does anyone else smell a new rivalry?

One game does not a rivalry make. It will take four or five games like this year's game. I hate to use the term "one year wonder" like someone above, but I will say that while this year's Raider team has proven a lot, it will take several seasons to establish yourself as "turned around." Let's not forget similar two or three season runs by teams like LC-M (11-0 in 94), Ozen, Bridge City, etc. After a few years, KERPLUNK! I'm not saying that will happen, but before we deem something a "rivalry," let's lay down a few consistent strong games.

Now, Dayton/WO-S is looking like a rivalry, though we've won them all so far ;)

One game or one winning season does not make a rivalry.  I agree, it takes years.  I mean, look at PNG/Nederland, just finished their 87th year...now THATS A RIVALRY!  I do think, from reading the posts, that there is a lot of 'heat' between Lumberton/Dayton, but far from a rivalry as yet.  I believe, like someone else has stated, that next year, the Lumberton/Dayton game will definitely be a war!

It is no rivalry in the sense that most people talk about. I think of an archrival as the team that you really want to beat above all others. If you could only win one game a year, this would be it. It could be Texas and Texas A&M, USC and UCLA or Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins. It may be Nederland and PN-G or Silsbee and Jasper.

In my mind, the other team has to feel the same way, otherwise it isn't an archrival. Some Vidor fans seem to keep trying to make Nederland into an archrival. That is okay I guess but to most Nederland fans, Vidor is nothing more than an afterthought. Sure they win every few years but who cares, it is just another game.

Every team that you play is a rival in the sense that it an opponent but a rivalry game goes deeper than that. I don't see how Dayton and Lumberton as a rivalry game. It will be interesting to see if Dayton can avenge their loss from this year but not much more. Since I think that a rivalry game is a two-way street, the Dayton fans on here can tell you if they feel like Lumberton is the team that they will now start looking forward to beating every year. 

Guest beards_bro

If Dayton is still in 22-4A next year, the Lumberton - Dayton game will be a war.

Hopefully in three weeks we will play again (without a secret meeting the day of the game).

It would be nice if we could talk about a possible Dayton vs Lumberton rivalry without the Dayton fans constantly bringing up the "secret" meeting that they think occurred. We should all be past this by now but obviously some of them are not as we can see by this statement. The playoffs have already begun and we are in the second week now, so the "secret" meeting does not have any effect whatsoever on what Dayton or Lumberton does from here on out. I think that most people that come on this website are probably sick of hearing about it by now and would like to move on and support our local teams as they advance to the next rounds of the playoffs. Good luck to all 3 teams including Dayton, as their players cannot help what "some" of their fans say on here.

Guest beards_bro

No rivalry---as of now Lumberton is a "one hit wonder"--they are having a great run and congrats to them---but there sure are a lot of seniors on that team....

I agree that Lumberton will need to have more winning seasons from here on out to be considered a program that has been turned around for the long haul. I don't however like the term "one hit wonder" being used to describe this team as you have to at least give them some time and a chance...meaning, several years to see what they accomplish before you can consider them as that. I don't see our team as winning only this season. I believe that we are in this for the long haul as all of our coaches will be back I'm sure and they are the key to turning this program around. We also have a very good JV squad moving up to Varsity next year which I believe finished 8-1-1 this year. Lumberton is also steadily growing in the size of the population, so we will have more athletes to choose from due to the fact that we will have more students going to school here. There are several factors which I think will help this program stay on track and get better in the years to come and these are a few of them.

I agree that Lumberton will need to have more winning seasons from here on out to be considered a program that has been turned around for the long haul. I don't however like the term "one hit wonder" being used to describe this team as you have to at least give them some time and a chance...meaning, several years to see what they accomplish before you can consider them as that. I don't see our team as winning only this season. I believe that we are in this for the long haul as all of our coaches will be back I'm sure and they are the key to turning this program around. We also have a very good JV squad moving up to Varsity next year which I believe finished 8-1-1 this year. Lumberton is also steadily growing in the size of the population, so we will have more athletes to choose from due to the fact that we will have more students going to school here. There are several factors which I think will help this program stay on track and get better in the years to come and these are a few of them.

That sounds great and all and I am not trying to damper this years team!!!  Those kids can flat out play...  But you can't assume a turn-around for a team with no history of being a good or even decent program... That will be earned on the field like those kids did this year...  Until I am proved incorrect, which wont be for two or three years... I suspect this team to be a ONE-HIT-WONDER...  All I say is TIME will prove me wrong or right!

It would be nice if we could talk about a possible Dayton vs Lumberton rivalry without the Dayton fans constantly bringing up the "secret" meeting that they think occurred. We should all be past this by now but obviously some of them are not as we can see by this statement. The playoffs have already begun and we are in the second week now, so the "secret" meeting does not have any effect whatsoever on what Dayton or Lumberton does from here on out. I think that most people that come on this website are probably sick of hearing about it by now and would like to move on and support our local teams as they advance to the next rounds of the playoffs. Good luck to all 3 teams including Dayton, as their players cannot help what "some" of their fans say on here.

The sad thing about the "secret" thing is if Dayton loses before Lumberton in the playoffs, then we will never hear the end of the "secret meeting" and use that as an excuse. 

I personally feel that anyone from here on out that even mentions the "SECRET MEETING" be it someone from Lumberton or Dayton, first time poster or regular poster, be banned from this forum for six months.  I figure it would take Dayton fans that long to get over and forget and admit who is the better team.  Just my two cents.

The sad thing about the "secret" thing is if Dayton loses before Lumberton in the playoffs, then we will never hear the end of the "secret meeting" and use that as an excuse. 

I personally feel that anyone from here on out that even mentions the "SECRET MEETING" be it someone from Lumberton or Dayton, first time poster or regular poster, be banned from this forum for six months.  I figure it would take Dayton fans that long to get over and forget and admit who is the better team.  Just my two cents.

Good thing for us you don't make the rules.....There was no secret meeting......it really happened, but in my opinion really has no effect on our current situation. TC or LM are both upper tier teams, especially during playoff time. I'll admit who the better team is between us though...

DAYTON ;) ;)

I doubt that Dayton will stay in this district long enough to form a true rivalry.  The geography of the two schools is not conducive to a "natural" rivalry.  No doubt if Lumberton can continue it's winning ways, a new rivalry will form within the Triangle area.  There isn't really a "natural" rivalry for the Raiders since Silsbee is 3A.  Rivalries have a tendency to emerge anytime a school shows some success.

Lumberton has a great team and I expect them to give Lamarque all they can handle...  But I think they are a one hit wonder...  Make the most out of this year L-Train...  You made me a 2007 believer and took the respect by force... BUT longevity is earned not assumed!!!

I disagree.  I think this year has given Lumberton a lot of momentum and motivation for the future.  Credeur has worked hard, knows what it takes to get a team to the playoffs, added to this, I have NEVER seen the outpouring of fans like I have this year with the Lumberton fans.  I know a lot of folks don't take that much stock in fans, but I do.  PNG has a HUGE fan base and yes, they are instrumental in getting the Indians pumped and ready for each game.  I see Lumberton fans the same way....they love their Raiders and will be ther for them.  I honestly think this year is a turning point for the Raiders.....they'll be back again next year!

Go Raiders !

Scalp 'em Indians!

Lumberton is not just a "ONE HIT WONDER" ....... for about 6 or 7 years Lumberton has been getting a new type of player coming from the bigger inner city ....... not taking away from kids that was raised all their life and their parents also from Lumberton!  To be a WINNER you have to hate to loose! These MEN HATE to LOOSE!

If Lumberton keeps good quality coaching this will continue!  There's some new kids in town!  GO L-TRAIN!

Lumberton is not just a "ONE HIT WONDER" ....... for about 6 or 7 years Lumberton has been getting a new type of player coming from the bigger inner city ....... not taking away from kids that was raised all their life and their parents also from Lumberton!  To be a WINNER you have to hate to loose! These MEN HATE to LOOSE!

If Lumberton keeps good quality coaching this will continue!  There's some new kids in town!  GO L-TRAIN!

Lumberton may turn out to be one of the "elite" teams in the future---but a one point win and a must win on the last game of the season does not make you a dynasty---repeat your success to be considered at the top---a giant step would be to knock off LaMarque

Lumberton may turn out to be one of the "elite" teams in the future---but a one point win and a must win on the last game of the season does not make you a dynasty---repeat your success to be considered at the top---a giant step would be to knock off LaMarque

Just keep up with RAIDER FOOTBALL and you will see what I'm talking about ..... harder athletes .....just need to keep top level coaches!

Good thing for us you don't make the rules.....There was no secret meeting......it really happened, but in my opinion really has no effect on our current situation. TC or LM are both upper tier teams, especially during playoff time. I'll admit who the better team is between us though...

DAYTON ;) ;)

SO! Dayton be thankful that you don't have Lamarque second round...  If there was a secret meeting Dayton benefitted more than Lumberton!

Elite players like Hussey are not guarenteed every year...  There are teams around here that compete every year and don't have elite players coming every year...  And when that player comes along it makes that team even stronger.  The dynamic of highschool football changes often and can't be predicted. Keep growing and find yoiurself in 5A and that is an entirely new playing field! I hope you guys prove me wrong but it takes more than a season to claim a turning point!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed