Coach Assaulted By Father

KFDM COOP

MIDWEST CITY — Preston coach Mickey Duncan was assaulted by the father of a Preston player Thursday night following the team's first-round victory at the Class A girls state basketball tournament at Carl Albert High School.

Duncan suffered a broken elbow in the altercation. The player's father, who was said to be upset that his daughter was not in the starting lineup, was arrested by Midwest City Police.

"I'm all right,†said Duncan, whose arm was in a makeshift sling formed from a long-sleeved shirt. "We're trying to win a state championship. That's all that matters.â€

Preston, 28-1 and ranked No. 1 in Class A, defeated Crowder, 76-46. The Preston player whose father assaulted Duncan did not score in the game. Her name was not released since she is a minor.

First-round state tournament games have not been good for Duncan the past two years. His team won in each case, but this is the second straight year Preston's quarterfinal game was accompanied by unfortunate off-court drama. A year ago, in a first-round game at Midwest City High School, Duncan's then-3-year-old daughter fell from the vaulted bleachers at Sutton Field House. The fall caused a head injury that required Duncan and his wife to stay up all night at the emergency room.

Duncan's team won the Class 2A state championship in 2006 and was 2A runner-up in 2007. Preston will face Fort Cobb-Broxton in a 4:30 p.m. semifinal today at State Fair Arena.

All I can say is WOW!  Truly sad and embarrassing, especially for his daughter.

Wasn't there an incident several years ago in football (maybe during or after a practice or something?  you know, I love sports as much as the next person, but I just can't imagine.

Here all this time I thought that this was all about the the kids... :o

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83