Kansas team scores 72 in first quarter; wins 83-0

Kansas team scores 72 in first quarter; wins 83-0

SMITH CENTER, Kan. -- Smith Center scored 72 points in the first quarter of a high school football game Tuesday night on the way to an 83-0 win over Plainville, according to a report in the Salina, Kan., Journal.

Smith Center forced six turnovers in the first quarter as it racked up what is believed to be a record for points in a quarter by a high school team, the paper reported. The previous record was 66 by Prescott, Ariz., in 1925.

The defending state champion has outscored its opponents 640-0 so far this season, including a 69-0 win over Plainville earlier this year.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Quality of football? whatever.

I want to know if there is some sort of mercy rule in Kansas.

11 points in the next 3 qtrs?

Maybe 2 safeties and a touchdown and point after?  ?  ?

There's gotta be a mercy rule. 

My point exactly. The quality of Kansas HS football is pretty low.

This "Mercy Rule" thing is starting to get under my skin (Not just this, but from the NFL as well). I don't believe in a "Mercy Rule". If we are going to start worrying about "Feelings" then we need to take the scoreboards away and just have "Fun". Maybe we can even have cupcake parties after the games (I meant activities). I have been on both sides of the scoreboard. I have always felt that sometimes you need to get the holy crap beat out of you. It makes you re-evaluate where you are and it makes you realize what you need to do so it doesn't happen again. I don't think it's right for a team to prepare all week on a gameplan, maybe have better athletes and have to play your subs for 3 quarters. What good did the starters get out of this ? It's just like the real world. When you lose your job or you don't get to live the lifestyle you want too, you can't just pout about it. You have to "Man-up", raise your chin, and get back to work. I know some of you are going to say that this is Football, and it is supposed to be fun. Well if it's supposed to be fun, tell that to the coaches that work 7 days a week and get evaluated on their W's & L's on Friday Nights. If you want a "Mercy Rule", you better hope you don't play me. I teach my kids to play like we practice. If we can score 100, then we will. If we get beat by 100, then we lose the game and we get better from it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont