Soccer All District Question(s)

dav-joel

In an 8 team district - how many 1st Team and 2nd Team players should be named?

Should there be Honorable Mention?

How many total?

Do you feel that naming 50 to 60 players to an "elite squad" is little overboard?

Add what you like ---

(Go Dynamo -- I'll be there Saturday Night)

In an 8 team district - how many 1st Team and 2nd Team players should be named?

Should there be Honorable Mention?

How many total?

Do you feel that naming 50 to 60 players to an "elite squad" is little overboard?

Add what you like ---

(Go Dynamo -- I'll be there Saturday Night)

One year we had a courtesy runner make all-district in baseball. At least he was pretty good though

First of all, you are obviously referencing our local 4A district which has TEN teams not EIGHT.

Next, ask yourself what is the purpose of having All-District Teams?  To honor young men for their athleticism and commitment, or to single out a certain percentage of the elite from the top programs?

Since this has become quite a bit of obsession with you, and you seem to feel so violated by the fact that soccer (along with many other team sports in the area) would have the audacity to water down their post season awards with so many kids, why don't you do some research on the rest of the state and other sports and compare how they do things to our system.

As a coach, if I'm going to mess up, I'd rather the yahoo's accuse us of naming too many kids than have a few deserving kids not get named because of politics or numbers.

What's your number?  The best 11?  Who get's to pick?  Coaches?  Media (Yea, right!)?

Wow young fellow - Your sounding pretty hostile and a little shaken up. Take a breath --- Be Cool. If you don't want to give your a opinion no sweat. I do have quite an interest in this subject and am not obsessed but it is important.......

However you have a good point. I should have given my opinion, (and here it is)

11 players on first team

11 players on 2nd team

1 newcomer of the year

Just asking a few questions -  sort of a poll and there is a VERY good reason for this.

You failed to answer one important question.  Who picks the team?  And are they going to be at the games watching them since on night does not make a star.  Newcomer of the Year is least important..  but I think MVP is more important and would be the easier choice.  What one player is making a difference in their teams win and loss record.  Offensive player and defensive is better awards.  Defenders get little respect except from real soccer people.  Now for newcomer of the year.  Is that freshman .. are any players that havejust moved up to varsity.  I would agree that something would be better but for now its as good as it gets..... and its in all the awards across all sports. 

Who cares about how many people make all-district. I doubt there are alot of players who play the sport to make it anyways. They play because they love it and to represent their school. If 50-60 kids make all district thats just a +. Why try to make somthing that is suppose to be a posative turn into a negative!? One more thing... 99.9% of the kids who made it last year DID earn it... Im saying that as a player.

i say:

11 1st team all district

11 2nd team all district

15-20 honorable mention

anyone winning a special award (off. mvp, def. mvp, mvp, utility player, ect.) does not take up a spot on the all district teams. 

it's nice to give kids awards, but it defeats the purpose if half the district gets one.  what's next, 1st and 2nd team all-district substitute and jv teams?

i say:

11 1st team all district

11 2nd team all district

15-20 honorable mention

anyone winning a special award (off. mvp, def. mvp, mvp, utility player, ect.) does not take up a spot on the all district teams. 

it's nice to give kids awards, but it defeats the purpose if half the district gets one.  what's next, 1st and 2nd team all-district substitute and jv teams?

Bullets13 -  Thanks for the reply - I agree with you.  It has always been approximately the number of starters fielded that would make up the first team. A second team of similar numbers and hon. mention.

Until recently this is how it has been in various teams sports I have been associated with for the last 51 years.

Each school has criteria for qualifying for a varsity letter and there is generally an athletic banquet held to give standout awards at the team level.

Now its seems that some (of the early posters) would like to give every participant an all district recognition to feel good about themselves and to "avoid criticism from yahoos". I say for them, order 200 trophies, have a pizza party, and name EVERYBODY all-district. (Group hugs afterwards)

for the fter that.and most the

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness the football coaches only allowed 69 kids on the First and Second All-District Teams this year!  :o

Feel free to go over to the football board and tell those guys that there's too many players named for what's supposed to be an "elite" squad.

http://www.setxsports.com/setxforum/index.php?topic=30467.30

Thank goodness the football coaches only allowed 69 kids on the First and Second All-District Teams this year!   :o

Feel free to go over to the football board and tell those guys that there's too many players named for what's supposed to be an "elite" squad.

http://www.setxsports.com/setxforum/index.php?topic=30467.30

i think i will, actually.

The only reason i can see for having more than 11 on 1st and 2nd team all district is if your saying its like an actual team, which wont have only 11 players, they will have back ups...

if your just saying it as just the starters then i say 11 1st teamers and 11 2nd teamers with about 10-15 honerable mentions...

if your stating it as an actual "full" team then id say 15-18 1st teamers and 15-18 2nd teamers with about 10-15 honerable mentions still...

it just depends on how you want to state it...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder