HOUSTON YATES # 6 IN THE NATION

CATMAN

Guest DickVitale

Congrats to Yates for being in a meaningless poll....Congratulations.  ::)..Man I can't WAIT to see you guys reactions around mid to late February....Cannot WAIT!! ;D

Guest DickVitale

Well it is really NOT a good thing for the kids to buy into, especially since they are not USED to that kind of pressure. Yates has never been a traditional powerhouse in basketball. Every now and then they may get a special player or two and they will be good, but football is STILL their thing over there, so this to shall pass..They went to state in 1983, and lost in the semis...When the playoffs start, the pressure will mount and then...POOF!! it will be all over....Just watch.. ;)

Well it is really NOT a good thing for the kids to buy into, especially since they are not USED to that kind of pressure. Yates has never been a traditional powerhouse in basketball. Every now and then they may get a special player or two and they will be good, but football is STILL their thing over there, so this to shall pass..They went to state in 1983, and lost in the semis...When the playoffs start, the pressure will mount and then...POOF!! it will be all over....Just watch.. ;)

That '83 Yates team is the team I use as an example when there I am in a debate between talent and coaching. That team had arguably the most talent of any team in the state that year. Five D-1 players with two of them being pretty special, Ricky and Carl. They were beaten in the semis by a Ft. Worth Paschal team that was good, but couldn't come close to the talent Yates had. What Paschal had was great coaching. Paschal's tallest player was '6"3 and the rest were '6"0 or smaller. Yates started '6"2, '6"2, '6"5, '6"8,and '6"9 with Ricky being the '6"8 and playing alot at point. They should have killed that team. Paschal packed it in a zone, forced Yates to shoot from outside therefore exposing their weakness, they couldn't shoot. Also, Paschal pressed heavily showing that Yates really didn't have a true point guard on the team, creating many turnovers. It looked like the Yates coach just sat back and said " You guys are the talent, go win it". It was embarassing.

Guest DickVitale

So, Ag, you totally understand what I was saying....Thats what you get in Houston in MOST cases...There were some good ones through the years, don't get me wrong, but for the most part, especially now, coaching in HISD is lacking...

So, Ag, you totally understand what I was saying....Thats what you get in Houston in MOST cases...There were some good ones through the years, don't get me wrong, but for the most part, especially now, coaching in HISD is lacking...

Yes I do agree with you for the most part. It seems that when a HISD team does win a state championship it's mostly from the fact that they had a overwhelming abundance of talent over their opponents. There have been a few exceptions. One that comes to mind was the '78 Wheatley team. The two teams they faced in the semis and finals were more talented, but Jackie Carr got the most out of that team and won. I do admit he was very lucky in the finals, but that game showed what poor coaching San Antonio Fox Tech had. I mean, you are up by 1 with 1 second on the clock. Your team is shooting 2 freethrows and Wheatley has no timeouts left. Why on earth do you put 2 of your players on the lane to rebound the miss if it happens? The Fox Tech player missed both freethrows and on the rebound of the second miss a Fox Tech player fouled a Wheatley player as the buzzer sounded. The Wheatley player went down to the other end and made both freethrows with no time on the clock to win 84-83. How stupid a coaching job is that?

Guest DickVitale

I remember that...I think that showed his AGE more than lack of coaching...He needed some good assistants to nudge him on that one! When Bob Hughes, Jr. was his assistant he said that it added 10 years to his career, back in 2001 when we beat Wheatley in the regional finals. My dad and Jackie Carr (Wheatley), and Boyce Honea (Milby), were the pillars in HISD for years. Dad retired last year, Carr in 2002, and Honea in 2004..Darryl Glenn from Furr is a HELL of coach..He beats people with NOTHING every year, and he is still there.  If he were at a school with some talent you would see something...There's not much after that.

Congrats to Yates for being in a meaningless poll....Congratulations.  ::)..Man I can't WAIT to see you guys reactions around mid to late February....Cannot WAIT!! ;D

Just accept it Diaper Dandy....Yates is better that Ozen, just admit it. Everyone else knows and has accepted it, except for you.....don't be so stubborn. And how exactly is this a meaningless poll?

Guest DickVitale

That's YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it, but, just wait....Everyone will see what I am talking about...They can be better in you guys eyes..That is about as meaningless as the polls that people on here worship...How can the USA Today rate teams that they NEVER see based on record and reputation?...Yates beat HOUSTON AUSTIN by 100 points...Odom could beat Houston Austin, but USA Today does not know that...That is for fans to debate about...Thats it...It means NOTHING..

Hey-yyyy wait a minute! I'm a HISD product and played for Frankie Brazos and.......... ;)  There was always good talent and some very dedicated hard working coaches back in HISD back then.

I hope you are wrong about Yates, I'd love to have some bragging rights this year over Ozen. But don't get me wrong, I like Ozen, but yates and Wheatley hold a special place in my heart.

Guest DickVitale

I said NOW, HISD coaching is lacking...Coach Brazos was definitely one of the great ones, God rest his soul.  He was like a father to my father; heck HE is the real reason my dad left Madison to end his career at Kashmere at Coach Brazos' request!! MY career started in HISD at Kashmere...We ran a first class program over there, and won some games in the process...Yates has a good team, there is no doubt about that..I was saying that there are other factors that come into play once the playoffs begin..I too am an HISD product (Madison), but the coaching in HISD has definitely become sub par...fact...sad, but true.

I said NOW, HISD coaching is lacking...Coach Brazos was definitely one of the great ones, God rest his soul.  He was like a father to my father; heck HE is the real reason my dad left Madison to end his career at Kashmere at Coach Brazos' request!! MY career started in HISD at Kashmere...We ran a first class program over there, and won some games in the process...Yates has a good team, there is no doubt about that..I was saying that there are other factors that come into play once the playoffs begin..I too am an HISD product (Madison), but the coaching in HISD has definitely become sub par...fact...sad, but true.

I guess we could start a new thread on Frankie B. But it really saddens me to see players today who don't have the basic basketball foundation today to be successful. The man was master of the game. For example, a simple pass down the court to the open man on a fast break. Frankie B taught it or your tail was his if you didn't follow his rules of the game.

Guest DickVitale

TRUE STORY...My sophomore year we were playing against Kashmere in the semis of the Ft. Worth Dr. Pepper Tourney, and walking out of the dressing room after halftime HE walked up to me, the OPPOSING player and said, "Boy, you shoot the ball too well to pass up the shots you are passing up! I know your daddy told you to put it up, didnt he? I know you are a just 10th grader, but you better start shooting more or we are gonna fool around and upset yall, and it will be all on YOU.." I was 6 of 7 from 3 in the second half and finished with 24 points in the win. "After the game he walked to my dad and told him,"That boy would average 30 for me, you need to send him to Kashmere, you don't know how to coach that boy!" and they both burst into laughter...Classic..Loved Coach Brazos!!

TRUE STORY...My sophomore year we were playing against Kashmere in the semis of the Ft. Worth Dr. Pepper Tourney, and walking out of the dressing room after halftime HE walked up to me, the OPPOSING player and said, "Boy, you shoot the ball too well to pass up the shots you are passing up! I know your daddy told you to put it up, didnt he? I know you are a just 10th grader, but you better start shooting more or we are gonna fool around and upset yall, and it will be all on YOU.." I was 6 of 7 from 3 in the second half and finished with 24 points in the win. "After the game he walked to my dad and told him,"That boy would average 30 for me, you need to send him to Kashmere, you don't know how to coach that boy!" and they both burst into laughter...Classic..Loved Coach Brazos!!

Ah Dick! Now this is a true story,  I saw you play in high school! When did you ever pass up a shot ??? ;D

Guest DickVitale

Hey, I did what my coach told me to do!! I was more passive my freshman and sophomore years, playing varsity ball as a young pup...But, you are right, I let it fly my junior and senior years! Can't deny that!  ;D

That's YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it, but, just wait....Everyone will see what I am talking about...They can be better in you guys eyes..That is about as meaningless as the polls that people on here worship...How can the USA Today rate teams that they NEVER see based on record and reputation?...Yates beat HOUSTON AUSTIN by 100 points...Odom could beat Houston Austin, but USA Today does not know that...That is for fans to debate about...Thats it...It means NOTHING..

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You're gonna trip over your own pride Diaper Dandy when Yates takes it all come March.  ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Guest DickVitale

::)...waiting patiently. ::) ::) ::)...I cant wait to hear the excuses by some of these overnight Yates fans!...I will bet most of you cheering on the Yates bandwagon have never even BEEN there before!!...Matter of fact don't even know where it IS!! JUST WAIT AND SEE!! ;)...USA Today ranking means diddley squat!! (is that a word? :D)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124