ones that ARE active probably did not have the means to help...Dad said he was glad to do it, though....He was disappointed in the district, but, glad he could help those kids.

Guest DickVitale

HISD must be a joke!

The district itself has LOTS of money, they just have a very poor site based management system in place...It makes NO sense at all..How do you budget in a state tournament trip for basketball in JULY? I guarantee NO principal asked for that allottment of money for their budget...When they asked the athletic administration, the only response was that it was "out of their hands". Keep in mind that the UIL covered some expenses too..That is just awful...What DID HISD cover? pitiful. :(

We all know if it were less colorful that this would not have happened!

Inner city kids have no support and you all wonder why they go astray!!!!  If they had the support of the community this would not have happenned...  I thought that lady counsilman had more pull than that... Maybe she is just talking...

Inner city kids have no support and you all wonder why they go astray!!!!  If they had the support of the community this would not have happenned...  I thought that lady counsilman had more pull than that... Maybe she is just talking...

I doubt the school decided because they were "colorful" to run out of money.  Gimme a break.  ::)

::)

but of course ...........

Does the school athletic program have a booster club?  Seems like the administration should have seen this coming a lot sooner, maybe the boosters could have helped out.  Regardless,  it is good to hear about these two good Samartians.  Bless them for their generosity.

Guest DickVitale

It's just poor planning on the part of the district...Actually, as I said its the SYSTEM thats to blame more than anything..Site Based Management is a disaster..

but of course ...........

I mean Hey ;) ....  Purple is a loud collr!!!  ;D :-\

Maybe they did need some extra $$ to get to Austin...but usually there is a budget for each sport, including basketball...If the playoffs or state tourney is ultimately achieved, then the A.D. will then go to the supplemental budget to cover expenses..Sounds like here the A.D. did not do his job and therefore there was no supp. budget for the basketball program to use during the playoff run..poor planning, and possibly a little selfishness by someone, who in turn, used the $$$ themselves for another part of the athletic program...

This is really hard to believe tha the Wheatley community didnot step up and financially support their team. I can almost bet that the word didnot get around to the community. I'm on a mailing list with former Wheatley alums and nothing was mentioned on the list.

Guest DickVitale

Call the big guy, DOVE...HE will tell you all about it..I was floored when he told me.. :o..It WAS a last minute situation, from my understanding, so how COULD the community hear about it?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami