**SETXsports Girls Basketball Rankings (week of Dec. 9th)**

Cat22

You are no idiot LUFAN???.....that's debateable!!  and what exactly is your profession???  And how many of Coach Smith's practices have you attended???  People amaze me.......everyone thinks they are a coach.  For God's sake, this is the man's profession.  I know Coach Smith.  He IS first class and he does an excellent job.  Get off his case.  I don't see him critqueing your profession.

What is he doing right? You tell me. I may not be a coach, (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night) but I really don't think you are either. I don't have to go to practice to see the lack of preparation in his teams. That is what I am basing it on. Also, I would like to say one thing, me being an  is not likely. It is more likely that you are an  I am only giving my opinion on his performance, we may not agree but until you show some basketball prowess keep the personal bashing to a minimum. Also he is a public figure and should be ready for some criticism. If he can not take it he needs to quit his job. Just a thought, but if Nederland's football team had back to back losing seasons was getting blown out, I am sure people would be criticizing the coach at there also. Also I am not trying to coach his team, I am merely speaking on what I see. This is a message board about girls basketball and that is what I am giving my opinion on.

Guest bleed orange

Here is the deal. Nederland and PNG are all about volleyball and softball. Those girls play on select teams year round. How many basketball players play select year round? Again it is not the coaches fault. He could be the best coach in Texas and the results will be the same. Do you honestly believe that Orangefield has more talent than Nederland? We teach our kids fundamentals and that is the key. Our young kids practice consist of nothing but fundamentals(5-8 year olds). The problem is, and even at Orangefield, coaches tend to work more on plays than fundamentals. If a high school kid dribbles with their head down, they were not taught the correct fundamentals. The coaches in the youth league need to sit down together and say, it's not all about winning in  league play. We need to teach our kids fundamentals first, offensive plays last. Not every coach is knowlegdeable about basketball. Its hard to get enough coaches to begin with. We have to pull them out of the stands on the day of tryouts and the ones that do I applaud them. If you are not knowlegdeable about basketball, buy a book. There are a lot of them out there with plenty of fundamental drills.

You are right, but they need to be in positions to make those plays. Yes with there size they should push the ball, but not 1v3 or 1v4 situations. That causes players to be out of position and opens up the other teams fast break. You should not shoot 15 to 20 3's when you shoot maybe a 20% from 3 land. If you are small you should set up your offense and drive to the hoop hard and pick up the fouls to neutralize the other teams size. You should press, but you need to make sure that you are not getting burned on every play. A half court trap would have the similar effect of the press and keep the other teams fast breaks to a minimum.  For someone who thinks they know basketball, you sure do not seem to. You want to talk basketball. I know more than you think you know.

I personally could care less how much you know about basketball. YOU do not coach the NEDERLAND GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM and so what YOU have to say about the coach and players really has no meaning expect to take up space on a computer website. Have the guts to post your name, hang around the game afterwards and talk strategy with Coach Smith or us parents. By the way, from what I'm hearing in the parent section Coach Smith has and will always have 100% of our support. The guy coaches a great game plan, the girls are on the edge of having a playoff caliber team. Give it a few more games and let's see what happens, until then keep hiding behind your keyboard and stirring up the girls, cause it's comments like what you make that makes them want to play even harder. Remember who they play for, NEDERLAND and Coach SMITH!!!!! Again, who freaking cares about how much you know, Support and Shut UP!

Guest bleed orange

Coop and the guys, there is not alot of bashing going on. Do not delete this thread. If you want to delete something than maybe a post. There is healthy conversation going on, not much bashing. I have seen alot worse.

What is he doing right? You tell me. I may not be a coach, (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night) but I really don't think you are either. I don't have to go to practice to see the lack of preparation in his teams. That is what I am basing it on. Also, I would like to say one thing, me being an  is not likely. It is more likely that you are an  I am only giving my opinion on his performance, we may not agree but until you show some basketball prowess keep the personal bashing to a minimum. Also he is a public figure and should be ready for some criticism. If he can not take it he needs to quit his job. Just a thought, but if Nederland's football team had back to back losing seasons was getting blown out, I am sure people would be criticizing the coach at there also. Also I am not trying to coach his team, I am merely speaking on what I see. This is a message board about girls basketball and that is what I am giving my opinion on.

Right you ask? Hang around after a game and I'll break it down for you!!!!I will go slow so you can grasp the entire concept. One more hint, Coach Smith is a Coach by profession, so I believe he can take it. His skin is much thicker than someones who hides behind a keyboard and talks crap. One more thing, I'm not calling anyone names on this board, never have, but I can say this, LUFAN IS NOT A COACH!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLOLOL ;)

Mr. Mosley, first off. again, I am not bashing any of the girls. I am just pointing out some basic flaws that almost anyone who has been around the game of basketball knows. As I have said, at this point he is not putting the girls in a good position to win games much the way others have stated about Coach Roc with Lamar. 2nd you would not have to break anything down slowly. I do support the team I only call into question things that are visibly wrong. I believe that these girls could make the playoffs with some tweaks to their game plan. You are right I am not the coach, but I am a fan who has the right to criticize the coach for having an unprepared team (which is the coaches fault). I do have to say that your daughter has been picking up her game as of late. Again I am not faulting any of the girls on the team, it is the system. But your son is the perfect example, he was brought up in a good system and look where he has ended up. I believe that these girls have been short changed in this system. Maybe Coach Smith is the answer maybe not we will find out in the future. The whole point of these posts were to stir up some kind of fire and conversation as girls basketball is not a well followed sport at Nederland. Again, I am not trying to offend any players or say any bad things about the kids playing the sport as these kids are doing the best they can and they are the ones that are putting themselves out there. I am not insulting your kids or you so if you please quit trying to insult me.

Guest bleed orange

I should not be in this fight. You guys are missing the big picture. I am impressed with the progress Nederland has made with their girls basketball program. I have seen them play several times. The coach over there is doing a great job. Again it starts at the younger ages. Teach them the fundamentals they need and success will come. Give it time. Nederlands little dribbler program has not been around very long. I see a change and I see a change with PNG also for the good. It takes time.

I completely agree with you orange. It is not the fact that I do not think that the program is going in the wrong direction. He may not be a bad coach but he is going through his learning phase. Can we all not agree to that?  I as a fan am calling into questions some of his choices. Does that mean he is a bad coach? No. Again we have these kinds of conversations on the other boards all of the time.

Mr. Mosley I want you to look back. Do you remember PATITAN and all of the crap he spewed about your boy. I gave him so much hell for the crap that he talked on your kid. You should look at those things before you start getting all worked up. 

Guest bleed orange

I agree LUfan. He is young. He will get better with age. Coach Ancelot did. She matured every year she was at Orangefield. It takes time and time is something we have alot of. It is different for us at Orangefield because we are so small. Kids play everything, they have to. Nederland has way more kids but their best athlete's should play everything. There is alot of girls that play volleyball (Tall kids) that don't play basketball. The same with PNG and LCM. I don't know why they don't play both. They should. All of our girls play both. But then again we have to. I am not saying the girls who play basketball are not good athletes because they are. Its just that other sports seem to be more important than others. Thats just my observation. Its sad but it happens at every school. The girls take a back seat to the boys and to be honest with you the girls work harder and are more aggressive than the boys. The girls play defense.

Mr. Mosley, first off. again, I am not bashing any of the girls. I am just pointing out some basic flaws that almost anyone who has been around the game of basketball knows. As I have said, at this point he is not putting the girls in a good position to win games much the way others have stated about Coach Roc with Lamar. 2nd you would not have to break anything down slowly. I do support the team I only call into question things that are visibly wrong. I believe that these girls could make the playoffs with some tweaks to their game plan. You are right I am not the coach, but I am a fan who has the right to criticize the coach for having an unprepared team (which is the coaches fault). I do have to say that your daughter has been picking up her game as of late. Again I am not faulting any of the girls on the team, it is the system. But your son is the perfect example, he was brought up in a good system and look where he has ended up. I believe that these girls have been short changed in this system. Maybe Coach Smith is the answer maybe not we will find out in the future. The whole point of these posts were to stir up some kind of fire and conversation as girls basketball is not a well followed sport at Nederland. Again, I am not trying to offend any players or say any bad things about the kids playing the sport as these kids are doing the best they can and they are the ones that are putting themselves out there. I am not insulting your kids or you so if you please quit trying to insult me.

Who is insulting who. Quit trying to insult you, man you got some thin skin dude, YOU could never make it as a REAL Coach with skin that thin. I'm not insulting you just sticking up for something I believe in and you are sticking up for something you believe in. You are right, you are a fan and you have the right to come on this board and talk about the Coach and the girls but be prepared to be attacked when we talk back in defense of OUR COACH and Girls. If you can't take the insults SHUT UP. You want to come on this board and talk bad about how the Coach does not have his players ready, be ready to be told you are an idiot. Like I said before, come sit yourself down next to me at a game and break down just where, when, and how it could be better. Oh wait, you can't do that!!!!Being brought up in a good system is a perfect example you brought out, truth is the player has got to want to lay it on the line for his or her team mates and do all he or she can for their COACH, if they believe in their team mates and will go to battle for their leader, that is what gets a person to the next level, not just the good program. These girls lay in on the line for each other and they play hard for their COACH, do us all a favor and just be a fan.....

I completely agree with you orange. It is not the fact that I do not think that the program is going in the wrong direction. He may not be a bad coach but he is going through his learning phase. Can we all not agree to that?  I as a fan am calling into questions some of his choices. Does that mean he is a bad coach? No. Again we have these kinds of conversations on the other boards all of the time.

Mr. Mosley I want you to look back. Do you remember PATITAN and all of the crap he spewed about your boy. I gave him so much heck for the crap that he talked on your kid. You should look at those things before you start getting all worked up. 

This is basketball and has nothing to do with football. I'm proud of my daughter and her team so anything negative I wear on my sleeve. You talk about our Coach and I defend him with just as much passion as you do against him. There is no difference between the two. You chose to call out the bad stuff I chose to praise the good stuff. I have read some of your post on Friday Night Experience message board about how you were glad Nederland's former boys coach, Coach Williams, was gone and how he should have left a long time ago. I guess I don't know much about basketball because I thought the man did a great job with what he had to work with and being in the caliber district he coached in. Seems you have a pattern for not liking coaching. Again, Thanks for backing against patitan, try to back our girls and coach and give it a chance to progress into something Nederland can be proud of. Again, sit down next to me, introduce yourself, and let's discuss the game as it plays out. From my view point the coaching has not been the problem. LUFAN check your pm messages I sent you something I didn't want all the others to read......LOL

At the moment Memorial is 2-0 is district..they have 5 returning players from last season consisiting of 8 seniors and 6 juniors..3 seniors or starting (amber kinlaw,kandice smith and khristian sampson)..the other 2 or juniors sasha charles and Katherine Henderson (kat)..Kat played for Baytown Lee last season.Amber Kinlaw,Kat Henderson and Kandice Smith each hit Double figures ever game..Tuesday against Baytown Lee Herderson had 23 and i believe Smith put up at least 20...Charles has really stepped up from last here hittin an average of 9-12 points a game..Kinlaw is ther best three point shooter and can knock it down from anywhere on the court..This year they have a GREAT defense and speed..they have beatin Good teams and have lost games they shouldnt have lost..but they are expected to be 22-54 District Champs this year..so yes they or a force to b reckoned with and they will b for at least the next 5-10 yrs..

Well said Mr. Mosely!!!  I just wonder how LUFAN would respond if someone came to his work and tried to tell him how to do HIS job!

I never had much respect for people who hide behind keyboards and down a coach or player for doing his or her job. Coach Smith has a life passion to be a coach, the people who dump on a coach behind a keyboard and talk about how much THEY THINK THEY KNOW about the game or usually not someone who could ever BE A COACH. They often get offended first time someone challenges them to what they are saying....That is not a good quality to have if you think of yourself as being someone who could LEAD a TEAM in battle. This is not all directed at LUFAN either, I think LUFAN is a fan of the game just not of our Coach.....He has his right to bash we have our right to fight back.....Go girls take care of our friendly purple people tonight. Take that back, GO KICK SOME BUTT!!!

I totally agree.  I think it is admirable of you to stand up for your coach and players.  Bashing the coach serves no purpose whatsoever other than to be detrimental to a team.  It is evident these girls respect their coach and work hard.  I have known Coach Smith for years.  He is a fine young man and as you say, has a passion for the game.  He IS doing a fine job.  Even though I am not from Nederland, and contrary to what LUFAN may think, I DO have knowledge and experience when it comes to coaching basketball, I felt the need to defend Coach Smith as well. 

Its not hiding behind a keyboard.  I mean honestly if he were to tell the coach who he is it COULD effect things between people its better to "hide" so it won't cause anything more than a heated argument on a message board.  We all have our opinions, I wasn't a big Ancelot fan, but I supported our team no matter what.  Its ok to not think the same as everyone else.   

Its not hiding behind a keyboard.  I mean honestly if he were to tell the coach who he is it COULD effect things between people its better to "hide" so it won't cause anything more than a heated argument on a message board.  We all have our opinions, I wasn't a big Ancelot fan, but I supported our team no matter what.  Its ok to not think the same as everyone else.   

No it's hiding or it's a sign of a very insecure person...Bashing a coach or player behind a keyboard is horsepucky! I stole that name from a fellow poster!LOL

i have been reading these comments, bleedorange i agree with you 100%.  everthing starts with fundamentals, i see what Coach Baker has to deal with up here with the expectations of others.  He like coach Smith is doing a great job.  coaches work with what they have, and when you have a good feeder program such as little dribblers it helps.  to me these programs are essential for the future of Jr. high programs, and high school.  sometimes we want the coach to make gold out of brass.  some programs are light years behind.  i see where students go to junior high and sign up for athletics to play basketball, and they never played before.  then the coach has to deal with parents who never invested one summer, or signed their kid up for little dribblers programs, but expects the coach to take their kid and make a superstar.  Its not going to happen, I like what our coach is doing in Jasper, they won 1 game last, but we believe that he has what it takes to build a good program, and we see the results already this year.  the team doesn't have a winning record this year, but he has them at 5 - 8, they recently won the last tournament they played in.  All i'm saying is that rome wasn't built in one day!

Just like in Nederland, in Jasper girls Basketball isn't tops, but there is some excitement stirring. I can say this and I believe this with my whole heart, If parents would take the time to invest in developing their kids through the various camps that go on around the area, and if you have a kid with special skills then make sure that the skills become enhanced through the different camps, so that high school programs can become what everyone in their communities expects them to become.  I think that Coach Smith is doing a fine Job, guys just be patient, we'll be patient here in Jasper, because we have a fine coach who is working with our girls to make them winners.

Guest bleed orange

Good post "Luvdgame07". I too think coach Baker is doing a fine job. If you compare last year to this year, its like night and day. You guys better hang on to him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn