Running up the score?

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

Running up the score

This is a hypothetical question and is not based on any specific game or team.

A highschool team is winning big in the 4th qtr and has pulled their starters and has still driven the ball deep in the red zone. If they come up to a 4th down, would you prefer that they take a chip shot field goal for 3 easy points or run a play and give the other team a chance to stop them with no points?

Also, would your answer change if the teams were college or NFL?

I would think in the NFL a team with a big lead would still kick the FG......depending on time left on the clock

College-and points-and-the BCS!?!? = Who knows!! 

HS.......I think you kick a FG.....sometimes those 27yrd FG try's are no 'sure thing' either...lol

IMOO......up big you have two chices......4th and short you run for the first to try to keep the ball in your hands, then you sit on it for the next four, running the clock down......or you take the FG attempt and put the ball back in the other teams hands to deal with.........One thing I could never ask an athlete to do is slow up.....that shouldn't be encouraged ........furthermore, that's when needless injurys can happen.....

a third.....their is always the option of nealing it on fourth down, turning the ball over to the other team.......then their are some who would say that's worse then scoring.....lol

It is not the offenses' job to stop themselves.  If the defense wants the offense to stop scoring then do something about it.  I personally think it is much more disrespectful "slowing up", then it is to "run it up".  I know I would not want somebody "taking it easy" on me.  I would just assume you come full speed at least just out of pride.  I do not need you to "baby" me.

But to answer the question.. I would go for it.  Even if you do not get the first down, you have the other team pinned deep in their own side of the field.  Whats three points when you are up big anyway? 

It is not the offenses' job to stop themselves.  If the defense wants the offense to stop scoring then do something about it.  I personally think it is much more disrespectful "slowing up", then it is to "run it up".  I know I would not want somebody "taking it easy" on me.  I would just assume you come full speed at least just out of pride.  I do not need you to "baby" me.

i agree

Running up the score

A highschool team is winning big in the 4th qtr and has pulled their starters and has still driven the ball deep in the red zone. If they come up to a 4th down, would you prefer that they take a chip shot field goal for 3 easy points or run a play and give the other team a chance to stop them with no points?

Wat should it matter to you??? Kelly's football season is over. Their hyped up overrated season has come to an end. Time for the Bulldogs to bust out the Basketballs.

Running up the score

What happened to sportsmanship?

I understand what you're trying to say with all of the "if they can't stop us"...yada yada, but that's lame and shows lack of character.  If you really feel that way why would have your starters out of the game anyway as in the scenerio above?

Guest FPHS 78

Wat should it matter to you??? Kelly's football season is over. Their hyped up overrated season has come to an end. Time for the Bulldogs to bust out the Basketballs.

u kan almoste spell...u must a be a grajuate..lumpy's time is a coming..

It depends how late in the game it is. If there's a minute left, you just kneel it. If there are five plus, work on whatever you need to work on. If the kicking game is weak, try a field goal. If the passing game is weak, put the starters in and pretend you're in the playoffs, down six, with three seconds on the clock. I'd certainly make no effort to not score. If anything, you're looking out for your own interests. Yes, it might rub a few people the wrong way. Unfortunately, it's not in a coach's job description to help maintain the self esteem of rival fans, players or coaches. This is high school football in Texas. Giving every kid a chance to play goes out the window after middle school. So does mercy. If your team is perfect and you have the luxury of being indisputably better than every other team in the state, then kneel away. But if you realize that down the road - in a week or in six weeks - you're going to face someone much better than the current opponent, probably better than you are at that point. If we were out to preserve feelings, we wouldn't keep score.

Guest FPHS 78

Running up the score

they are 16,17,18 year olds......run the fullback up the gut..no need to pass or kick a field goal..gotta remember what comes around goes around..some day it may be youre team getting smacked..win with class

college, bcs points and all. ???

pro? same as high school

Mr. Smack,

I believe KELLY FOOTBALL knows the season is over for Kelly.  He is asking a "hypothetical question" about football.

Why do you have to be such an a**!?      ???

BTW, KELLY FOOTBALL, I believe if the game is close to the end then you take a knee.  If it is not close to the end, you run the ball, but don't put any more points on the board by kicking a field goal.  It is obviously something Mr. 'Beli-cheat' doesn't know in New England.

Running up the score

you're probably talking about the patriots last week right? lol and it just depends if it's regular season or not? (highschool wise) because it goes down to points sometimes as to who gets in the playoffs, so sometimes the more points the better. and yes, i would do the exact opposite in college and in the NFL.

No, it wasn't a starting wr. It was #15, our kicker, getting some practice in as wr.

you are right. i was listening to the game...pulling for lumberton. who threw the ball??? could of swore it was dejohn. pull up the box score.

you are right. i was listening to the game...pulling for lumberton. who threw the ball??? could of swore it was dejohn. pull up the box score.

dejohn did throw it, but only cause our backup qb is our starting d-end. so we were trying to keep him healthy too. but all the recievers and running backs were backups.

PimpSmack,  why do you have to start crap all the time?  So what if he still wants to talk football?  THIS IS A FOOTBALL FORUM.  I'm sure you'll still be on here long after the last snap.  Give it a rest.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont