30 Years Ago....

Either this weekend or the previous weekend.

The state 4A championship game was played in front of a record 49,500 fans in Texas Stadium featuring PN-G vs Plano.

I vividly remember the game, never been back to Texas Stadium since, it is a "poor man's" astrodome.

PN-G was in the shaded side and boy was it COLD!

I also remember my dad breaking down and getting a CB for the trip.

We were the 4 Aces from Port Neches.

Funny how you remember things like this...

Any one else on the forum "old" enough to remember that weekend.

I couldn't find the date on the game, but I know it was around this time.

It is kind of amazing that the attendance record has never been broken, not even closely challenged.

With the 5A championship being televised, that is a record that may never get broken.

The first state final game that I attended was in 1975

when PNG played Odessa Permian:

BI-DISTRICT:

Port Neches-Groves 6, Beaumont French 2

REGIONALS: Port Neches-Groves 32, South Houston 7

QUARTERFINALS: Port Neches-Groves 27, Houston Kashmere 19

SEMIFINALS: Port Neches-Groves 28, San Antonio Lee 0

FINALS: Port Neches-Groves 20, Odessa Permian 10

Lets see I was 16 when this happened

My brother and I went to the game in his VW Rabbit - We filled up before we left and on the way back stopped in Huntsville at McD. While eating he mentioned that he we needed to fill up with gas. Well we both forgot until it ran out right in front of the Goodyear plant. That was some driving on one tank of gas. All the way there and a few miles shy of all the back.

I was at both of the PNG championship games in Texas stadium. One of them had the seats full of dust from a west Texas dust storm but I don't remember if it was for the Odessa game or the Plano game. In the Odessa game in 1975 Ritchie Ethridge threw a 59 yard pass and completion. The ball actually traveled 61 yards in the air. The receiver fell as soon as he caught the ball. In the Plano game coach Ethridge's other son muffed a punt that Plano recovered and later scored a touchdown on it. They won the game 13 - 10. Oh, by the way I was 29 for the Plano game.

Yep! I remember that '75 PNG run.  My brother played for BMT. FRENCH and the lost 6-2 at TJ Stadium! French had a good team and a few others in that district.  That's when SE TX was truely the Football Capital of the WORLD!

My brother was a BLUE CHIP ALL AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL recruit!  He was an awsome player at offensive tackle!  Died of CANCER 4 yrs ago, it was a sad day for my FAMILY!  Watching some of these High School Playoffs games this year has brought back alot of memories!

Yep! I remember that '75 PNG run.  My brother played for BMT. FRENCH and the lost 6-2 at TJ Stadium! French had a good team and a few others in that district.  That's when SE TX was truely the Football Capital of the WORLD!

My brother was a BLUE CHIP ALL AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL recruit!  He was an awsome player at offensive tackle!  Died of CANCER 4 yrs ago, it was a sad day for my FAMILY!  Watching some of these High School Playoffs games this year has brought back alot of memories!

Wouldn't it be AWEsome to use the current playoff scheme back in the 70's.

The 4A Beaumont district could have very easily won state in the big school bracket plus the small school bracket.

It is simply amazing the PN-G ran the table for 4 years in that district without losing a game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124