Here is a quote from a member of the local media

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

"Dawkins needs help...He's the best 3-pt shooter on the court and played, what, 39 minutes last night? Those 2 guards ate him up because they didn't carry the team 39 minutes like he did."

What game was he watching? Here is Kenny Dawkins stat line. 22 pts, 6 assists, 6 TO's (too many), 2 rebounds, 2 steals in 39 minutes.

The two guards for Wyoming Brad Jones #1 and Brandon Ewing #23 combined for 70 minutes, 30 points, 9 assist, 11 TO's, 8 rebounds and 4 steals.

In my opinion they hardly "ate him up". Now, I will say if Lamar Sanders played his typical game the Cardinals win this game and I don't read about how Lamar could not finish off the game, Lamar needs a new head coach or any of the other stuff people are saying about the Lamar University basketball program.

Lamar is 3 games into the regular season and some people are already jumping off the bandwagon. Wyoming and Ole Miss would be two of the best teams in the SLC. I'll take the losses for what they are. This team is still learning to play together.

I find it funny when someone knows all the answers to every sport played whether they involve coaching or playing but they aren't a coach and did not play any sport on the college level.

What sportswriter/media person wrote that statement abtr? I can see how someone could question a lot about the game but I've heard this young man is in great shape and I doubt his turnovers were due to fatigue. Maybe he played out of control a little but don't most junior college transfers take about a semester to get use to DI competition?

Guest abovetherim

Yeah, LJ I've heard from several great head coaches PG is the hardest position to play at the college level and the most important. Great thing about going back to school next semester, I'll get to know all the players a lot better than I do at the current time. I do have to give a shout out to Rook. His parents were at the game and he didn't play much but on the other hand there isn't too many guys who have a three year relationship with a girl who looks as good as his girlfriend. She is a sweetheart!

You know the local hangout for the athletes is the Shelia Umphrey Center. I'm so lucky, I don't even have to pay tuition as a former member of the armed services the state of Texas is paying for the hrs needed toward my masters degree.

At the next Cardinal Club luncheon, I'll ask Coach Roc about the demands of playing the PG position in college. Will that work for you LamarJunior?

Guest abovetherim

Well, in my opinion if you are a Lamar Cardinals fan this site does rule. However, I have a long way to go to get it to the level of the other forums on SETXsports.com. Only problem is next semester I'll be working full-time, going to school full-time, have a beautiful wife with 3 teenage kids and hoping this site will continue to grow. One thing about going back to school, I'll have the opportunity to meet people in a different setting and develop a few relationships along the way.

All I know is everyone in my section thinks Kenny Dawkins is the best PG at Lamar since Atiim Browne. I have no idea how good he was because I wasn't born yet.

He must have been pretty good because Dawkins is a great PG for any team in the SLC. If he was 4 inches taller he'd be playing for LSU, Texas, Texas Tech, Mississippi State, Ole Miss or some program like that.

Still haven't made a game but I've heard from several people Kenny Dawkins is a stud. I think he is the least of the worries for the basketball team. Personally, I'm a baseball guy and will definitely catch a few of them.

It isn't long now until we can start talking a lot about baseball. Who is the Lamar baseball expert on this forum?

Guest coachacola

I could be wrong, but my take on what that sportswriter/media person was saying is that because he didn't have much offensive support from his teammates, Kenny Dawkins was trying to do too much and as a result he had more TOs than normal.  DHop and Barrow had decent games, but Todd and Sanders didn't.

This was only Dawkins second game against D1 competition and he scores 22.  He will be playing great come conference time.  I think a lot of us "old-timers" are impatient and expect the team to win against top-notch competition right away.  Once Sanders, Brown and the others get on track, LU will have a great season.

Guest abovetherim

I could be wrong, but my take on what that sportswriter/media person was saying is that because he didn't have much offensive support from his teammates, Kenny Dawkins was trying to do too much and as a result he had more TOs than normal.  DHop and Barrow had decent games, but Todd and Sanders didn't.

This was only Dawkins second game against D1 competition and he scores 22.  He will be playing great come conference time.  I think a lot of us "old-timers" are impatient and expect the team to win against top-notch competition right away.  Once Sanders, Brown and the others get on track, LU will have a great season.

Probably right there coachacola. We do need more of a post game to be competitive against teams like Wyoming. I believe that is what Coach Roc was most disappointed in yesterday.

Lamar Sanders isn't a player with alot of offense. He gets most of points on putbacks and tip ins, plays close to the basket. However, we could not get to the basket, at all. We lack a post game. However, alot of teams do. Look at Sam Houston, they've never had much of a post game since Eddy Fobbs, and they're still good. We just need to learn to win with what we have... just give this time. I'm sure we'll start clicking before you know it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont