Just wishing Lamar Main Campus BMT. would add Softball

KFDM COOP

From Member East Tx.

Just wishing Lamar Main Campus BMT. would add Softball

I see that tons of money will go into retro-fitting the old football stadium for football.  I would hope that in keeping with the spirit of  Title IX that this would be a good time to institute a 4 year softball program also.

Anyone know who to contact?  Some of us have tried all of our contacts, to no avail? 

Guest coachacola

I think they have to start a softball program if they bring back football so after the students vote for football next month then we'll hear an announcement about softball.  Lamar probably started women's soccer before softball because they don't have a softball field.  I believe a soccer/softball complex is planned for the area next to Vincent-Beck and will be built in the next few years.

According to original plans, Lamar will start Softball in Spring '09 playing at Ford Park.  I haven't heard anything about it in a while, and I would think that's impossible now (recruiting should have already started for '09).  Even so, Lamar Softball is certainly in the plans.

yEP, thats what I heard from "horse's mouth" about two years ago. It makes sense. Maybe the recruiting won't be so difficult the first season. I'm sure there are plenty of local talent around to fill up a team.

Ha i think it's mainly who wants to take over a 2nd program who didn't manage to win 1 game in their first season.

mffl, that is no joke! If I remember correctly they only scored two goals all season. That said, I think some young coach would love the opportunity to coach at Lamar. Build the program from the ground up without any real pressure to win soon. I have a cousin who graduated from Texas A&M who is at a high school in the Houston area who coaches soccer.

Lamar should hire a coach from Brazile.

Title IX played a large part in the cancelling of football due to the additional costs of the athletes.  However, it apparently isn't going away so I'm sure we'll have to have a softball team and the $100/yr of revenue it will generate (I'm sure soccer doesn't generate much more revenue either).

Title IX played a large part in the cancelling of football due to the additional costs of the athletes.  However, it apparently isn't going away so I'm sure we'll have to have a softball team and the $100/yr of revenue it will generate (I'm sure soccer doesn't generate much more revenue either).

Greed and stupidity canceled football. I was attending Lamar when it was canceled. Mysterious fires, murder, instructor/student sex, and rape at LU that year.

They canceled football then gave themselves a pay raise.

• 2 weeks later...

Greed and stupidity canceled football. I was attending Lamar when it was canceled. Mysterious fires, murder, instructor/student sex, and rape at LU that year.

I was too.  I don't exactly know what the murder,  instructor/student sex, or fire had to do with the football program?  Don't know anything about the rape??? 

Wouldn't be surprised if they gave themselves a raise.

I was too.  I don't exactly know what the murder,  instructor/student sex, or fire had to do with the football program?  Don't know anything about the rape??? 

Wouldn't be surprised if they gave themselves a raise.

It was the atomosphere of corruption and mistrust. Do you remember the big fire?  I'm sure it was a accident but everyone I talked

too said Lamar set that fire to collect on the insurance. Not a very trusting place to be.

Guest coachacola

Didn't the Lamar University System start having problems at that time too?  I'm guessing between the bad economy of the area back then and the financial problems at Lamar that's why they first cancelled football then left the Sunbelt.  It appears the Texas State University System has really helped Lamar, and with the economy booming again and enrollment increasing, supporting football and softball shouldn't be a problem.

I have noticed that Lamar's athletic budget is still under $5 million a year, which is very low.  SHSU's budget is over $7 million, Texas State's over $10 million.  What will be Lamar's budget in 2010 with football?

Guest roberthollister

They added soccer.  Doesn't that suffice for Title IX?  First things first, the vote on the referendum should pass.  Once football comes back, the university will have more latitude as to where the extra funds will go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics